Gears of War 4 coming October 11th.

Andrew
33 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

No doubt, I don't think you've been impressed with one Microsoft exclusive since launch. 

I'm not sure why people expected massive changes over the last gears? How longs it been between drinks for a new Gears game now? We just want some of the old don't we? 

I don't think I have either. They've been too reliant on sequels and HD remasters :( But that's besides the point.

I don't expect "massive" changes, but I certainly don't expect them to go backwards either (N)

George P

I don't see where they've went backwards exactly?    Gears has always and will always be a cover based 3rd person shooter, the core of the game isn't going to change, it stops being gears if it does.  They've added on top of that, with the new moves and new weapons, but the core is still there.   Running from cover to cover, trying to control the map and making sure you're not getting flanked, it's what people expect. 

Andrew
42 minutes ago, George P said:

I don't see where they've went backwards exactly?    Gears has always and will always be a cover based 3rd person shooter, the core of the game isn't going to change, it stops being gears if it does.  They've added on top of that, with the new moves and new weapons, but the core is still there.   Running from cover to cover, trying to control the map and making sure you're not getting flanked, it's what people expect. 

I've never said anything about them changing it away from the formula or "core" of the series. We all saw how badly that went with Judgment.

+InsaneNutter

I don't think the Gears of War 4 Beta was bad, however I don't really think it was anything special either when compared to previous Gears games either.

Personally I think that's the problem for me, I’m a big fan of the series and have played all the previous games and find myself thinking can I really be bothered buying another Gears game? This will be the 5th Gears game in 10 years, the novelty / uniqueness of the series has worn off for me.

The first Gears was amazing, I had never personally played a 3rd person shooter like it before. The detail in the game was stunning at the time, it integrated perfect with the 360 Xbox Live / achievement concept which was also pretty new at the time. I also personally liked how the first was one of the few games which had a server list and not match making. I liked been able to host a game, set the maps / game mode and just playing with friends and having random people join.

Horde mode in Gears 2 was a great addition, although the match making sucked which kinda spoiled multiplayer in my opinion.

Gears 3 finished the trilogy off and the multiplayer was pretty good, match making improved but tbh I still wish games didn’t use it as I find it’s pretty unbalanced a lot of the time. I know it’s standard on pretty much all games these days so that’s not going to change.

I can’t help but think new games are just being churned out because the franchise will sell now. Unless something amazing is show at E3 campaign wise I don’t think ill be rushing to buy Gears 4 when it’s released.

Likewise with Halo, 7 games in to the franchise and it’s hard to get excited about a new games anymore… Maybe i’ve just been playing games for too long now, who knows?!

• Like 1
Andrew
4 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

snip

I can’t help but think new games are just being churned out because the franchise will sell now. Unless something amazing is show at E3 campaign wise I don’t think ill be rushing to buy Gears 4 when it’s released.

Likewise with Halo, 7 games in to the franchise and it’s hard to get excited about a new games anymore… Maybe i’ve just been playing games for too long now, who knows?!

It's not just you, I was tired of MS' line-up and their 4 crutches (Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable), way back in 2010/11. It doesn't look like they have any plans to stop either, not with The Coalition existing as their dedicated Gears studios, along with 343 and T10 for their respective games.

• 2 weeks later...
Vandalsquad
On 5/3/2016 at 10:40 PM, Andrew said:

I don't think I have either. They've been too reliant on sequels and HD remasters :( But that's besides the point.

I don't expect "massive" changes, but I certainly don't expect them to go backwards either (N)

Uncharted? And Killzone? (Hopefully dead for good..) And Gran Turismo when ever we get it. For arguments sake you could say the only decent new exclusive IP Sony has had this gen has been Bloodborne.. But that's off topic.

Gears has always been about the single player story and co-op to me over the multi player. So as long as that holds candle to the last 3 that's all I'll ask for. 

Andrew
2 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Uncharted? And Killzone? (Hopefully dead for good..) And Gran Turismo when ever we get it. For arguments sake you could say the only decent new exclusive IP Sony has had this gen has been Bloodborne.. But that's off topic.

Gears has always been about the single player story and co-op to me over the multi player. So as long as that holds candle to the last 3 that's all I'll ask for. 

It is off topic because the topic is not about Sony and a silly attempt to start console war non-sense (N)

If you're happy with the game, good for you (Y)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft announces live-stream event for Xbox Series X|S launch
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft announced that it's going to be holding a live-stream event on November 10, the day that its next-generation Xbox consoles launch. Obviously, the event is to celebrate the launch of the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S.

The company says that this event is meant to be a companion for your already-existing gaming plans that day. There are going to be "Let's Play" segments, and you'll be invited to play alongside of the content creators on the stream. Microsoft refers to it as grabbing your "device of choice", a nod to how you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox games anymore, as we can stream them to an array of Android devices.

"To honor the launch of the new Xbox generation, we invite you to celebrate this power of play with us," said Xbox chief Phil Spencer in a blog post. "On November 10, we invite you, players of all identities and backgrounds, console generations and devices, skill sets and tastes, to celebrate, connect, and play together. We invite you to grab your device of choice and play alongside Team Xbox, your favorite creators, and our partners, right from your homes around the world. We invite you to take a glimpse behind-the-scenes of the next generation of games, hear the stories of people who make them, and play along with them."

The event will be at 2pm Eastern Time on November 10, and you'll be able to watch on YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook Gaming.

• By Rich Woods
      Xbox Games with Gold for November includes Full Spectrum Warrior and more
      by Rich Woods

Microsoft revealed today next month's round of four games for Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. This time around, there are the usual two Xbox One games, but the other two are split between one Xbox 360 game and one game for the original Xbox. Obviously, they can all be played on the company's current generation of consoles, and they'll actually be available to play on the next generation of consoles (Xbox Series X|S) as well, being that those consoles can play anything that's playable on the Xbox One family.

Here are the free Games with Gold titles announced today and their arrival dates:

Aragami: Shadow Edition (Xbox One, November 1 - 30)

Swimsanity! (November 16 - December 15)

Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox, November 1 - 15)

LEGO Indiana Jones (Xbox 360, November 16 - 30)

As usual, Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers need to claim their games between the designated dates, and if they cancel their subscription, they'll only be able to keep the Xbox and Xbox 360 games.

Note that you can still claim most of last month's Games with Gold. There are a couple of days left to grab Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut (Xbox One) and Costume Quest (Xbox 360), and you've got until November 15 to claim Maid of Sker (Xbox One).

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft has more updates coming to the Xbox Game Bar on Windows 10
      by Rich Woods

Microsoft has been working hard on improving its Xbox Game Bar on Windows 10. It completely redesigned the utility in mid-2019, and even introduced a store for third-party Game Bar widgets earlier this year. It's no surprise that more improvements are on the way, as the company announced today.

These improvements come in the form of new widgets. There are new Resources and Performance widgets. The former will let you see which apps are using which resources, and it allows you to shut down those apps without having to leave your game. The latter lets you monitor GPU utilization and GPU memory.

Gamecaster also has a new widget, which is an in-game overlay that lets you track things like followers and chat messages from your audience while streaming. There's also a new ASUS Armory Crate widget, which lets users toggle between five different HyperFan modes.

Finally, there's one non-widget-related update. If you go to Settings -> Gaming features, you'll be able to see if your PC supports DirectX 12 Ultimate. DX12 Ultimate lets you use new features like DirectX Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback.

All of these new features are available today.

• By indospot
      Microsoft killing off Gears Pop! mobile game after less than two years
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft is killing off its mobile game based on the Gears of War franchise, Gears Pop! The announcement was made through the game's official website.

The game's servers will be shut down on April 26, 2021, and until then, some of the events that have been available in the past are coming back, with Bounty rewards being increased and higher drop rates for Legendary Pins. However, in-game purchases are disabled effective immediately, and refunds will be issued for purchases made in the past 90 days.

Microsoft first announced that the Gears of War franchise would be making its way to mobile devices at E3 2018, and the game launched in May of 2019. It features many of the well-known characters in the franchise, but they're depicted with designs based on those of the Pop! figures by Funko. Many of those designs also turned into real-life figures shortly after the game launched.

As to why the game is shutting down, Microsoft simply says it's no longer feasible to keep maintaining the development of the game. Presumably, the title wasn't as big of a success as the company would have wanted.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft says Xbox Series X and S will leverage "full" RDNA 2 capabilities
      by Abhay Venkatesh

AMD took to the virtual stage today to unveil its next-generation GPU offerings based on RDNA 2 architecture that is built on the 7nm process. The firm announced a trio of Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs that aim to go against Nvidia’s latest RTX 30 series offerings, promising higher performance per watt. During the presentation, the company also mentioned that it worked with Microsoft to optimize the architecture with technologies like DirectStorage API and more.

Now, Microsoft has explained through a blog post how its next-generation gaming consoles, the Xbox Series X and Series S, will integrate with the RDNA 2 architecture to leverage all the capabilities announced by AMD today, to deliver a “level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures”. These benefits include hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing, Mesh Shaders, Sampler Feedback from the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and Variable Rate Shading.

The Redmond firm says that it has been working with AMD from the initial development phases of the Xbox Series X|S, and that it “chose to wait for the most advanced technology” from AMD before finalizing its architecture. It has worked to improved NPC intelligence and visuals through machine learning.

The firm is also working to bring ML-powered super resolution to the consoles as well, a possible rival to Nvidia’s DLSS 2.0 supersampling method, to the Xbox consoles. All these technologies, the company says, allows the consoles to achieve high quality, high fidelity visuals with realistic shadows and reflections.

Along with bringing these technologies and capabilities to the console, Microsoft says that it is also working with AMD to bring these benefits to the PC, which will provide developers a “common set of features” when developing games across the PC and console platforms. Other improvements from AMD such as Smart Access Memory - that allows full GPU memory access to Ryzen 5000 series CPUs - will further improve performance on the PC.

Microsoft’s post is interesting because the PlayStation 5 also features a custom RDNA 2 architecture-based GPU running alongside a Zen 2-based CPU. It will be fascinating to see what benefits the Xbox consoles can bring to overall performance thanks to the “full” hardware-level integration with the RDNA 2 architecture.