Falcon 9: Eutelsat & ABS dual-manifested commsats (mission thread)

22 hours ago, DocM said:

Static fire moved to Sunday.

Delayed by the Delta IV Heavy scrub. NROL didn't feel comfortable with their $billion bird being on the pad while another rocket was firing several miles away. 

If I remember correctly, SpaceX had this booked, prior to ULA wanting the Thursday launch (scrub). The earlier original launch date cancellation was  from NRO.

Thursday scrub then causes a delay with SpaceX, then this silliness....

NRO and ULA both caused delays to SpaceX by trying to fit into a one day slot.

----------------------------------------

10 minutes ago, DocM said:

NRO made the call.

True, but they chose the launch day after NRO delayed the initial launch date.

Have not been able to see any activity for static fire, assume one for Monday I imagine. With a Wednesday launch, should be ample time if no bugs found. News has been lacking with this static fire....guess I will do some "barge stalking" instead...:D

Aaaah....ninja fire....:D

Falcon 9 checks off Static Fire for third GEO Satellite Launch in a Row

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket hot fired its engines on Sunday to set up for the vehicle’s third commercial communications satellite launch in the space of just under six weeks.

Aiming for liftoff on Wednesday, Falcon 9 will be carrying two stacked spacecraft built by Boeing Space Systems for satellite operators Eutelsat Americas and Asia Broadcast Satellite (ABS). This marks the second dual-payload launch for the two companies after the Eutelsat 115 West B and ABS 3A satellites headed into orbit aboard a Falcon 9 v1.1 rocket in March of 2015.

With a combined payload mass of around 4,200 Kilograms and the increased power of the Falcon 9 FT launch vehicle, this mission will leave sufficient propellant margin on the rocket’s first stage for SpaceX’s next high-energy return attempt.

The two most recent sea-based landings of the booster atop the Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship have been a surprise as the vehicles were not expected to make it through a challenging re-entry environment. This mission will see similar conditions at re-entry, but previous flights have shown Falcon 9 is quite resilient – though it remains to be seen whether Falcon 9 can stand its fourth Drone Ship landing in a row.

http://spaceflight101.com/falcon-9-eutelsat-117-abs-2a-static-fire/

• Like 1

These static fires are going away before too long. They'll roll out, erect the launcher, gas up and launch in an hour or so.

Run 'n Gun.

USAF has wanted rapid response launch for decades, so once they can also integrate quickly USAF will be smiling. I would imagine Firefly etc. will be encouraged to do this for smaller payloads as well.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

I'm more comfortable with them doing the static fires, simply as a diagnostic pre-flight procedure before launch. It's 10 seconds of extra precaution, wait ten minutes to read green, top off the tanks and reset the system, and then launch. Certainly no harm in that? :D 

^ above twitter only shows top portion of image on my system, will repost to see if it shows...

// will post and check...

//edit, shows now   ? gremlins

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Draggendrop said:

^ above twitter only shows top portion of image on my system, will repost to see if it shows...

<snip>

// will post and check...

//edit, shows now   ? gremlins

Always seems to display that way for me :pinch:.  Always thought it was MS edge or something doing that.

• Like 1

Station 41047 - NE BAHAMAS - 350 NM ENE of Nassau, Bahamas

Z27A_2016_06_15_1310.jpg

Significant Wave Height (WVHT):3.0 ft

Swell Height (SwH):3.0 ft

Swell Period (SwP):6.7 sec

Swell Direction (SwD):N

Wind Wave Height (WWH):1.3 ft

Wind Wave Period (WWP):4.0 sec

Wind Wave Direction (WWD):SW

Wave Steepness (STEEPNESS):AVERAGE

Average Wave Period (APD):5.3 sec

Wind Direction (WDIR):SSW ( 210 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD):5.8 kts

Wind Gust (GST):7.8 kts

Wave Height (WVHT):3.0 ft

Dominant Wave Period (DPD):7 sec

Average Period (APD):5.3 sec

Mean Wave Direction (MWD):N ( 354 deg true )

Atmospheric Pressure (PRES):30.13 in

Air Temperature (ATMP):81.7 °F

Water Temperature (WTMP):81.1 °F

Dew Point (DEWP):76.8 °F

Heat Index (HEAT):89.2 °F

Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M):7.8 kts

Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M):7.8 kts

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41047