LinkSys Firmware Release With UPnP Support

This is my first post so I hope it's a good one!

LinkSys just released new firmware for the BEFSR11/BEFSR41/BEFSRU31 routers (maybe others) which incorporates the new UPnP protocol.

This is great news since you will now be able to use voice chat and the web cam features of Windows Messenger.

The firmware can be found here.

Here are the release notes:

Firmware Date : January 25,2002

Current Firmware : Version 1.42.3

Product PartNo : BEFSR11/BEFSR41/BEFSRU31

Ver #. Date Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.42.3 Jan 25,01

1. Router can support PCs with small MTU settings to configure the router.

2. Supports Applying settings without rebooting (Password, DHCP, MAC Filter, Forwarding, DMZ, MAC Addr.Clone)

3. Added DNS and WINS setting in DHCP User Interface page.

4. Support for UPnP forwarding loopback

5. Support for multi-IPSec pass-through

6. Fixed Nortel VPN pass-thru

7. Forced MTU enabled and size = 1492,when PPPoE is enabled

8. Added DHCP Lease time for LAN connections

1.41 Dec 19,01

1. Added UPnP Support

2. Added PPTP client for European users.

3. Updated Web upgrade utility

4. New WAN connection setting Interface in the SETUP page.

5. Supports MSN messanger 4.5 (voice and file transfer without DMZ setting)

Come to think about it, this should actually be posted on the main page news. A lot of people out there using LinkSys routers would be pleased to know that MSN can now do file transfers.

After upgrading to the new firmware, I did notice something (besides MSN file transfers finally working). Unlike all the previous upgrades I've done to the router, this one actually cleared all ports on the Forward tab. Took me a good 15 minutes to figure out why no one could connect to my MUD. ; ) Might want to add that as a note at the bottom of the news. "Warning, this version does clear previously saved Forwarded ports. Make sure to write them down so you can re-enter them after the upgrade."

I love how my router no longer kicks into Diag mode after I add or modify something in the router configuration. Now I don't have to worry about all my software apps that require internet access (Kazaa, Hotline, MSN, ICQ, AIM, etc.) to get disconnected every time I make some type of change.

I think LinkSys has really outdone theirselves this time. =D

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully got remote assistance or Messenger's phone call capability to work with the new firmware. I can't get either of those to functions to work. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Empyrean  

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully got remote assistance or Messenger's phone call capability to work with the new firmware. I can't get either of those to functions to work. Any ideas?

Forward port 3389 to the machine that you want to connect to. As for MSN Messenger's phone calling capability, no clue. I use a real phone to call people.

Originally posted by Jackalo  

About damn time they added support for file transfers over MSN...

I was never able to tansfer over MSN through mine, but if i was the DMZ host i could. :|

Has anyone noticed MSN messenger (latest ver for winxp)dropping it's connection periodically with the latest linksys firmware? I had this problem before with 1.40+ as well and to reflash to ver 1.39. Everything else stays connected, just some wierd quark between msn messenger the router. Any work around?

Thankyou so much for asking this question. I have had this problem ever since I upgraded to Messenger 4.6 and so far I haven't been able to find out a fix for it.

Can anyone help us???