Pinned tabs in Edge, what's the point?

I love pinned tabs in Safari on my Mac. Very quick way to get to my common sites like Youtube, Neowin, etc. I was excited when I heard that Edge in the insider previews was getting this. However, the way they have implemented it seems to make no sense. I went to Neowin's main page for a test and pinned it. Then I opened a new tab and did some browsing and closed Edge. I reopened Edge and clicked on my tab and got to Neowin. I continued browsing in that same tab and closed. When I reopened, the tab changed to the last site I was at. Shouldn't the whole point of the pinned tab to be to always got to the original site that you pinned, Neowin in this case?

If i pin youtube (for example) in Chrome, and close the browser, then reopen it, it has a pinned tab with YouTube in it.
However, if i pin that YouTube tab, and then browse to Neowin in it and close the browser, next time i open the browser it will load Neowin in it.

As far as i'm aware it's by design so you can carry on where you left off. You'd be better off bookmarking i'd imagine.

3 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

If i pin youtube (for example) in Chrome, and close the browser, then reopen it, it has a pinned tab with YouTube in it.
However, if i pin that YouTube tab, and then browse to Neowin in it and close the browser, next time i open the browser it will load Neowin in it.

As far as i'm aware it's by design so you can carry on where you left off. You'd be better off bookmarking i'd imagine.

It's also a default in browsers that support tabbed browsing - if a browser supports tabs, it supports pinning.  (If anything, if Edge DIDN'T support pinning, I'd expect a lot more screaming.)

Mobile browsers (including Chrome and Firefox for Android) also support pinning - so it's not even desktop-browser-unique.

So it's really not pinning then. If I pin Youtube, I expect  that pinned tab to go to www.youtube.com whenever I click on it, regardless of where I left off otherwise the feature useless. That's why I love the feature in Safari on OS X. I have a few small tabs with icons for Neowin, Macrumors, Youtube, etc and each one goes to the web address that I pinned regardless if I navigated within that tab at any point.