Justice League (2017) / Snyder Cut (2021)

22 hours ago, George P said:

Just from the new trailer you can tell we're in for quite a different ride.  Sure the story beats are the same but Snyders cut is beefed up to the max it looks like.

Totally agree, I seriously can't wait to put 4 hours aside for this!

It may very well not be all that much better than the 1st version, but it will be worth the watch.  With that said, I think we are all going to enjoy this much more. 

On 17/02/2021 at 19:29, Innervisions33 said:

It may very well not be all that much better than the 1st version, but it will be worth the watch.  With that said, I think we are all going to enjoy this much more. 

Well really, this song has the PERFECT lyrics to respond with!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished it, 8/10 from me.  I didn't notice the 4hrs pass, so it didn't drag IMO.    There's a good chunk of setup for a sequel but who knows what WB will do?  Honestly if enough fans keep going on about wanting more then it could be another possibility. 

58 minutes ago, rmorris003 said:

So many people are questioning the aspect ratio and yes it is 4:3

The whole movie is 4:3?  The fudge..?

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Apparently it's something to do with IMAX formatting, which is a poor excuse IMO, especially as the trailers were widescreen.

Anyway, my take on it.  He definitely improved on the original, but a polished turd is still a turd, sorry.  It flowed reasonably well, but the end scenes just don't really make any sense.  They really should have just eliminated the ruined Earth dream sequences completely (they made even LESS sense than the original cut), and the final bit with the additional character who I shall not mention because spoilers was just... very badly shoehorned in and made bugger all sense to the narrative...

Best part of the whole movie is a LOT more backstory for Cyborg.  That was neat.

All in all, the Snyder Cut moved my rating of Justice League from 5/10 for the original cut, to 7 out of 10.

Also, to add... Being in the UK the only way to watch this legally was on Sky Cinema, so I subbed up to NowTV (thankfully on a 7 day trial), and at 7am this morning, I was greeted with "Sorry, but the scheduled movie has been replaced with (something else that's a pile of hot stinky poo)"  and they showed some crappy Christmas romcom instead...  Needless to say I was apoplectic with rage!  It took about 90 minutes for NowTV to have a streamable version available and THAT was rather pixelated from compression artefacts in places...

Not exactly the best streaming experience I've had... Should have given it to Netflix.

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jim K said:

The ratio for 4:3 and imax digital are almost the same. Any imax screen I've been to is more square than it is wide. 

And no, all the trailers for this cut were 4:3.

9 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Apparently it's something to do with IMAX formatting, which is a poor excuse IMO, especially as the trailers were widescreen.

Anyway, my take on it.  He definitely improved on the original, but a polished turd is still a turd, sorry.  It flowed reasonably well, but the end scenes just don't really make any sense.  They really should have just eliminated the ruined Earth dream sequences completely (they made even LESS sense than the original cut), and the final bit with the additional character who I shall not mention because spoilers was just... very badly shoehorned in and made bugger all sense to the narrative...

Best part of the whole movie is a LOT more backstory for Cyborg.  That was neat.

All in all, the Snyder Cut moved my rating of Justice League from 5/10 for the original cut, to 7 out of 10.

Also, to add... Being in the UK the only way to watch this legally was on Sky Cinema, so I subbed up to NowTV (thankfully on a 7 day trial), and at 7am this morning, I was greeted with "Sorry, but the scheduled movie has been replaced with (something else that's a pile of hot stinky poo)"  and they showed some crappy Christmas romcom instead...  Needless to say I was apoplectic with rage!  It took about 90 minutes for NowTV to have a streamable version available and THAT was rather pixelated from compression artefacts in places...

Not exactly the best streaming experience I've had... Should have given it to Netflix.

The ruined earth scene makes sense to me. It's a spoiler of a possible future that could have been the basis of a future JL movie. 

Maybe I have more context as a DC fan who's read the comics. Though I think the movie gives you enough info to put 2 and 2 together. 

• Like 1

Making it 4:3 was a terrible choice. What does imax have to do with anything... this cut isn't showing in imax theaters, its only streaming on tvs.  I don't get it.

Anyways, I'm only half way though.. will watch the rest tonight.

52 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

Making it 4:3 was a terrible choice. What does imax have to do with anything... this cut isn't showing in imax theaters, its only streaming on tvs.  I don't get it.

Anyways, I'm only half way though.. will watch the rest tonight.

It was filmed with imax ratio in mind, it would've been in imax.   And how is it a bad choice when you're actually seeing more of the frame compared to if it was cropped to 16:9?   Snyder filmed it with imax in mind, he wanted his version to be viewed that specific way.   

2 hours ago, George P said:

It was filmed with imax ratio in mind, it would've been in imax.   And how is it a bad choice when you're actually seeing more of the frame compared to if it was cropped to 16:9?   Snyder filmed it with imax in mind, he wanted his version to be viewed that specific way.   

I guess that kinda makes sense.

I grew up in a time when the only way to see ANYTHING on tv was in 4:3 (known as the "Academy Ratio" i.e., the industry standard, up until 1953-54), so that was the ONLY way to see most of the movies and shows we wanted to watch. Also, in monochrome/black and white, it's what most of us had until around 1970, when a lot of folks broke down and bought color TV sets (most of which had crappy color saturation and stability at the time, and you needed to have a powerful local broadcast signal (no cable tv yet) or all you would see on your tube was multicolored snow/fuzz). My dad didn't break down and get a decent color tv until about 1973, but by then I was about to drive off to Cali for film school.

So in short, I *love* 4:3 and wish it was the standard ratio to this day. 🤓 

PS: Around 90 % of my current DVD and Bluray collection is of older films and TV shows in their original 4:3. Like the original Twilight Zone, etc. 👍

Just finished it and to sum it up...it is better than Whedon's version...is it any good? No.

From movies like these You can clearly see why the legendary John Ford, when asked what are the 3 most important things for a good movie, replied...screenplay, screenplay and screenplay,

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed it A LOT. Didn't like the original Justice's League. The Snyder cut is very well done. Hey, if it's 4 hours long and you don't notice you've been sitting in the same couch, I'd consider it a good movie