MacWorld 2004 Keynote

Did you enjoy watching Macworld?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kinghdog    0

I don't think the $249 price is stupid at all. I'm not sure I'd buy one for myself, but that's only because I need the extra storage. Apple is going for the HIGH END flash market, devices like:

Creative MuVo2 4GB: MSRP $299

Creative Rhomba 256mb: MSRP $199

Rio Nitrus 1.5GB: MSRP $219

Rio Chiba 256mb: MSRP $169

People in the market for these types of players do so using a number of factors, wich can include:

-Price

-Form Factor

-Storage Space

I would say a good deal of people going out to buy a flash memory MP3 player are looking for something small that they can tool around while walking/working out, and aren't really in the market for a large hard drive based player. With this new iPod mini, they can walk around campus, go the gym, go for a run, etc., and have a small, lightweight player which actually holds a lot of music on it. And the UI completely blows away all other MP3 players.

Sure the $249 isn't as low as we'd like. But if it was too terribly lower it would probably cannibalize low-end iPod sales. And with 750,000 units sold last quarter, that is a LOT of money coming in to Apple's coffers.

coolchan    0

I actually have my eyes on the new pair of in-ear headphones. The price in US is $39, but here (apple.dk) it's more like $59 with the current exchange rate. I have a pair of in-ear headphones from sony though they are pretty sweet.

I'll wait for a review, before I order one.

coolchan    0
Actually, really tiny hard drives like those in an iPod would be FAR more resistant to shock than a larger hard drive. The smaller you get, the less rotational forces are involved.

Well, if that happens the Neistat brothers can make a new video! :devil:

tronmaster    0

Well, we are comparing the iPod to the iPod mini.

Should we compare the iPod mini to other brands:

Rio Nitrus

4 GB

Less than 2 ounces

Smaller than a deck of cards

Over 2000 WMA songs

16-hour battery

5 Band Equalizer

and USB 2.0

for $249.00

Creative Nomad Muvo2

4GB

Cant find the weight...

2.6 inches by 2.6 inches

2100 WMA songs

14-hour battery

USB 2.0 support

for $299.99

and finally Apple iPod mini

4GB

3.6 ounces

3.6 x 2.0 x .5 inches

1000 songs

8-hour battery

USB 2.0 and Firewire support

for $249.00

So which of these is the better deal?

Southern Patriot    974

edit: majorly misread someone's post, sorry.

KeR    84

well if I had the choice even now of getting the regular iPOD or iPOD mini I would have still bought the regular. The 10Gig one is just $50bucks more.

thetman    0

ugly. but maybe itll help the other ones sell. esp with the low end being 15

frod    0
Rio Nitrus

4 GB

Less than 2 ounces

Smaller than a deck of cards

Over 2000 WMA songs

16-hour battery

5 Band Equalizer

and USB 2.0

for $249.00

Creative Nomad Muvo2

4GB

Cant find the weight...

2.6 inches by 2.6 inches

2100 WMA songs

14-hour battery

USB 2.0 support

for $299.99

and finally Apple iPod mini

4GB

3.6 ounces

3.6 x 2.0 x .5 inches

1000 songs

8-hour battery

USB 2.0 and Firewire support

for $249.00

you sure that's right? all i found was this:

Rio Nitrus:

Storage: 1.5 GB

Dimensions: 3? X 2.4? X 0.6?

Weight: 2.0oz

Battery: 16-hour

$219.99

the nomad muvo2 is a little under 3.6 ounces and is 2.6" x 2.6" x 0.79" and actually costs around $340 (this is converting the price from the creative online store for singapore).

so in terms of volume, i think the ipod mini is the smallest one of the three. the rio is the lightest and has the longest potential battery life, but it is also the most expensive in terms of space->cost.

so in reality i think the ipod would be one of the better buys of the three. you get 2.5gb more space and an aluminum chassis for only $30 more than the nitrus and ~$100 less than the muvo2.

b mitchell    0

Either way you look at it, the 250 price tag didn't get that great of a reception, and it probably wont on the market either. If Apple really wants to take a bite out of the mp3 flash player market, they need to cut that price by hopefully 100 bucks.

malebolgia    0

I might just be me, but the mini iPod looks really slick. Slicker than its big brother. :happy:

So much for the 30 inch Cinema Display.

session    0

I didn't know they introduce a new 30 inch display

KeR    84

wtf she has an iPOD on but its from 1984..they must have added it on.

post-60-1073425296.jpg

Bling3k12    1

They didn't... it was one of those "hope for" things...

Bling3k12    1
wtf she has an iPOD on but its from 1984..they must have added it on.

They added it... I think it looks cheesy, but... whatever :)

Timan    561

is that the same girl? she looks more modern

Bling3k12    1

Same girl, same ad, same everything... except for the iPod. If anything they cleaned it up, but the Apple logo at the end looks really rough... it's not even that curvy in some spots... I guess the bad quality of TV back then made up for it :p

malebolgia    0

I can't wait till the next release of the original iPod's. Hopefully by that time they will look as cool as the mini's and maybe have a user swappable battery back (long shot I know)?

Tim Dorr    0

Actually, there's likely to be a video iPod in the future. Apple posted a job listing looking for someone with video experience on portable devices for the "next generation iPod". So, it should be interesting with what's coming :)

BroChaos    1

damn, video would be tight. add in few more features, don't mess up what they already have, and maybe offer color choices for the big ones, and i'm sold. :)

Redestium    1
Actually, there's likely to be a video iPod in the future. Apple posted a job listing looking for someone with video experience on portable devices for the "next generation iPod". So, it should be interesting with what's coming :)

I'd love to see the battery life on those...ouch.