Anyone Driven or Own a Dodge Charger?

On 3/24/2016 at 0:54 AM, adrynalyne said:

My Mustang is pretty spacious in the front two seats. 

I'm 6'2 and have a 2003 Mustang. The leg room is fine and the two front seats can fit my size person without issues. The back seat is another story.........

Test drove a $39K 2016 Dodge Charger RT last week.  Please note....I am not a car reviewer ... but these are just some of my notes.

Pros:  Good looking car.  Good exhaust "note".  Nice features throughout...rear view camera, phone friendly, dual zone climate, touch screen is responsive, nice soft material on the interior, seats were comfortable with many adjustable options (not sure about long drives), controls on steering wheel nicely laid out, TFT instrument cluster is pretty good (lots of information can be displayed like transmission temp), rear wheel drive, pretty big trunk space, audio system was ok (not great but certainly not bad...just flat I guess).  Driving:  Good brake response.  steering was sporty and responsive, good cabin noise level, very good acceleration, good throttle response, good transmission shifts (on the upshifts), 

Cons:  Panel gap everywhere in the interior.  Chrome...especially on the steering wheel...sun kept getting me (same with the Toyota Avalon...chrome on steering wheels are friggin annoying).  Overall, the interior was acceptable to-the-touch ... however ... it "felt" and looked cheap as there was a lot of "play" between the various input devices ... such as you can wiggle the shifter.  Rearward visibility was lacking due to the huge seat pillar, rear seat passenger space is great for midgets, passenger sitting middle rear seat will need trip to ER, voice commands for navigation (and in general) was worthless.  Driving:  Transmission was a bit rough on downshifts and the drive was also a bit rough for my liking...felt "heavy" almost "boatish"

3 out 5.  I crossed this car off of my list ... mostly due to the interior (where you spend 100% of the time driving).  

I have to say that having chrome on my steering wheels don't bother me.   My steering wheels aren't at an angle where they can catch the sun, with the little chrome trim they have. 

Most higher end cars have some chrome on the steering wheels or around the badge. 

26 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I have to say that having chrome on my steering wheels don't bother me.   My steering wheels aren't at an angle where they can catch the sun, with the little chrome trim they have. 

Most higher end cars have some chrome on the steering wheels or around the badge. 

Last year when I went to San Antonio for a week the rental car was a (I think 2014) Toyota Avalon.  The c-shaped chrome around the steering wheel was beyond annoying as many times I would receive painful glares of sunlight...even while using sunglasses.   When I drove the Charger, the chrome encircles the airbag/horn portion ... which "got me" a few times during the drive...though I wasn't wearing sunglasses.

56 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Test drove a $39K 2016 Dodge Charger RT last week.  Please note....I am not a car reviewer ... but these are just some of my notes.

Pros:  Good looking car.  Good exhaust "note".  Nice features throughout...rear view camera, phone friendly, dual zone climate, touch screen is responsive, nice soft material on the interior, seats were comfortable with many adjustable options (not sure about long drives), controls on steering wheel nicely laid out, TFT instrument cluster is pretty good (lots of information can be displayed like transmission temp), rear wheel drive, pretty big trunk space, audio system was ok (not great but certainly not bad...just flat I guess).  Driving:  Good brake response.  steering was sporty and responsive, good cabin noise level, very good acceleration, good throttle response, good transmission shifts (on the upshifts), 

Cons:  Panel gap everywhere in the interior.  Chrome...especially on the steering wheel...sun kept getting me (same with the Toyota Avalon...chrome on steering wheels are friggin annoying).  Overall, the interior was acceptable to-the-touch ... however ... it "felt" and looked cheap as there was a lot of "play" between the various input devices ... such as you can wiggle the shifter.  Rearward visibility was lacking due to the huge seat pillar, rear seat passenger space is great for midgets, passenger sitting middle rear seat will need trip to ER, voice commands for navigation (and in general) was worthless.  Driving:  Transmission was a bit rough on downshifts and the drive was also a bit rough for my liking...felt "heavy" almost "boatish"

3 out 5.  I crossed this car off of my list ... mostly due to the interior (where you spend 100% of the time driving).  

Very different from base model. The steering in the base model is so disconnected, it isn't funny. Unless you are married to the idea of four doors, you might want to check out the latest Mustangs.  The interior quality has increased by quite a bit. Panel gap is going to be a thing for any car in this range unless you soak all that money into an entry luxury sedan less focused on performance.  Otherwise you get a compromise.

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Very different from base model. The steering in the base model is so disconnected, it isn't funny. Unless you are married to the idea of four doors, you might want to check out the latest Mustangs.  The interior quality has increased by quite a bit. Panel gap is going to be a thing for any car in this range unless you soak all that money into an entry luxury sedan less focused on performance.  Otherwise you get a compromise.

yep, I know.  Was just giving my little review.  Next week, I'll get driving the Q50, Fusion and probably the A4.  I do not want a 2 door.  Price really isn't of concern (under 60) ... just seeking the "best" 4-door car for the money spent (IMO).  The Charger was just a "let's see" moment ... and while nice ... I wouldn't buy one.

10 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

yep, I know.  Was just giving my little review.  Next week, I'll get driving the Q50, Fusion and probably the A4.  I do not want a 2 door.  Price really isn't of concern (under 60) ... just seeking the "best" 4-door car for the money spent (IMO).  The Charger was just a "let's see" moment ... and while nice ... I wouldn't buy one.

my dad just picked up a q50, that thing is fun.

20 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I wanted one but they just don't put down enough power for me to be enticed enough by it.

I really, really want a Lexus RC-F but you can buy two Q50s for one of those.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I had an '09 G37 for about a year before I sold it prior to deploying for a year.  Was a fun car to drive.

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wanted one but they just don't put down enough power for me to be enticed enough by it.

I really, really want a Lexus RC-F but you can buy two Q50s for one of those.

The 2016 Q50, not yet released, should be coming in three variants ... a new VR30 w/ dual turbochargers for 300HP engine (replacing the old VQ37), a hybrid with 360HP and the "red" with 400HP. :)  Thinking about just test driving the '15 model and seeing how the interior is ... then possibly hold off for the 2016 model...unless another manufacture catches me first.

(sorry for derailing the thread) :(

10 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Haven't driven the others, but noticed you has Fusion in there.  I've got a Taurus SEL with the V6, and it's a pretty peppy ride, even with the weight.  It's not a sloppy handler, per se, but hits it's limits pretty quickly when corners are tight.  Other than that, I love the car.  You could look at a SHO which would be well within your range.  I have not been a Ford fan my whole life, but girlfriend at the time talked me into this.  Glad I went with it.

I have been thinking about a Charger myself, lately, so interesting discussion.  I REALLY want a musclecar of some sort for next one.

42 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

I had an '09 G37 for about a year before I sold it prior to deploying for a year.  Was a fun car to drive.

The 2016 Q50, not yet released, should be coming in three variants ... a new VR30 w/ dual turbochargers for 300HP engine (replacing the old VQ37), a hybrid with 360HP and the "red" with 400HP. :)  Thinking about just test driving the '15 model and seeing how the interior is ... then possibly hold off for the 2016 model...unless another manufacture catches me first.

I'm guessing the "red" edition will add another 15k to the price tag. I'm a horsepower junky.

22 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

Haven't driven the others, but noticed you has Fusion in there.  I've got a Taurus SEL with the V6, and it's a pretty peppy ride, even with the weight.  It's not a sloppy handler, per se, but hits it's limits pretty quickly when corners are tight.  Other than that, I love the car.  You could look at a SHO which would be well within your range.  I have not been a Ford fan my whole life, but girlfriend at the time talked me into this.  Glad I went with it.

I have been thinking about a Charger myself, lately, so interesting discussion.  I REALLY want a musclecar of some sort for next one.

I hear ya.  That why I got my Mustang. Muscle cars are fun. I don't know if I will get another one, but I am really enjoying this one despite gas prices starting to rise again.

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm guessing the "red" edition will add another 15k to the price tag. I'm a horsepower junky.

yea, I read somewhere that it'll be in the mid 50's (base Q50 w/ V6 will be low 40s).  Haven't seen the actual MSRPs though...not even listed on the Infiniti website.

If your height is the main concern, might I offer an couple of alternatives?

The Chrysler 300C (yes yes, it's a terrible car, whatever) Reason: Jeremy Clarkson is 6 foot 5, and he adjusted the seat until he looked miniscule in it.. Also I'm 6 foot 1, and have tried adjusting the driver seat and can confirm this.

Or

A Used BMW 5 or 7 series, Carefully chosen, they're good for legroom, not brilliant, but not bad neither

1 minute ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

If your height is the main concern, might I offer an couple of alternatives?

The Chrysler 300C (yes yes, it's a terrible car, whatever) Reason: Jeremy Clarkson is 6 foot 5, and he adjusted the seat until he looked miniscule in it.. Also I'm 6 foot 1, and have tried adjusting the driver seat and can confirm this.

Or

A Used BMW 5 or 7 series, Carefully chosen, they're good for legroom, not brilliant, but not bad neither

I wouldn't kick an SRT8 300 out of bed for eating crackers.

• Like 2

Just now, adrynalyne said:

I wouldn't kick an SRT8 300 out of bed for eating crackers.

I personally love the Caddy CTS-V I can't help it, (Episode of Top Gear where the trio went to Reno in one, a Corvette, and a New Challenger... I'm a Saloon (Sedan) kinda guy)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

I personally love the Caddy CTS-V I can't help it, (Episode of Top Gear where the trio went to Reno in one, a Corvette, and a New Challenger... I'm a Saloon (Sedan) kinda guy)

Yeah, those aren't your grandpa's Caddys ;)

uvlt32ovat5fgeovt226.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

That is a very nice car ... but ... oooof ... that price.

2 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Again - sorry for derailing the thread as well...

Im in a 2015 Q50 right now.  My G37 is having some work done on it.  I would love to drive one of the supped-up versions because the plain vanilla is no slouch.  We are going to talk to the dealership about buying the 2015 demo we have (only 2000 miles) as my fiance really likes it.

When I get my car back - I think I will sell it, and my soul for something I shouldnt buy :devil:

2 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

That is a very nice car ... but ... oooof ... that price.

Yes, unfortunately (or fortunately) it keeps cars like this out of the reach of most people (just like the exotics)