Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

They have made it official and is now out of beta.

However, it is not possible to USB UEFI install it if you have this combination (Z170 Chipset + Nvidia GTX 970 or higher + Display Port connection) 

Setting boot parameter to ACPI=OFF gets the usb installation to boot up and running but after completing the installation, the system will not boot. 

So much so for all the beta testing. This is embarrassing and worse than Alpha build stuff.

The year of Linux is upon us. 

So they are building 16.04.1 for all those affected. LMAO. 

Download here

However, those with LGA1150 or earlier chipsets are NOT affected - my own setup is one such -  USB UEFI clean install.  (The chipset is, in fact, the difference - H81.)  For that same reason, other installs on LGA1150 or earlier likely wouldn't be affected, either.  Further, does the same bug show up where one of those pre-conditions does NOT exist - HDMI or DVI, for example?  (I can't use DisplayPort - even though my nV GTX550Ti supports it, and includes one DP-out - for the rather sane reason that my DISPLAY doesn't support it - the FP display supports DVI-I or DVI-D (both digital), HDMI, and D-sub, while the GPU supports DVI-D out, DVI-I out (separate ports for each), mini-HDMI (one port) DisplayPort (one port).  No D-sub out at all.  And due to lack of a mini-HDMI to HDMI dongle, no HDMI-out, either; therefore, I'm stuck using DVI (for any OS) via discrete graphics.  I can use HDMI - for Intel HD4400 or HDMI audio - however, that's it.

Just tried using HDMI only and it boots up with some Compiz error and screen is flickering with the bug message so hard to read. Not possible to continue with installation. 

Disappointing. Cannonical should rename themselves to Comical. 

10 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

It's beta software. 

OP stated its out of Beta. But I've never heard of Ubuntu having issues with creating USB installs.

Well I downloaded Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS (final) yesterday. It's all set up fine for me, but then I think my machine is not one of those affected.

It seems faster to boot up and to start programs, but otherwise looks the same (it's XFCE).

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

OP stated its out of Beta. But I've never heard of Ubuntu having issues with creating USB installs.

rufus 2.8 requires an update  - however, that was not a problem.

I've had some funkiness with both USB-created Media and using Compiz on HDMI. Since I was dual-booting, I deleted the second install, shrugged and went about my business on my Mint 17.3 installation.

LTS releases seem to usually have some oddball stuff going on for the first month or two, then they're okay. Mostly. 12.04 was a train wreck, though ... don't think I'll ever forget that one. Just all-around nasty for six months until they got it stabilized. 

Give 16.04 a couple of months and it'll be okay.

9 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Creating bootable UEFI installer USB is not a problem. Rufus 2.8 does it. But booting it off Z170 Motherboard with Nvidia Maxwell GPU is a problem. Both HDMI and DP port seem to be preventing the installer to boot up.

@Unobscured Vision

No amount of patches will work if we cannot get it to install. They have to release a completely new ISO image with updated files.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PGHammer said:

rufus 2.8 requires an update  - however, that was not a problem.

can i install ubuntu 16.04 LTS and install it on a secure boot, UEFI system? or is this just a windows thing?

@chrisj1968 likely need to wait until the USB Installer tools get updated to support 16.04 (Rufus, etc). I have always used WinSetupFromUSB in the past, but it isn't kept as up-to-date as I would prefer.

I have access to a Windows machine, so I'm able to try stuff out as needed/desired .. that being said, I installed the MATE flavor of 16.04 and ran up against some issues that bodged it up; so I recommend waiting for a month or so until Canonical and the Ubuntu MATE Devs push a few rounds of updates uphill. Too many problems that didn't get sorted out for release day, as usual, so they left them up to updates. I'm willing to give it another go in a week or two if I hear that they've addressed stability problems.

Far as UEFI/Secure Boot, should be fine. Ubuntu has been cool with it for a while now.

Been experimenting with it a bit on a spare system.. Actually fairly nice. Not surprised by the X vulnerability though, but that aside I may keep it. Linux in general still doesn't recognize the 11ac adapter in the thing which is disappointing, need to replace that with something a bit older but all in all a solid desktop for my non gaming needs.

If you have an Intel Skylake (6th gen) CPU and an NVIDIA GPU (or possibly other GPUs that likewise require use of the llvmpipe opengl software fallback), a work-around is needed to install Ubuntu 16.04 desktop.

To work-around this, you'll need to:

1. Highlight "Install Ubuntu" in the pre-boot grub menu (rather than "Try Ubuntu without installing")

2. Boot with nomodeset (press E and add nomodeset after quiet splash and press F10)

3. It will finally start the setup and Check "Download updates while installing Ubuntu" while installing.

4. Let it complete install and reboot to login screen. Login with your name and password. Now the Unity UI wont load but you will have the pink/purple wallpaper. So to load terminal by pressing CTRL + ALT + F2 and copy paste the terminal commands to remove faulty display driver and replace it with proprietary Nvidia display driver.

5. Remove Nouveau open source display driver.

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

6. Search for what driver number is available to install

sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

7. You will get a list like this

== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==

vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00000DDAsv000017AAsd000021D1bc03sc00i00
model    : GF106GLM [Quadro 2000M]
driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin
driver   : nvidia-361-updates - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-361 - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-361 - distro non-free recommended
driver   : nvidia-361-updates - distro non-free

8. The last line where it says driver : nvidia-361 (361 is the driver available. It will be higher number as Nvidia releases newer drivers)

9. Finally in terminal, pass this command

sudo apt-get install nvidia-361

substitute 361 with the latest number shown by the previous command.

10. Reboot or restart.

Simple 10 step tutorial. It is idiotic how such glaring bugs go unnoticed. Maybe Cannonical only uses old pre-skylake system due to budget cuts. :laugh:

*sigh* People certainly would have understood if the release needed to be delayed to triage release-breaker bugs like these.

Completely unacceptable for a showstopper glitch like this to be allowed to ship with an LTS release. There was plenty of testing on all sorts of platforms and hardware configurations; it's not like they couldn't have known about this one or the Snap Packages having such glaring security issues. People found the problems mere days after release.

Good grief. Is Canonical really having that much trouble?? If they are, that can't bode well at all.

16 hours ago, Frank B. said:

The new Snap package format isn't as secure as Canonical claim, at least when you're running the apps on X11: https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/42320.html

Your system as a whole is not as secure as it can be when using X, regardless of where you're using it.

On 26/04/2016 at 8:36 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

*sigh* People certainly would have understood if the release needed to be delayed to triage release-breaker bugs like these.

Completely unacceptable for a showstopper glitch like this to be allowed to ship with an LTS release. There was plenty of testing on all sorts of platforms and hardware configurations; it's not like they couldn't have known about this one or the Snap Packages having such glaring security issues. People found the problems mere days after release.

Good grief. Is Canonical really having that much trouble?? If they are, that can't bode well at all.

Funny thing, this Skylake + Nvidia bug was not present in the last public beta. They skipped public RC and released final build which had this issue. This issue was just brushed aside as if it was not a big deal since their own system was not affected by it.

On Skylake systems, we have to put ACPI=OFF as boot argument in GRUB over last 3-4 Ubuntu/Mint/Debian releases. Otherwise, the live USB on UEFI/GPT mode will not boot to desktop. No one gives a darn about fixing bugs any more.

• 1 month later...