Let’s Admit It: Manual Transmissions Need to Go

Porsche 911 to lose the manual gearbox after next-gen model?

FRANKFURT, Germany — Porsche has indicated that it is unlikely to develop another manual gearbox for the 911.

Speaking at a technical presentation for the face-lifted version of the 991 series 911, Thomas Brandl, the engineer responsible for the new engine range, admitted it would be difficult to build a business case for a new manual transmission.

"As long as the gearbox exists, we will use it," Brandl told Edmunds, "but it would be very difficult to justify the investment needed to develop a new gearbox when little more than 10 percent of buyers choose it."

More at Edmunds.

21 hours ago, Mando said:

My chipped (ECU remap stage 1) 2006 2.2 CDTI Civic Ex 6-speed manual (chipped from 145 BHP to 200 BHP) can be driven like a maniac and STILL return 50MPG.

Its fun watching all the boy racers in their Civic Type-Rs being left at the lights when they try to race the "Silver old mans" Civic:p it looks totally standard and theres no indication its been chipped :p 

If i pootle along at 59MPH itll hit 58MPG easy, throw in cruise control for my commute and i see 60MPG regularly, ive had the tuning leaning towards performance over MPG but its possible to push the MPG higher that 60MPG.

throw in servicing at 12,000 mile intervals (oil n filter change on a diesel) 

My baby below :) 

20150705_202753_HDR.jpg

Next is to retrofit Type-R front & rear brakes.

To bad Diesels regularly have to pay taxes in cities or are even banned on odd/even las plate numbers days due to the high particle emissions. 

Except that that car is way to small. Can't fit a great pyrenees in there(well you probably could but...) much less a bunch of large RC aircraft :p

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

To bad Diesels regularly have to pay taxes in cities or are even banned on odd/even las plate numbers days due to the high particle emissions. 

yer which is comical as pretty most all new High compression diesels spit out less harmfuls than a cat based petrol engine, Funny they dont attack the real polluters of HGVs and buses poorly maintained. 

for example, what happens when you start a petrol engine with a catalytic convertor fitted? Yup it spits out all the hydrocarbons, CO2, sulhpur etc etc sitting in the cat on start up, rendering the cat pretty much pointless, you know the scenario, car in front plants the foot on accel and all everyone smells is rotten eggs ;) sulphur dioxide spewing out to the atmosphere, which is a contributing factor to Acid raid (sulphuric acid)

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

yer which is comical as pretty most all new High compression diesels spit out less harmfuls than a cat based petrol engine, Funny they dont attack the real polluters of HGVs and buses poorly maintained. 

for example, what happens when you start a petrol engine with a catalytic convertor fitted? Yup it spits out all the hydrocarbons, CO2 etc sitting in the cat on start up, rendering the cat pretty much pointless.

They spit out "less" of the harmful gasses, but more particles. and particles is the big issue in cities. Diesels are far worse for your lungs, and breathing, never minds asthmasufferers and allergics. and may be part of what cases asthma in many people as well. 

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

They spit out "less" of the harmful gasses, but more particles. and particles is the big issue in cities. Diesels are far worse for your lungs, and breathing, never minds asthmasufferers and allergics. and may be part of what cases asthma in many people as well. 

sorry yes, its early i mistook particles for gaseous emissions :) sorry buddy, I agree with you.

overall though, for air quality, all combustion engines need to go though :/

of course in here you're likely to be banned from entering cities or paying a tax anyway in winter. some days/weeks they have to ban half the cars(based on plates) due to all the particle dust created from studded tires. and every few years they have a studded tires tax in some cities, before they change their minds again, then they change it again and ...  problem is that in some cities further up north studded really is the way to go no matter how good the non studded ones have gotten. 

Don't forget all modern diesels are fitted with a particle filter (in Europe at least), which traps all the particles and burns them off. If you see a modern diesel belching out black smoke you know it's had the DPF removed - which is illegal now here in the UK.

I'm not saying DPFs are a blessing (just another thing to service on a diesel), but they certainly eliminate the particle argument. Plus with a manual box you can control the engine revs - keep them nice and high for a few miles to get the exhaust hot and burn the particles off in the filter. Completely ruining the efficiency argument :laugh::laugh::laugh:

They don't need to go. I know a lot of people who actually like driving manuals but for me, oh god the clutch pushing is pissing me off since we got A LOT of traffic lights and what not around here. It's just easier for me to push in D and go. I can't stand driving manuals as the clutch and gear shift alone makes me angry at times. Even more if the 1'st and reverse are ON THE SAME SPOT. Who does that? Satan? The old merc I drove had it as "6th" gear. The newer cars I've drive all have it on the same as the first gear put you need to pull the lever up. It's retarded if you ask me.

But different people have different taste so I'd say leave it be but automatics should become the norm not the other way around. Don't know why but all the automatics cost a ton more here than the manuals.

19 minutes ago, Biohead said:

Don't forget all modern diesels are fitted with a particle filter (in Europe at least), which traps all the particles and burns them off.

No. 

• 2 weeks later...
On April 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM, The Evil Overlord said:

I was hoping to drop out of this conversation, but I can actually disagree on a point made here, as I've driven 2 rental Honda civics, one was an auto, over 260 miles in each (basically, from north of Birmingham to London, and back) and the manual returned better fuel economy than the auto, holding a steady (driver operated, and not cruise control) 49 miles per hour I used way less fuel in the manual as the auto kept changing gears, engine idle at approx. 1800 rpm.

This is 100% right. Depending on the gear I switch too I can get more kms for my buck. Albeit it's not like you can just pick up a manual and save gas. You need to learn it and most importantly feel it.

• Like 1