WinME, Can it be good?

Yes, i agree with you Luna, but this install is for a low spec machine : AMD 333 w/ 196MB RAM on 550MB HD

I am pretty damn sure XP won't deal with it nicely.... much less even install.

The only problem with the spec is the hdd space. An upgrade of Xp will ask for 600mb spare, if my memory serves correctly. Although I get around 1.5gig used after a format and default install.

My lounge PC is P3:450mhz:128mb:4.5gb , and it is running XP as sweet as you like.

Disk drives are cheap as chips, a 4gb will cost you about a ?5 at a PC warehouse. You'll have Xp running in no time.

?can WinME be good? ?:ermm::ermm:

Short Answer: NO. :|

If you know what?s good for you, keep it away from small children, old people, and your parents. And don?t touch it. You don?t know when it will explode again.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Really Long Answer: Thank God for the Windows NT kernel which makes Windows 2000 and Windows XP possible. After using XP for just over a year now, and prior to that, Windows 2000 for roughly 11 months, I feel like I have finally awaken from a long dark-age of verbal screaming fits at my PC.

Trust and believe: you haven?t been on a Microsoft legacy windows box until you experience the supreme joy of finding a solution to a problem, (don?t forget about the half-dozen others waiting for you) only to find that 3 weeks later, said solution doesn?t correct the same problem even though you, the operator, have not modified the system. There?s nothing like fixes that break down. Nothing else like it in the world. It?s like Windows adapts to counter your corrections in order to remain a total and completely permanent pain in the ass that will ultimately demand medical attention and psychological reconstruction. And this is just Windows 98 I?m being all warm and fuzzy about here. Windows Millennium Edition? OH. MY. GOD. This is how Microsoft spells ?greed?: ? W I N D O W S M E? WinME, beyond all reasonable doubt, is a crack snorting, monkey raping, inner child eater. Abandon all hope, ye who log on here. Never, and I mean NEVER in my entire life have I used such shoddy rip-off and cheap excuse for bugware posing as an OS.

I've never been able to sit at any WinME PC for more than 20 minutes without some kind of routine lockup or inexplicable system delay that causes the machine to behave more apathetic than some gothic teen with a weed up his ass. In most cases, this pile of pig vomit can do no more than respond with a draconian blue screen which ever so kindly informs you that ?the system? is ?waiting? for a ?close dialog? box to magically appear from the heavens. Now sit down, shut up and wait. And wait. And wait some more. And? Dammit! Asinine program crashes occur with dulling regularity, and they have a way of breaking users, forcing them to accept that it is indeed actually normal and expected for an OS to get cramps and be in a bad mood. Oh yes, WinME will let you know when to get lost. Which is basically anytime you sit down to operate the bitch. Nothing says ?Not now, I have a headache? like some random ?General Protection Fault? that you haven?t seen since you booted the machine 20 minutes ago. It?s just another day in the life of a poor soul cursed with using a WinME PC.

Frustration, and ultimate surrender to instability is a way of life for the WinME nightmare experience. It has a way of making people believe they are targets of Voodoo doll curses. Use WinME and it will happen to you too. Especially if you think you?re actually having a half decent uptime going. But it won?t be a good day, ?cause WinME can?t last half that time. Typically a WinME box that runs (such as it doesn?t) for more than 2 or 3 hours will just drop dead (such as it does) faster than some tweaked out LAN Boy hopped up on RedBull, pixie stix, and who knows what else. I?ve never seen an OS get wasted like that for *no freaking reason* and require regularly scheduled reboots to get it going again. Don?t forget to beg for mercy if you have a USB mouse. In that case, a simple reboot is, quite simply, just not enough. No, you have to actually cut power to the machine in order to get it working again. That is, IF it comes back after the endless scandisk session you had to cancel.

After you reinstall WinME over itself for the 4th time, do you think something simple like printing will let you escape the clutches of the evil carnival known as WinME? What the hell kinda fun would life with WinME be without the ever so aptly named ?repair installation?..? You see, a repair in WinME funland is defined as the b@st@rd installing over itself in order to hoard and leech more of your harddrive space while it puts on a charming vampire costume to suck, bleed, extract the very life out of your PC by demanding even more resources. WinME can get away with this because you?re too busy trying to restore your eyesight after going blind selecting the same options over and over while holding very still and praying that setup program won?t lockup this time. But wait, there's more! That sigh of relief you haven?t heard come out of you since the good old Nintendo days is just because Microsoft conveniently forgot to inform us that a ?repair? installation only replaces missing files, but doesn?t bother waste time on something so completely frivolous as overwriting f***ing CORRUPTED FILES. It?s like that stupid villain that won?t die in your garden variety Nintendo game. They always come back for one last scare. With WinME, it?s just the start of another cycle of insanity. The good news is that WinME will at least try to be nice about it, usually by sporting some cryptic error message that essentially translates to ?Try again, stupid.?

Active Desktop is a boon too. Nevermind that it worked just fine in the last installation, because now it wants in on the action. Whenever the system gets toasted while it?s going up in flames again, you must click to ?restore? to get your desktop back. WHY!? What the hell does that do aside from cause the system to lockup *again* and require yet another reboot?? Why can?t that be done automatically? Probably because it would make the system so unstable, Microsoft would have to slap a warning label on the box. Oh wait, they already did. The billed WinME as the ?upgrade? to Windows 98. I happen to like Microsoft nowadays, but I can?t easily let go of their trespass into outright fraud. An upgrade!? To WHAT exactly? Just have the audacity to perform an ?upgrade? and see what happens. Anyone who?s ever had the misfortune of having to put up with THAT crap no doubt watches an Apple switch ad with keen interest and a profound longing. Yes, Windows 98 was that bad. WinME is even worse. Think a clean install will save you? Good luck finding that holy grail. I?ll save you a little time and a lot of trouble: there?s no such thing as a clean install of WinME. Still not sure about WinME..? See my short answer. Then run. Run away from :argh:as fast as you can.

Seriously.. can anyone tell I?m convinced WinME is possessed by evil demon clowns? :argh:

...ok, so I exaggerate a little.

But like, who's told the truth since cyber-sex was invented? :s

I remember when winME was released, i rushed into my computer store to buy it. Within 1 week, I had reinstalled it 4 times. I didnt think anything bad about it, I assumed it was to do with my programs/drivers being incompatible. Eventually I ended up paying out for windows 2000 (took me a while to save up for it) and then I realised how bad windows ME was compared with win 2k.

Its not all bad it was the first OS to feature the Roll back tool, but other than that it was windows 98 but with things packed into it like windows media player 7.

Oh yeah that magic tool from ms that lets you undo your mistakes stopped working after september and you had to have a patch to fix it, well done ms another grate idea gone wrong.

Yes it can if you follow my 5 step program!

1. Grab Windows ME Disc

2. Smash Windows ME Disk

3. Visit www.besybuy.com and order Windows XP Disc

4. After received use permanet marker and scribble on Windows ME

5. Install and enjoy.

i would recomend Window Me over 98se if you have the ram. Thats the problem most idiots had, they didn't have the higher ram requirement that Me had over 98 and bitched when they had problems. Also the WMD driver were new under Me so the first generation was not the best. But I never had much problems with Me, thought it was more stable then 98se.

We all know and hate WinME (I think), so this should be an interesting discussion. In my experience, WinME has killed itself within 3 months on many different computers I've seen it installed on. This is interesting because it has all these features to keep it stable.

Back in 2001, I picked up a Compaq Presario 5000. It had a 1.2GHz AMD Athlon processor, 512MB SDRAM, and came preinstalled with Windows Me. Me ran like molasses, crashed often...hell, when using Picture It 2002, I'd even get "Out of Memory" error messages. Compaq sent the XP Upgrade kit in November of 2001...we installed XP and never looked back.

I'd also have to say that WinMe accounts for a majority of the computer problems that I get to work on.

Like Avicus said, though, its stability problems are rather interesting considering all the features Microsoft built into the OS to keep it stable. System Restore, Help and Support Center, System File Protection (taken directly from Windows 2000) just to name a few.

Reminds me of the old utility days, the "lets delete duplicate files" theory...hummm...dumbass software....there is a reason it is in Windows, Windows\System, and Windows\System32. Hence the reason Microsoft built in there nice "we'll fix it" feature in Me, which we've come to know as SFP. Delete a DLL in 98...and you'll have to reinstall the OS. WinMe just says, "Jackass quit"...here it is back...granted that from my experiences, it tends to take itself out a bit later.

Almost like Me is saying that if anybody's gonna crash it, then it's gonna be Me :wacko:

I have configured Me to be highly stable. And I find graphics perform much better on it. I keep Win Me around as a controller program for Booting purposes.

When that one virus came out months ago that affected NT windows, my Me saved me some trouble.

98se lacks the driver data base that Win Me has...btw. I found Win Me to be better and faster even with system restore enabled.

I made a computer to monitor and record a process. It was a FIC 503+ (I think if I remember correctly), an AMD K6-2 500Mhz (I think), maybe 128MB of memory.

It ONLY ran two programs (WindowViewer and Modbus), and the operator wasn't allowed to surf or install anything else on it.

This was late '99.

That computer ran for weeks between reboots. I had them restart it once a month regardless (just because I couldn't fathom (back then) anything lasting longer then that).

Wierd.

So I recently tried to duplicate this sucess, and this new installation with a A7V266-C mobo was terrible. Wouldn't run for more than a few days at a time.

Replaced with XP and no problems at all.

Must be some sort of driver thing?

G

• 2 weeks later...

WinME sucks i had it on my first ever pc a emachine 633dvd it kept having bsod for no reason once after a fresh format and install i had bsod within a few mins of it starting the first time,

the pc WinME ran on was a 633mhz celeron with 13gb hard drive and 128mb ram, this pc now has 512mb ram and a 10gig hard drive as well, and it stable as anything, my bro now has the pc and has no probs with it.

after 3 reinstalls of windows me i put 98se on it was hell of alot better sure they was the bsod once in a while but it ran fine.

also i got a 433mhz celeron with 300 something of ram and a 6gig hard drive and it runs xp pro with sp1 perfectly fine i even put it on my broadband a few days ago and no probs what so ever.

i say and i am sure many peeps will back me up on this, if your running a pc that is 400mhz faster with 256mb ram plus and a 4gig+ hdd put xp on it

Well about 3 years ago I did an install of win ME on (now my ex) girlfriends computer- and it is still up and running with no problems... Amd K-6 500mhz - Ati Expert Video Card- 5gig hard drive... She is quite happy with it...She defragments weekly and scandisks every 3 weeks...She mainly uses it to Yahoo message and to surf the web. No games....128mb memory

Edited by redvamp128

Had Me on a on an old Packard Bell, Cyrix 333mhz MII, 192MB ram, and ran flawlessly. Also had ME on a HP 800Mhz Celeron, 192MB ram, that ran just as well. I'm not a gamer though. Have had 98SE on one system, REAL old IBM clone, 486DX, 48MB ram, that still runs excellent also. First 2 systems I mentioned above had been upgraded to XP Pro and both STILL run flawlessly. Personally, I'd go with 98SE as it is known as a gamers OS.

WinME, Can it be good?

No. A million times, no.

When ME first came out and everybody had to get it (Including me), it was a nightmare. I worked at a tech shop and it took us near insanity.

Windows ME can be good, ofcourse. I haven't had any problems with it at all, in fact, after Windows XP, I prefer Windows ME in the Windows product range. I know most people in this thread will be like "WTF mate?" because I've said the same thing about Windows ME in the past, and has been flammed at :blink: idiots... lol

win me.. hmm i dont think its any good, just an excuse to make money for microsoft (again...) but the product was ok.. i mean it was better just to wait for xp.. imo..

I used Windows ME for a long time. Not bad, but tends to clutter up too fast. In about a month it will run like crap and starts to produce random lockups and stuff like that.

Moved to Windows XP and never looked back.

Still I think it was the best out of the 9X range. Better then 95 and, for me, also better then 98(SE), which I could never even get it to run without crashing in the first place.

i repeat....no. no it cant.

and the reasons why are simple.

it was an unnecessary release, it was something that was rushed and had no reason for existance other than to have the name millenium edition.

The first PC I bought came with ME, lasted about 2 weeks then it had Windows 2000 on it!

I found 98SE the most stable out of the lot before 2000, I could actually get a resonable system... eventually!

It's down to personal choice. I wouldn't liked to be faced with a slow machine and wanting to run XP. I run XP on a very fast machine with all the visual crap turned off and it flies :)