Ford GT

I will be right back, I need to take care of an issue in my pants.

source:  http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/the-lucky-500-applications-open-for-the-ford-gt-supercar/

Ford-GT-at-NAIAS-02-980x477.jpg

So far, we've seen the new Ford GT in Forza, at auto shows, and on the track at Daytona. Deliveries of the 600hp (447kW) supercar begin later in the year, but with just 500 cars planned, many have wondered how they will be allocated. On Wednesday morning, the Blue Oval revealed its plan; customers will be chosen from online applicants, and if you have $400,000 (~£320,000) and want a GT in your garage, you have until May 12 to apply.

On Tuesday afternoon, we spoke to Henry Ford III about the program. He told us there had been plenty of internal discussion on how to allocate 500 GTs across the 10,000 Ford dealers in the US and 18 other countries. "We want to put the car in the hands of people who are true brand ambassadors for Ford," he told us. That means people who will drive their GTs—to track days, to Cars and Coffee, and the like—rather than lock it away, or worse, flip it for a quick buck.

Senior management at Ford will review the applicant pool and make some hard choices after the May deadline. The lucky few will be guided through the ordering process by a concierge service that will liaise between the local Ford dealer and Ford Performance, the new division that is responsible for developing and building the GT (as well as some of Ford's other more interesting vehicles).

Meanwhile, development of the road car continues. The car is still in the prototype stage and is benefiting from lessons learned at the racetrack. A pair of Ford GTs have contested the Rolex 24 at Daytona and more recently the 12 Hours of Sebring, and a second pair will race at this weekend's opening event for the World Endurance Challenge. The goal is to repeat Ford's 1966 success at Le Mans. "The vehicle is all about celebrating the brand," Ford told us.

We also asked whether there would be trickle-down from the GT to more mundane vehicles. "This level of technology and innovation is unprecedented at Ford. We've pushed EcoBoost to levels we didn't think possible before," he said, adding that Ford has also learned a lot about using carbon fiber, aluminum, and active aerodynamics. "We think down the road there could be applications to a lot of other Ford vehicles. We're always experimenting with new lightweight materials. The more we learn with the Ford GT, the more we're able to use those in other cars."

If you want to apply for a Ford GT, or just want to spec out your dream car, the site is now live.

• Like 2

If I could afford a supercar, this has always been my go to choice. The GT is so clean, and so powerful. I think the first time I fell in love with one of these, was seeing a twin turbo build on youtube.

So are they still sticking with 600hp ?

I understand that, under the right weight, right gearing, 600hp can be formidable - but @ $400,000...  you dont want something that can hang with a GT-R - you better have something that can eat it for breakfast. 

It would be very disappointing if I paid $400,000 for a Ford GT, and were sweating bullets pulling up next to a HellCat - the epitome of white trash supercars.

There are lots of things we still don't know, like actual performance numbers and weight.  

We do know they didn't build this for acceleration. They did build to have faster lap times.  We also know is that there are only 500 made which puts it into collector car status... so even if it is the slowest turd out there, it will still be worth some coin.  

I certainly wouldn't be sweating bullets next to a hell cat with this car....even if the car didn't move.  Two things will happen if it goes to an enthusiast. ..it will get modded and it will get driven. 

It will be interesting to see actual numbers...but I certainly won't have one ever and it won't be because of lack of want. 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw one at the Detroit auto show...looks amazing. You just have to love Ford's performance offering - Focus RS (soon!), FoST, FiST, Mustang GT, GT350/R, and now this...