ZFS Question

Mindovermaster

I read that ZFS uses a lot of RAM. I think the rate is 1TB per 1GB RAM, coorect?

Being I have 2x 640GB and 2x 320GB HDDs, and 4GB RAM, I should be set, yes? Little head room never hurt anyone...

BinaryData
9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I read that ZFS uses a lot of RAM. I think the rate is 1TB per 1GB RAM, coorect?

Being I have 2x 640GB and 2x 320GB HDDs, and 4GB RAM, I should be set, yes? Little head room never hurt anyone...

You should be fine, but adding another 4GB wouldn't hurt either. If you're on a budget, then roll with 4GB until you've got the dough to grab another 4GB.

Is it DDR3/DDR4 memory?

Mindovermaster

No, this uses DDR2. Hard to find these days. The system id an old 775. Running FreeNAS, but didn't format the drives yet.

BinaryData
4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

No, this uses DDR2. Hard to find these days. The system id an old 775. Running FreeNAS, but didn't format the drives yet.

It hurts when you call 775 old ;) My primary desktop is still running the 775 socket. Haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611%20601190323

NewEgg has DDR2 Memory available, and for fairly cheap.

Mindovermaster

I mean old, as in, it's a few series before my i5. Not that it's old as in my grandpa. :p

However, I'm low on money right now. I'll upgrade it in the future :)