New PS4 (PS4.5/PS4k)?

29 minutes ago, hdca18 said:

I don't believe we will see it as soon as people think though. Again, until Sony announces this it is still rumour.

I think what's happened is people are combining two real things into a single rumored one.

1) There is a PS4 "slim" in development that will likely be announced at E3 this year and include the ability to play back Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs and 4k@60fps streaming video.  It will have a 14 or 16nm revision of the APU BUT will still be Jaguar based and clocked the same so game performance will be identical to existing PS4s.

2) There is a PS5 in development that will be based off of an AMD APU with higher clocked Zen? based CPU, Polaris based GPU, HBM2 memory that will be backwards compatible with the PS4 but won't be out until late 2018 by the earliest.  Developers are likely already testing early builds of this though and rumors are combining it with the system described above.

To me that seems like the most reasonable explanation for what is going on.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I think what's happened is people are combining two real things into a single rumored one.

1) There is a PS4 "slim" in development that will likely be announced at E3 this year and include the ability to play back Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs and 4k@60fps streaming video.  It will have a 14 or 16nm revision of the APU BUT will still be Jaguar based and clocked the same so game performance will be identical to existing PS4s.

2) There is a PS5 in development that will be based off of an AMD APU with higher clocked Zen? based CPU, Polaris based GPU, HBM2 memory that will be backwards compatible with the PS4 but won't be out until late 2018 by the earliest.  Developers are likely already testing early builds of this though and rumors are combining it with the system described above.

To me that seems like the most reasonable explanation for what is going on.

Seems like the most reasonable move for Sony, but it's Sony. When they start doing really well they then like to go and make bonkers decisions (PS2 -> PS3). Although I'm glad they went with BD, but CELL was just... smh.

On 4/5/2016 at 9:10 PM, dipsylalapo said:

Right I see. That's fair enough. Let's play the waiting game.

0bb76e7e64886943032731baf901b80343e7700b

On 4/6/2016 at 10:51 AM, hdca18 said:

I don't believe we will see it as soon as people think though. Again, until Sony announces this it is still rumour.

I'm not sure we'll see it this year (price point) but I'd honestly be shocked if they waited until next holiday season

https://www.vg247.com/2016/03/28/ps4k-announcement-before-playstation-vr-launch-october/