.net application error (i have no programming skills)

Question

in brief; (i've already contacted the author who said they didn't want to update an old project)

i'm trying to get an old mod loader app for red faction guerrilla, built for .net 3.5 as far as i can tell, although cff explorer says "v2.0.50727" to work with red faction armageddon.

so far i've hex edited the programs title and to launch the game from the app, i just created a copy of the armageddon launcher and renamed it to rfg.exe so the app recognised the games launcher.

the folder / file structure is the same for both games, but you need a newer gibbed tools version for armgeddon and this where i'm stumped.

the app comes with one dll "Gibbed.Volition.dll" net v2.0.50727,

but the one needed is v4.0.30319, this is where the below error occurs;

etxsK4G.jpg

is there someone with the know how who can edit the program (i don't have the source) ?

i already decompiled it with jetbeans and then opened it in vs2010, changed the net version of the app to match the gibbed dll but it wouldn't build...threw up a massive list of errors, and that's when it went over my head..not sure what to do or if it can be made compatible.

if i change the version string in cff explorer, i get this;

ZyUb4or.jpg

at the moment i'm just modding the game manually but it would be nice if i could use the mod manager.

Edited by Slarlac249
  • Like 1

2 answers to this question

Recent versions of Windows dropped support for earlier .NET runtimes to save some disk space.

You can try installing version 3 which is a common task that many people do on a new install so it's easy to find the download.

In rare odd cases it can help to install earlier versions as well so I usually go with 1, 2, 3 and then the latest. Without more information, it looks like running your application with 3.5 should work. All the versions install "side by side" until version 4 which does an in-place upgrade on each increment of 4.

If you install the "developer pack" add-on it gives you some degree of version targetting ability and was designed for just this kind of version hell that large organizations run into every day.

All the different versions end up at: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework"

Sounds like the mod manager is a .NET 2 or 3.5 application, but you're trying to have it load a .NET 4 dll. Won't work. Maybe you can recompile the mod manager as a .NET 4 application if you have access to source code.

Relevant: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10607095/this-assembly-is-built-by-a-runtime-newer-than-the-currently-loaded-runtime-and