They are sabotaging the pc to force people to use smartphone?


Recommended Posts

FloatingFatMan
Just now, Mirumir said:

Problem is he came here to ask a question, instead he got provoked and trolled for his poor English skills. So mature of all of you!

Poor English skills are one thing, but his post really was unintelligible.  If you can't manage in English, then it's rather silly to go to an English discussion forum, no?  You don't see me in Russian forums, after all...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mirumir
4 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Poor English skills are one thing, but his post really was unintelligible.  If you can't manage in English, then it's rather silly to go to an English discussion forum, no?  You don't see me in Russian forums, after all...

 

I guess some people put too much faith into Google Translate, or any other software translator, thinking they're capable of doing a decent job. They aren't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
kifirefox

people at the beginning use more msn software, but then the PC has evolved, and then came the smartphone.
people are preferring to buy smartphone than PC.
people prefer to learn to move with more smartphone than PC.


people prefer to learn to work with the smarthphone than learned tinkering with a new operating system, Linux.
really nobody wants pc, no one wants to learn how to work with PC. They are all the easier smartphone. since only they use to stay chat, email, social networking, these simple things.


look, people that never liked pc are switching to smarthone. and rarely using the old PC.
people who like to pc, buy new pc, and use less smartphone or use an old phone.
It is all standard issue of consumption, personal taste, etc.


the problem is when they begin to create more good software for smartphone and PC software still obsolete without innovation, no better use of hardware resources, multi core processor, etc.

 

 

 

8 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I guess some people put too much faith into Google Translate, or any other software translator, thinking they're capable of doing a decent job. They aren't.

 

then this is exactly what I'm talking about!
the PCS software is poorly made. I want to see and you will see also, will create a smartphone translation software that will be better than any pc translator and pc translators will become obsolete.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
5 hours ago, kifirefox said:

Yes please. then tell me. explain

Nothing you said is remotely accurate. There is nothing else to explain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
LimeMaster
2 hours ago, kifirefox said:

then this is exactly what I'm talking about!

the PCS software is poorly made. I want to see and you will see also, will create a smartphone translation software that will be better than any pc translator and pc translators will become obsolete.

 

 

Google translator isn't a desktop software, it is web based.

 

Plus, most desktop software has matured in such a way that only minor changes are needed. Smartphone/tablet apps & UWA are still in the early stages of progressing. They aren't nearly as feature complete as most desktop software, which is why developers are focusing on them more.

 

Just because they have changed their focus doesn't mean that they are sabotaging PCs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MorganX
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

A pretty UI does not mean it's a better made program, it's means it's a program written for complete software novices to use.

 

And you think a voice assistant is the bees knees? Voice assistants have been around on the PC for years. I had one 20 years ago ffs! Sure it wasn't very good, but technology has moved on and improved.  Also, I know of -nobody- who uses the things, because seriously, outside of commercials, no one wants to look like a bloody idiot talking to their phone.  Also, their accuracy seriously sucks still.

That's the largest buying market, now, and in the foreseeable future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
2 minutes ago, MorganX said:

That's the largest buying market, now, and in the foreseeable future.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's a conspiracy to kill the desktop, as the OP is asserting.  That's just complete and utter nonsense.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
MorganX
1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's a conspiracy to kill the desktop, as the OP is asserting.  That's just complete and utter nonsense.

 

I took it his use of the word conspiracy was an English contextual translation issue. I didn't take it literally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Active.
3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

A pretty UI does not mean it's a better made program, it's means it's a program written for complete software novices to use. 

Wait, what? I think you got it backwards. It's true that apps targeting advanced users are often ugly or hard to use. But it doesn't follow that pretty apps are only for novices.  A well-designed UI benefits everyone. So does beauty. In fact, good design is probably even more important for complex and powerful applications targeting advanced users than it is for trivial little apps. Unfortunately developers can often get away with badly-designed UIs if they make it seem like that was a necessary consequence of the power of that app.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
DeusProto

They will never force me to use a "smart" phone or even a tablet.

 

I will always do the vast majority of my computer related work and leisure on a proper PC -- laptop at bare minimum -- with a PHYSICAL keyboard and a pointing device.

 

If they ever fully get rid of keyboards, desktop PCs, and laptops then I will just keep rebuying old PCs when the current breaks and using Linux or something else that can be adapted to run on old hardware but still stay current in terms of security patches. 

 

Ever since I began using mechanical keyboards, all other input devices for inputting text including garbage on screen keyboards feel like utter trash to me. 

 

I certainly will never settle for an on screen keyboard.

 

I use my phone to make calls and rarely send an SMS. 

 

Also: I use computer programs, not "apps." I never liked that word when whomever coined it for marketing reasons made it become common in the lexicon. 

 

Thankfully I don't think the PC is going anywhere. There are still AAA level games released for it; it is still the go to form factor for compiling source code, 3D CAD, graphics design, console emulation, video and audio encoding, video and audio editing, etc. I don't see a tiny 3" touchscreen rectangle replacing any of those purposes anytime soon. Not to mention it is still where REAL games (not casual crap) is released for. Don't expect Fallout 5 or 6 to be a "smart" phone exclusive. Or Half-Life 3 when it comes out in 15 years (I know I'm being overly optimistic here.. more like 20). 

 

Hell, even Microsoft with its "mobile first" crap still releases a Win32 version of Visual Studio. 

Edited by DeusProto
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Active.
3 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

 I use computer programs, not "apps."

iu.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon
3 hours ago, Mirumir said:

I guess some people put too much faith into Google Translate, or any other software translator, thinking they're capable of doing a decent job. They aren't.

I don't think he's using google translator, I think Google would do a better job than that.

 

Or I should say

 

I imagine translating from chocolate chips in google could do a alarm clock from field text on keys. :D

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
15 minutes ago, Active. said:

Wait, what? I think you got it backwards. It's true that apps targeting advanced users are often ugly or hard to use. But it doesn't follow that pretty apps are only for novices.  A well-designed UI benefits everyone. So does beauty. In fact, good design is probably even more important for complex and powerful applications targeting advanced users than it is for trivial little apps. Unfortunately developers can often get away with badly-designed UIs if they make it seem like that was a necessary consequence of the power of that app.

Nope, you're wrong.  Sure a well designed program benefits everyone that uses it, but the current paradigm of dumbing programs down, filling them with bling and generally making them as simple as possible to use started with the rise of the smartphone and the arrival of the novice user.  Simplified interfaces are driven by the two of users inexperienced with complex applications, and devices with limited input and display capability.  They even dumbed the name of applications down to "Apps", because "Applications" is like, too hard for the mouth breathers to remember or something... :rolleyes: 

 

Hence why that same paradigm still hasn't translated too well to the desktop (modern apps, universal apps etc), and likely isn't going to for a long time yet, if ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix
12 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

They will never force me to use a "smart" phone or even a tablet.

 

I will always do the vast majority of my computer related work and leisure on a proper PC -- laptop at bare minimum -- with a PHYSICAL keyboard and a pointing device.

 

If they ever fully get rid of keyboards, desktop PCs, and laptops then I will just keep rebuying old PCs when the current breaks and using Linux or something else that can be adapted to run on old hardware but still stay current in terms of security patches. 

 

Ever since I began using mechanical keyboards, all other input devices for inputting text including garbage on screen keyboards feel like utter trash to me. 

 

I certainly will never settle for an on screen keyboard.

 

I use my phone to make calls and rarely send an SMS. 

 

Also: I use computer programs, not "apps." I never liked that word when whomever coined it for marketing reasons made it become common in the lexicon. 

Why would physical keyboards go away? That does not make sense. The mouse however, has been superseded by better input methods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DeusProto
12 hours ago, MeowPurr said:

overall dumbing down of society by mainstream media.

Bingo! A trend that is infecting software in general and many other things sadly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
1 minute ago, Dot Matrix said:

The mouse however, has been superseded by better input methods.

I have yet to find any input method for the desktop to be an improvement on the mouse.  Touchpads are dreadful to use, touch screens cause severe back, shoulder and arm ache over long use,  and trackballs died years ago.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
DeusProto
4 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why would physical keyboards go away? That does not make sense. The mouse however, has been superseded by better input methods.

Because, sadly, developers and engineers in general seem to be deprecation happy about things that are underused by the masses. Because of the prevalence of touchscreens and the majority of people being content for crappy on screen keyboards, manufacturers will gradually see less and less of a need to manufacture keyboards and instead pander to the flock.

 

Time and time again, the minority gets shafted in terms of software and hardware in favor of the majority. Features are deprecated left and right, innovation slows down in the area of hardware, and so forth. 

 

And nothing comes even close to a mouse for gaming -- especially FPS. Playing a proper (non casual) FPS game like Fallout 4 with a game controller is a watered down and horrid experience. You can't get anywhere near the level of precision in terms of aiming as you can with a high DPI laser mouse. And for things like graphics editing.  Pen input may be valuable in some areas, and preferred to a mouse for some areas of graphics editing, but certainly it is not overall a replacement for a mouse. And touchscreens are a joke for professional graphics editing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Active.
9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Nope, you're wrong.  Sure a well designed program benefits everyone that uses it [...]

That's all I was saying. Now, unless well-designed apps can't be pretty as well, a pretty UI doesn't mean that "it's a program written for complete software novices", even though there may be such apps around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix
22 minutes ago, DeusProto said:

Also: I use computer programs, not "apps." I never liked that word when whomever coined it for marketing reasons made it become common in the lexicon. 

Computer programs is such a dated term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stoffel
11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Nope, you're wrong.  Sure a well designed program benefits everyone that uses it, but the current paradigm of dumbing programs down, filling them with bling and generally making them as simple as possible to use started with the rise of the smartphone and the arrival of the novice user.  Simplified interfaces are driven by the two of users inexperienced with complex applications, and devices with limited input and display capability.  They even dumbed the name of applications down to "Apps", because "Applications" is like, too hard for the mouth breathers to remember or something... :rolleyes: 

 

Hence why that same paradigm still hasn't translated too well to the desktop (modern apps, universal apps etc), and likely isn't going to for a long time yet, if ever.

What's your problem with mouth breathers?

You try scuba diving without breathing through your mouth ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K
58 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why would physical keyboards go away? That does not make sense. The mouse however, has been superseded by better input methods.

LOL.  What?  What input method has superseded the mouse?

48 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Computer programs is such a dated term.

Applications has been around just as long ... they are often used interchangeably...though "programs" or "software" have was used more often ... until Apple started making Apps "cool" again.

 

Guess "Applications" is a dated term as well.  See ad below.

 

 

Untitled-1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mirumir
1 hour ago, DeusProto said:

They will never force me to use a "smart" phone or even a tablet.

No one is after you. You're free to decide w/e you want to use.

 

1 hour ago, DeusProto said:

Also: I use computer programs, not "apps." I never liked that word when whomever coined it for marketing reasons made it become common in the lexicon. 

Ok. To be fair, it started with web apps, before mobile apps appeared. Even widgets were first made for desktops.

 

Quote

In information technology, an application is a computer program designed to help people perform an activity. An application thus differs from an operating system (which runs a computer), a utility (which performs maintenance or general-purpose chores), and a programming tool (with which computer programs are created)[original research?]. Depending on the activity for which it was designed, an application can manipulate text, numbers, graphics, or a combination of these elements. Some application packages focus on a single task, such as word processing; others, called integrated software include several applications.

imho, software is just a broader term and it means any computer code.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DrainTheSw4mp
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They even dumbed the name of applications down to "Apps", because "Applications" is like, too hard for the mouth breathers to remember or something... :rolleyes: 

God, I couldn't agree more. The 'Apps' name drives me nuts. I actually use it to make a distinction between real software and dumbed down programs that are mostly a wrapped front end for a webpage.

For example, these are real examples of software applications pinned to my taskbar: Visual Studio, Notepad++, Beyond Compare, Photoshop, Expression Design, Inkscape, HxD, SharpDevelop, VMware Workstation, Adobe InDesign. And of course this list includes many PC games and many other software programs that I don't use as often.

And these are examples of dumbed down 'Apps': Edge Browser, OneNote, Cortana, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Weather, Wunderlist.

 

I'd love to see the look on Microsoft employees' faces when they see telemetry data and they find out that basically no one is even clicking on these apps to open them, even when they are basically shoving them down our throats every second. :laugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
3 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

Google translator isn't a desktop software, it is web based.

 

Plus, most desktop software has matured in such a way that only minor changes are needed. Smartphone/tablet apps & UWA are still in the early stages of progressing. They aren't nearly as feature complete as most desktop software, which is why developers are focusing on them more.

 

Just because they have changed their focus doesn't mean that they are sabotaging PCs.

And as someone that has both notebooks and a tablet (and the tablet  (with it's slipcase) can fit in the case of either notebook - with the notebook still in it), it certainly is not portability.

I prefer notebooks to tablets due to screen size - and that is tablet vs. my development notebook - the one with Hyper-V and the smallest screen of the two.  However, all too often, there is nowhere to plug in a power brick when anywhere where free wifi is available (such as Starbucks or any of their competition - or even public libraries).  Hence the problem being access to power - not connectivity.  THAT is why folks go with tablets and smartphones - power/battery life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
11 minutes ago, MeowPurr said:

God, I couldn't agree more. The 'Apps' name drives me nuts. I actually use it to make a distinction between real software and dumbed down programs that are mostly a wrapped front end for a webpage.

For example, these are real examples of software applications pinned to my taskbar: Visual Studio, Notepad++, Beyond Compare, Photoshop, Expression Design, Inkscape, HxD, SharpDevelop, VMware Workstation, Adobe InDesign. And of course this list includes many PC games and many other software programs that I don't use as often.

And these are examples of dumbed down 'Apps': Edge Browser, OneNote, Cortana, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Weather, Wunderlist.

 

I'd love to see the look on Microsoft employees' faces when they see telemetry data and they find out that basically no one is even clicking on these apps to open them, even when they are basically shoving them down our throats every second. :laugh:

It's NOT that they aren't useful - and you are stating a bald preference for traditional applications and then going further and stating that the planet as a whole shares your preference.

 

Visual Studio (Community) can run on an x64 tablet - HP Stream 7, anyone?  That same Stream 7 can run Image-Line's FL Studio 12 - plug-ins and all.  Notepad++ is a Notepad alternative - it's not only NOT bigger than traditional Notepad, it's "smaller" and has more features; Notepad++'s target audience is coders and developers.  vmWare Workstation was replaced by Hyper-V on my development notebook (I have Workstation Player on my desktop for a niche use - OS X VMs).  Cortana?  On all my Windows PCs (desktop and both notebooks).  Weather replaced AWS WeatherBug (which was resident in the TaskTray in 7 and earlier); it's also far less crash-prone.  In addition to OneNote being standalone, it's also included with Office - I can use it, but largely don't (the same is true of PowerPoint).  I don't use Edge due to too many issues with websites being deliberately hostile to Edge (or IE, for that matter) - I run Waterfox instead.

 

You have more "niche" applications than I do - most of them are NOT for average users; Photoshop certainly isn't.  (Photoshop Elements - which is a subset of Photoshop, and IS aimed at average users - can run on the Stream 7.)  I've already pointed to VS Community and FL Studio - neither is hostile to Atom-based x64 tablets, such as the Stream 7, and both are, in fact, solidly-traditional applications aimed at non-average users.

 

Neither of us are traditional users - not by a long shot.  The difference is you are trying to claim that you are - I make no pretense of such a claim.  Personal preference is personal preference - and that is ALL it is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.