They are sabotaging the pc to force people to use smartphone?


Recommended Posts

PGHammer

Gary7 - mobile devices include anything that normally moves; it also includes notebooks and laptops, in addition to tablets and slates.  Just in terms of merely notebooks, how much commonality is there - in software terms - with desktops?  In terms of tablets and slates, how many are shipping with not necessarily Windows 10 Mobile, but the full Windows 10 itself?  Where the crossover in the portable space is in general - and the Windows portable space in particular - is more what is more important; performance or battery life?  If battery life is more important, you go with a tablet or slate driven by something like N3700; if performance is more important, you go with Core i-series, AMD Fusion/FX Mobile, etc.  Either way, Windows 10 has you covered.  Smaller-screened portable devices (regardless of OS) are quite capable of being used for quick changes; this is something I use Microsoft Word (for Android) for every danged day.  I use Skype more on my devices that have webcams (the notebooks and my tablet) - my desktop currently LACKS a webcam.  For original composition, I use Office on my desktop - that is, after all, what it's for (the desktop, that is).  I'm not always at my desktop PC, however.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
21 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Indeed they are, this is one reason I went back to 10586 as MS is more concerned about mobile devices than PC's

Riiight. Because the Insider builds are so much more mobile-esque....

Link to post
Share on other sites
KingCracker

There will (hopefully) always be a need for PC's. How else are you going to edit photos  professionally, how else are you going to edit video professionally.. Unless something happens where the market for  DSLR's disappears then there will be a need for PC's not to mention all those expensive video camera's  people use to film with.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K

Another little rant about Continuum.  Has anyone actually used this feature?  See ... this is what I'm picturing ... and mind you my only "board room experience" has been in the AF.  In our conference room we either had a large TV or a projector.  This system was hooked up to a PC which was on the LAN.  So, if I had to give a presentation (PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheet, etc.) ... I would login and all my stuff would be there to show.

 

Now, with Continuum ... you'd either need Miracast (how is the lag on that BTW?) or that little dock thing... plus a keyboard/mouse to do the same thing.  Also, whatever is on your phone is what you'll be presenting ... so if the CC ask ... "ok show me x,y,z) ... and you don't have it on the phone ... you're hosed.  Another thing about being productive using Continuum (talking in regards to smartphones) ... you're having to haul around the dock, the mouse, the keyboard and maybe a display...and cables (unless everything is bluetooth/Miracast).  Anyway ... just seems (without actually ever doing it) a lot of work.  Might as well just get a Surface (which isn't a "smartphone" which this thread is about).

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Riiight. Because the Insider builds are so much more mobile-esque....

adrynalyne - I think he's thinking that he is contributing to the very complaint he has by using Redstone builds.

 

Different Insiders have different motivations as to why they test.  While for some Insiders it may well BE Windows 10 Mobile, for me, it actually IS notebooks and the successors thereto, and that is entirely because they are something that my desktop is not - mobile.  One focus for me as far as my testing of Redstone is life-extension for notebooks that normally run Vista - and primarily due to what I discovered running the original Windows 10 on Big Pavilion; the older of my two notebooks.

Also, way back here in the cheap seats, I at least am seeing ex-enterprise portables showing up - which mostly ran XP and Vista.  They are still capable - except for the operating system on them.  The question I am basically trying to answer is - what IS the absolute floor for Windows 10 (full - not Mobile) on notebooks or laptops?  I'm finding out that I haven't reached it yet; the last notebook I threw 10 on has a mere 1 GB of system RAM and a 300GB HDD.  It was running Vista when I replaced the OS with 10, and it originally shipped with XP.  A lot of these enterprise notebooks have fingerprint readers built-in; Windows 10 leverages them mostly directly (via Windows Hello) - that's a capability my desktop lacks.  However, that usable-out-of-the-box security would be VERY useful where the majority of these ex-enterprise notebooks will be used - education; from college down to elementary school.  From enterprise notebook to school-book - in this case, quite literally.  It's not like Windows 10 is unsuitable for school use; the problem there is the cost of hardware.  However, what if the students themselves could repurpose donated notebooks?  IT courses at the junior-high and high-school level already teach this - why not create incentive for businesses to donate their culls to local school districts; students get hands-on experience AND get credit toward graduation, and, depending on school district policy, could get themselves a usable notebook that they know inside and out from having worked on it from soup to nuts.  In other words, an alternative to iOS, Android, AND Chrome, and just as cheap from a price standpoint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
12 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Another little rant about Continuum.  Has anyone actually used this feature?  See ... this is what I'm picturing ... and mind you my only "board room experience" has been in the AF.  In our conference room we either had a large TV or a projector.  This system was hooked up to a PC which was on the LAN.  So, if I had to give a presentation (PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheet, etc.) ... I would login and all my stuff would be there to show.

 

Now, with Continuum ... you'd either need Miracast (how is the lag on that BTW?) or that little dock thing... plus a keyboard/mouse to do the same thing.  Also, whatever is on your phone is what you'll be presenting ... so if the CC ask ... "ok show me x,y,z) ... and you don't have it on the phone ... you're hosed.  Another thing about being productive using Continuum (talking in regards to smartphones) ... you're having to haul around the dock, the mouse, the keyboard and maybe a display...and cables (unless everything is bluetooth/Miracast).  Anyway ... just seems (without actually ever doing it) a lot of work.  Might as well just get a Surface (which isn't a "smartphone" which this thread is about).

We played with it here. The performance makes it most unenjoyable for lack of better made-up words.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
10 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Another little rant about Continuum.  Has anyone actually used this feature?  See ... this is what I'm picturing ... and mind you my only "board room experience" has been in the AF.  In our conference room we either had a large TV or a projector.  This system was hooked up to a PC which was on the LAN.  So, if I had to give a presentation (PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheet, etc.) ... I would login and all my stuff would be there to show.

 

Now, with Continuum ... you'd either need Miracast (how is the lag on that BTW?) or that little dock thing... plus a keyboard/mouse to do the same thing.  Also, whatever is on your phone is what you'll be presenting ... so if the CC ask ... "ok show me x,y,z) ... and you don't have it on the phone ... you're hosed.  Another thing about being productive using Continuum (talking in regards to smartphones) ... you're having to haul around the dock, the mouse, the keyboard and maybe a display...and cables (unless everything is bluetooth/Miracast).  Anyway ... just seems (without actually ever doing it) a lot of work.  Might as well just get a Surface (which isn't a "smartphone" which this thread is about).

jjk - I use it on Baby Pavilion; my newest notebook - and I have no issues with it.  Part of the issue with Continuum is that some ODMs/OEMs DO skimp on device/notebook features; that is why paying attention to device capabilities is critical before signing at the spot marked X - and especially when you're talking about a purchase contract for quantities upward of one hundred.  (Not unique to the military; it's a problem in business, too.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

We played with it here. The performance makes it most unenjoyable for lack of better made-up words.

 

 

Skimpage can be a turn-off - I'm not about to dispute that.  It's the sort of thing that can get OEMS/ODMs in hot water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+Fahim S.
5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

jjk - I use it on Baby Pavilion; my newest notebook - and I have no issues with it.  Part of the issue with Continuum is that some ODMs/OEMs DO skimp on device/notebook features; that is why paying attention to device capabilities is critical before signing at the spot marked X - and especially when you're talking about a purchase contract for quantities upward of one hundred.  (Not unique to the military; it's a problem in business, too.)

How do you use Continuum with a laptop? It's a Windows 10 Mobile feature and not even available in the desktop version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer
4 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

How do you use Continuum with a laptop? It's a Windows 10 Mobile feature and not even available in the desktop version.

Actually, it is available in the "desktop" version (at least it was in Threshold); however, it does require Miracast support (which is mostly in portable hardware; however, that does include notebooks - jjkusaf mentioned Surface, for example).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
4 hours ago, warwagon said:

I've said this many, too many to count, but everytime I try to be productive on a phone or tablet I wanted to throw it across the room. There is a reason I have a 3 monitor setup from a Brix PC next to my couch, But remote assistance is a large part of my business so need the extra screens. Though i'd still have them even if I didn't do that. Not a moment goes by that (except this moment) were all  3 screens don't have something on them. I cleared 2 of the 3 screens for this screenshot to hide personal info.

 

26932735324_f788ecb171_z.jpg

 

to be fair, I think it probably works pretty good. But it requires a windows phone which nobody will buy.

What is your business Warwagon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon
54 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

What is your business Warwagon?

Computer repair. Been doing it since 2002

Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisj1968
31 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Computer repair. Been doing it since 2002

I'd guess you see VR taking over the PC experience?

Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon
32 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'd guess you see VR taking over the PC experience?

Huh? I haven't seen it. I have a google cardboard ..3 different headsets in fact, but i'm the only one I know who personally uses it. That includes any other VR. I don't see it taking  over the PC experience. AR maybe but not VR... VR is great just for games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan
14 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'd guess you see VR taking over the PC experience?

...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAHAHAHA!!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
mudslag
45 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'd guess you see VR taking over the PC experience?

 

Ah no, while VR is cool and will find a place in the tech world, it will never take over the PC experience. If no other reason then the simple fact that VR gear is cumbersome to use and for many it's difficult on the eyes over a long period of time. 

 

 

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/18/were-not-talking-about-what-vr-is-doing-to-our-eyes-and-our-brains/

 

http://essilorusa.com/content/essilor-usa/en/newsroom/news/virtual_reality_bad.html

Edited by mudslag
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.