Let’s Admit It: Manual Transmissions Need to Go

21 hours ago, Solid Knight said:

The worst part of driving a manual is being on a steep hill at a dead stop before the top.

This is why we're trained to use the handbrake, and find the bite point on the clutch

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sc302 said:

there are cars that are hitting the max speed that these supercars are in a 1/4 mile with automatics...hitting between 250 and 300 mph

a lot of Top Fuel Dragsters still use a 4 speed manual

22 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Maybe its limited to higher performance vehicles then.

I average 22mpg with my GT with city only driving. I've not met anyone with a manual yet who can match that. 

A carefully driven diesel :devil: will blitz that figure :p 

17 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

This is the thing dude, I'm not an auto hater, I'm just passionate about the things I happen to be passionate about, (in this case pros vs cons in their relation to auto and manual transmissions) Any manual car, truck, whatever, can be all things to all people, autos have come a long way, no doubt, but auto car, is in no way, a 'jack of all trades' answer like a manual is currently, when autos rival manuals in being able to take the pressures manuals have to (especially concerning abuse workloads <towing more than the vehicle is capable of, and so on>) I'll take it back

Fwiw most pickups are auto,  haven't been in many that are manual. 1/2 to 1 ton,  to ambulances to many other trucks. It is the rigs and dump trucks that have more manuals than autos.   Fwiw I tow with 1/2 to 1 ton pickups, there are very few, even in the hd line,  that are offered with a manual...all geared for towing some even with a fifth wheel. 

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Fwiw most pickups are auto,  haven't been in many that are manual. 1/2 to 1 ton,  to ambulances to many other trucks. It is the rigs and dump trucks that have more manuals than autos.   Fwiw I tow with 1/2 to 1 ton pickups, there are very few, even in the hd line,  that are offered with a manual...all geared for towing some even with a fifth wheel. 

I'd like to see them when they are 10 years old with half a million or more miles on their clocks

No offence, but time has made me sceptical, (there's a reason manuals still exist)

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'd like to see them when they are 10 years old with half a million or more miles on their clocks

No offence, but time has made me sceptical, (there's a reason manuals still exist)

Many diesel trucks are still going strong at 500k

27 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Im comparing same vehicles. No diesel Mustangs out there from the factory.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

a lot of Top Fuel Dragsters still use a 4 speed manual

From what decade? 

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a12596/anatomy-of-a-top-fuel-dragster/

A five-disc dry clutch is the only link between the engine and the locked rear end—there's no transmission. "The clutch is the lifeline of the car," Oberhofer says, because it regulates wheelspin by gradually engaging and slipping as the car moves down the track. A hydraulically motivated throw-out bearing operates off a simple timer (computer controls are illegal). The clutch is tuned according to track conditions. If it engages too quickly, the tires will spin, but if it's too lazy, the car won't accelerate as fast as possible. The discs get so hot that at least two of them are welded together by the run's end.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Im comparing same vehicles. No diesel Mustangs out there from the factory.

lol I had a nerdgasm when I found out one of my fantasy cars is now closer than I had thought..

The Porsche Panamera comes in diesel

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ok, that I didn't know so I'll concede that point

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Yepper

Ok, I'll concede this point too,

(Just for my clarification, are we talking about the same truck, with the same trans fitted from the factory, doing 10 years of work without replacing the trans)?

38 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Ok, that I didn't know so I'll concede that point

Ok, I'll concede this point too,

(Just for my clarification, are we talking about the same truck, with the same trans fitted from the factory, doing 10 years of work without replacing the trans)?

yes....

Just so we are clear, they will go to 500000k miles without major service

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/ford-upgrades-2017-super-duty-work-trucks.html

find me one here that comes with a manual standard (I can do the same with GM and RAM fwiw):

http://shop.ford.com/build/superduty-commercial/#/select/

10 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

My chipped (ECU remap stage 1) 2006 2.2 CDTI Civic Ex 6-speed manual (chipped from 145 BHP to 200 BHP) can be driven like a maniac and STILL return 50MPG.

Its fun watching all the boy racers in their Civic Type-Rs being left at the lights when they try to race the "Silver old mans" Civic:p it looks totally standard and theres no indication its been chipped :p 

If i pootle along at 59MPH itll hit 58MPG easy, throw in cruise control for my commute and i see 60MPG regularly, ive had the tuning leaning towards performance over MPG but its possible to push the MPG higher that 60MPG.

throw in servicing at 12,000 mile intervals (oil n filter change on a diesel) 

My baby below :) 

20150705_202753_HDR.jpg

Next is to retrofit Type-R front & rear brakes.

Edited by Mando

10 minutes ago, Mando said:

My chipped (ECU remap stage 1) 2006 2.2 CDTI Civic Ex 6-speed manual (chipped from 145 BHP to 200 BHP) can be driven like a maniac and STILL return 50MPG.

Its fun watching all the boy racers in their Civic Type-Rs being left at the lights when they try to race the "Silver old mans" Civic:p it looks totally standard and theres no indication its been chipped :p 

If i pootle along at 59MPH itll hit 58MPG easy, throw in cruise control for my commute and i see 60MPG regularly, ive had the tuning leaning towards performance over MPG but its possible to push the MPG higher that 60MPG.

throw in servicing at 12,000 mile intervals (oil n filter change on a diesel) 

It's a shame that those TDIs are so dirty to achieve those mpg numbers. I also don't think you would be claiming victory over the new Type Rs ;)

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It's a shame that those TDIs are so dirty to achieve those mpg numbers. I also don't think you would be claiming victory over the Type Rs ;)

the Honda 2.2 CDTI engine is one of the cleaner TDi engines mate ;) also not all TDI engines belch out CO2, check Audis Lemans car ;) my CO2 emissions are that low i get a reduction on my road tax in the UK. 

And yes, its well documented that a stage 1 chipped 2006-2009 2.2cdti will beat a standard 2006-2009 Type-R off the blocks ;) the 2006 cdti was detuned at factory as it outperformed their flagship Type-R petrol, thanks to the large turbo fitted by Honda. ;) after 2009 (post mk9s) the 2.2 CDTI was dropped for the 1.9 CDTI iirc in all diesel civics. Its also one of the reasons the 2.2 CDTI 2006 onward smodels hold their value more than petrol vriants (not inc Type-R) theres nothing quite like the Turbo whoosh from passenger footwell when driving solo

to confirm were talking same era of Cvic it beats, not the new Type-R :) i wish lol thats the next model for me i think.

Edited by Mando

1 minute ago, Mando said:

the Honda 2.2 CDTI engine is one of the cleaner TDi engines mate ;) and yes, its well documented that a stage 1 chipped 2006-2009 2.2cdti will beat a standard 2006-2009 Type-R off the blocks ;) the 2006 cdti was detuned at factory as it outperformed their flagship Type-R petrol, thanks to the large turbo fitted by Honda. ;) after 2009 (post mk9s) the accord 2.2 CDTI was dropped for the 1.9 CDTI iirc.

I wa thinking VW when you said TDI. My bad. That said, new CTR is pushing 310 HP. Still think you could take it?

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wa thinking VW when you said TDI. My bad. That said, new CTR is pushing 310 HP. Still think you could take it?

hell no :) ive driven the new Type-R and holy moly, thats one seriously rapid motor :) easily matches my mates Golf-R but the Golf-R feels way more rapid due to the 4WD allowing faster corner taking.

been pricing the Type-R with club pack and holy crap its over £31,000 otr. I like it, but not that much! :D

10 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

lol I had a nerdgasm when I found out one of my fantasy cars is now closer than I had thought..

The Porsche Panamera comes in diesel

its a dammed pretty MPV to boot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

It's a shame that those TDIs are so dirty to achieve those mpg numbers. I also don't think you would be claiming victory over the new Type Rs ;)

You'd be surprised, I outdragged a civic type r in a ford galaxy, OK I had an unfair advantage, but when the little mummy's boy wanted a rematch, I destroyed him again in the same ford galaxy minivan. They're not as hot as they once used to be.

You'd be surprised, I outdragged a civic type r in a ford galaxy, OK I had an unfair advantage, but when the little mummy's boy wanted a rematch, I destroyed him again in the same ford galaxy minivan. They're not as hot as they once used to be.

20 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

In triplicate :D

I was very specific to say new CTRs. They are entirely different beasts.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

In triplicate :D

I was very specific to say new CTRs. They are entirely different beasts.

Yes, I did try to fix the post and clarify that I was referring to a 2012 civic type r, but then I got that frigging glitch post and gave up.