ESXi 6 Update 2

has anyone installed this yet?

The new VMWare Host Client looks very interesting.  Was wondering if anyone could comment on how well it works.

I'll probably try putting it on one of my boxes next week.

Yeah I installed it when it came out... You could pretty much get rid of the client now since they add the web interface right to the host.  Have not played a lot with it yet, but sure seems to have all the primary features there.

It does take a bit to come up compared to the client, but then again my host is a getting a bit long in the tooth.

hostclient.png

Looks interesting.  I like the idea of being to admin my hypervisor from my Chromebook without RDP/VNC or a special management VM.

I am going to blow away my XenServer installation and give it a go today.

One thing I have noticed which is just a cosmetic thing is the page does not size to fill the info you might be showing..  So for example

Maybe this is just  a firefox thing, or maybe caused by some addon I have?  But notice how the graph is cut off.. Unless I collapse the menu items above it.

windowsizing.thumb.png.3358db738f2209c60

This is clearly just cosmetic.. But one of those its not quite fully polished things that jump out at you.  Or maybe I just run my screen at too low of res?  (1920x1080)  Other thing that again is just cosmetic is that there is no space on the left when you log in ;) 

And again - its not FAST..  But that could just be that its running on older microserver that is running quite a few VMs 24/7/365..  I for sure won't be removing my vclient for sure - but it might come in handy when your using a machine that does not have the client installed.  For sure no you can admin from linux, which before was an issue since there is no vclient for linux.

In my case, I'm actually testing the install under Hyper-V (for two reasons - I haven't worked with ESXi bare-metal in years, and Hyper-V actually *does* support X.Org pretty decently in my experience so far - much to my shock; what I'm wondering is the current state of the art of the ESXi front-end admin-wise).

How long would it *normally* take to trigger the installer?

• 3 weeks later...

I switched ISP so going to take the chance to move my pfesene, esxi and Media server to a SSD i have spare

so will try out this update :)

I installed it and am very impressed. The Host Client is cool. Works on any modern browser I have thrown at it including my Mac and ChromeOS, Edge, Firefox and Chrome. A little buggy in places but cool to be able to manage the server without having to fire up a client on a Windows machine. 

Also took a look at Photon OS with which I managed to spin up what is essentially a lightweight Linux install in 25 seconds from an ISO to a working prompt. Well worth checking out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Your link is for vcenter not the host embedded client which here and is version 1.3.0 build 3841871 (Fling 8)

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

I just updated mine

[root@esxi:~] esxcli software vib update -v http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxui/esxui-signed-3841871.vib
Installation Result
   Reboot Required: false
   VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.3.0-3841871
   VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.0.0-3617585
   VIBs Skipped:
[root@esxi:~]

hostupdated.png

Looks like they added some scroll bars now - so don't have to collapse the menus above to check out the graph ;)

scrollbar.png

You're right, sorry, they're sort of feeding off of each others progress. I've been following both of them pretty closely but obviously got my links crossed.

You can actually install/update from the web interface. Also useful for installing other VIB files.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2015/11/neat-way-of-installing-or-updating-any-vib-using-just-the-esxi-embedded-host-client.html

that is pretty slick... But I am a big cmd line guy, so as you see posted one command and I am done ;)