Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) Final Beta Is Now Available for Download

Thomas the Tank Engine

We've already told you earlier that today is the release day for the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) Final Beta operating system, along with the Beta 2 builds of the opt-in flavors.

This is the first-ever public Beta build of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus), despite the fact that Canonical calls it "Final Beta," as some of the opt-in flavors had already been participating in the Alpha, Alpha 2, and Beta 1 milestones. Unfortunately, Edubuntu won't be released as part of Xenial Xerus.

As part of today's Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) Final Beta release, users can download and test the Beta 2 builds of the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS, Xubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu Kylin 16.04 LTS, Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS, Kubuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu Core 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 LTS, and Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS.

Please click any of the links above to see what new features have landed for each of the opt-in Ubuntu flavors for the Final Beta (a.k.a. Beta 2) milestone. As for the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Final Beta, we've listed below some of its highlights and, of course, all the download links.

"The beta images are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while representing a very recent snapshot of 16.04 that should be representative of the features intended to ship with the final release expected on April 21st, 2016." said Adam Conrad, Software Engineer at Canonical.

What's new in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Final Beta

Release highlights of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) Final Beta include the latest, long-term supported Linux kernel 4.4.6, the ability to move the Unity Launcher to the bottom of the screen, though, the option remains hidden, for now. Then, there are LibreOffice 5.1.1, GNOME Software as the default package manager, and GNOME Calendar.

Read the rest: http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubuntu-16-04-lts-xenial-xerus-final-beta-is-now-available-for-download-502151.shtml

• Like 2
Unobscured Vision

Ahh very good. I've got VM images to update. :yes: 

• Like 1
simonlang

i will give this one a try in virtualbox today :)

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Updating my 16.04 MATE VM completely destroyed it, sadly. Guess I download a fresh ISO and reinstall from the new image.

Kubuntu and Ubuntu, however, seem to be pretty well-behaved. The KDE Plasma version inside isn't the 5.6, but rather the older 5.5.x series. I assume that 5.6 will be available via backport.

chrisj1968

if I want to install this, 

1 Do I shutdown my UEFI settings in my bios

2 Do I set it to CSM boot

3 or do I install this Ubuntu 16.04 first?

I'm not very well versed with dual booting now with UEFI...

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

1) Don't turn it off. http://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-16-04-installation-guide/ is a good reference. Ubuntu is perfectly happy with UEFI now.

2) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Set_up_the_firmware_in_UEFI_or_BIOS.2FCSM.2FLegacy_mode Not sure about that one, bud. Try it without CSM, if it isn't working, try it with.

3) The suggested way is always if you're uncomfortable doing it, don't do it. :yes: 

Ravensky
35 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

1) Don't turn it off. http://www.tecmint.com/ubuntu-16-04-installation-guide/ is a good reference. Ubuntu is perfectly happy with UEFI now.

2) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Set_up_the_firmware_in_UEFI_or_BIOS.2FCSM.2FLegacy_mode Not sure about that one, bud. Try it without CSM, if it isn't working, try it with.

3) The suggested way is always if you're uncomfortable doing it, don't do it. :yes: 

like launching kittens into outer space?

• Like 1
Unobscured Vision

Yes. :rofl:

Ravensky
1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

if I want to install this, 

1 Do I shutdown my UEFI settings in my bios

2 Do I set it to CSM boot

3 or do I install this Ubuntu 16.04 first?

I'm not very well versed with dual booting now with UEFI...

use Rufus and install it onto a thumb drive and boot with that to try it out =)

Thomas the Tank Engine
Just now, Ravensky said:

use Rufus and install it onto a thumb drive and boot with that to try it out =)

Why do that just to try it out, I am pretty sure 16.04 LTS has the ability to run as a live cd.

Ravensky
1 minute ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Why do that just to try it out, I am pretty sure 16.04 LTS has the ability to run as a live cd.

yeah live CD on a USB Drive...