PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

On 4/20/2016 at 11:39 AM, brpsycho said:

oh ok... sorry for the misunderstanding (and thanks for the details too). I actually had no idea what the required specs for 4k were like - I don't own anything that does 4k.

yep, think of rendering 4k games = 4x 1080p surface area and 4x the AA/AF, you'd need at least a card up in the 1080GTX level, with as much texture ram as it also.

Id be surprised if the CPU would be up to it even with a capable GPU, they need to get those clock speeds past 3ghz and a 1080 comparable GPU. Powering that form a slimline PSU internally is asking a lot, games rigs are around 750W minimum for that level of perf, the engineering in something as neat as a PS4 to accomodate that would be neigh on impossible currently (retaining an internal psu). 

Upscaling say 900p or 1080p to 4k displays, probably, but thats not native 4k (bit like Nvidias DSR is not native 4k)

photo and the home system playing native 4k video yes, games, no just no, doesnt have the grunt or the bandwidth to manage that.

Edited by Mando

48 minutes ago, Andrew said:

They haven't even formally announced the console, let alone the release date. I seriously don't think it's coming in 2016. For all we know, they have pushed back release to late 2017 to match MS.

Sony is downplaying the differences between Neo and the launch console so they DON'T want to make a big deal about the launch.  The primary purpose of the console is just to get manufacturing costs down and add in non-gaming related 4k streaming (disc?) support.  As such it's not something Sony feels they should be hyping in a major conference keynote.  I expect it to launch fairly quietly at either Tokyo Game Show or Gamescom/Paris Game Show.

If Neo doesn't launch in 2016 I bet it won't launch in it's current form at all.  I'd be surprised if that happened but if it does I'd say it likely would occur as a reaction to Microsoft's unexpected Project Scorpio announcement.  No Neo in 2016 means Sony likely won't launch anything in 2017 and if that should happen I'd wager on a PS5 (possibly with backwards compatibility but also with exclusive PS5 games that don't have to be able to run on launch PS4s) in 2018 not an improved PS4.

1 hour ago, Asmodai said:

Sony is downplaying the differences between Neo and the launch console so they DON'T want to make a big deal about the launch.  The primary purpose of the console is just to get manufacturing costs down and add in non-gaming related 4k streaming (disc?) support.  As such it's not something Sony feels they should be hyping in a major conference keynote.  I expect it to launch fairly quietly at either Tokyo Game Show or Gamescom/Paris Game Show.

If Neo doesn't launch in 2016 I bet it won't launch in it's current form at all.  I'd be surprised if that happened but if it does I'd say it likely would occur as a reaction to Microsoft's unexpected Project Scorpio announcement.  No Neo in 2016 means Sony likely won't launch anything in 2017 and if that should happen I'd wager on a PS5 (possibly with backwards compatibility but also with exclusive PS5 games that don't have to be able to run on launch PS4s) in 2018 not an improved PS4.

We're all tossing out our best guesses here, but with the info leaks being what they are, and how correct the leaks have been in the past about the hardware, I think they're pretty far into the development of the Neo already.  We know it's real, they've said as much, just because they didn't talk about it at E3 was probably marketing related because of what MS talked about.    MS isn't going to be at TGS, that's official now, so Sony has all that show to themselves to talk up the Neo and it's PSVR ability. 

I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are as far as "leaked" documents but there is a claimed NEO leak here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/312585554/PS4-5-NEO-pdf

If we're not supposed to post links to such things I apologize and please delete this post.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are as far as "leaked" documents but there is a claimed NEO leak here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/312585554/PS4-5-NEO-pdf

If we're not supposed to post links to such things I apologize and please delete this post.

Supposedly what the GiantBomb and Eurogamer leaks came from. 

On 07/07/2016 at 2:27 PM, Andrew said:

They haven't even formally announced the console, let alone the release date. I seriously don't think it's coming in 2016. For all we know, they have pushed back release to late 2017 to match MS.

:whistle:

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

:whistle:

I'm not sure what's meant by this?

I'm still convinced it's coming out this year (and if not will be scrapped entirely which is unlikely).  This document doesn't in any way change that.  In fact the documents claim that every PS4 game launching after Oct. 1 has to be NEO aware seems to indicate a launch date of around Oct.  Gamescom is in Aug and that's the earliest I think they'd announce it at this point.  Tokyo Game Show is in Sept and I'd say that's a more likely launch venue.  Paris Games Week is at the end of Oct. so I'd say that's the "last chance" and if isn't launched on or before then it's likely not coming.

24 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

kiLU7yP.png

Just a placeholder date. Means nothing.

16 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure what's meant by this?

I'm still convinced it's coming out this year (and if not will be scrapped entirely which is unlikely).  This document doesn't in any way change that.  In fact the documents claim that every PS4 game launching after Oct. 1 has to be NEO aware seems to indicate a launch date of around Oct.  Gamescom is in Aug and that's the earliest I think they'd announce it at this point.  Tokyo Game Show is in Sept and I'd say that's a more likely launch venue.  Paris Games Week is at the end of Oct. so I'd say that's the "last chance" and if isn't launched on or before then it's likely not coming.

Seeing as Sony have confirmed they will not be presenting a conference this year, a Gamescom announcement is off the cards IMO. TGS and Paris are the only feasible events with enough time before holidays to drum up hype. PSX is December which is far too late.

The document claiming games need to support it after Oct.1st is no different to consoles building up a portfolio before launch. They don't want the console to come out with only 1 or 2 games which support the new hardware. By the time the console (potentially) launches in 2017 they can claim "supports x number of games, incl. recently released hit y game from Xmas 2016".

If they aren't even recalling the prototype hardware until next year, then I don't see how the console is launching beforehand (slide 17):

Prototype Hardware Returns

• To begin at the start of 2017
  • Mass-produced units will be available prior to prototype returns, but release timing is still TBD

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Seeing as Sony have confirmed they will not be presenting a conference this year, a Gamescom announcement is off the cards IMO. TGS and Paris are the only feasible events with enough time before holidays to drum up hype. PSX is December which is far too late.

Again, I don't think Sony is going to make a big deal about the launch like a keynote speech or anything.  As such they may well release a press release or whatever timed with Gamescom that officially announces Neo.  That said though as I stated I do think Tokyo Game Show is more likely. (the most likely of the three in fact).

The document claiming games need to support it after Oct.1st is no different to consoles building up a portfolio before launch. They don't want the console to come out with only 1 or 2 games which support the new hardware. By the time the console (potentially) launches in 2017 they can claim "supports x number of games, incl. recently released hit y game from Xmas 2016".

It IS different to consoles building up a portfolio before launch because it's still a PS4 and is compatible with all existing PS4 games.  There are no NEO exclusives so it has a portfolio before launch, every existing PS4 game.  Again I don't think they're going to make a big deal about NEO games being better due to fear of blowback from current PS4 owners mad about their "lesser" PS4.

If they aren't even recalling the prototype hardware until next year, then I don't see how the console is launching beforehand (slide 17):

They don't recall all of the prototypes before the commercial version launches, especially since the ones noted in the document are "Final Spec".  They let developers keep the prototypes for a while, there IS overlap.  The main difference between the last prototype and the launch version is just the chassis design.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying it's PROOF that it will launch this year, it clearly isn't.  I'm just saying I don't see how the document in any way shows there's less of a chance than before it was leaked.

i think Sony is really trying to find a way to squeeze Neo in without it taking attention away from PSVR, and may also be having issue(s) with price point.

I honestly believe Sony is trying NOT to make a big deal out of Neo and keep low key.. While the media (and to an extent us the gamer) very much putting it in the spotlight.

Personally I say, they may as well release it for this Christmas and go from there.

24 minutes ago, Showan said:

i think Sony is really trying to find a way to squeeze Neo in without it taking attention away from PSVR, and may also be having issue(s) with price point.

I honestly believe Sony is trying NOT to make a big deal out of Neo and keep low key.. While the media (and to an extent us the gamer) very much putting it in the spotlight.

Personally I say, they may as well release it for this Christmas and go from there.

Maybe they can promote is as a 4K streaming/4KBlu-Ray box that happens to play vid'ya games...:woot:

3 minutes ago, Showan said:

Maybe they can promote is as a 4K streaming/4KBlu-Ray box that happens to play vid'ya games...:woot:

Promoting the non-game media capabilities of the console worked GREAT for MS at the original Xbox One launch so why not!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

Promoting the non-game media capabilities of the console worked GREAT for MS at the original Xbox One launch so why not!

Sony has already very much gotten it into everyone's head that vid'ya games is priority 1,2,and 3...  I believe they can keep the videogame ad's going while sneaking in some 4k promotions as well..

9 hours ago, Showan said:

It's either this or damage control and scraping the entire system and taking their losses and going back to the drawing board to match the Scorpio in 2017, buying a 2016 Playstation that doesn't do 4K or waiting 12 months for a console that will deliver 4K for the future. Isn't really a hard choice in my eyes. And they'll be limited when to release a PS5 to get the best of xbox for another 3 years at least if they go down this route. 

Either way flip of the coin at the moment to how they'll let it play out.