Mint 17.1 Question

Earlier tonight, I saw that nothing was working on the task bar, in my browser, Skype, Spotiy... So I just reset the computer.

Then if I open up SRWare Iron or Chrome (as they are basically the same), whenever I click a link, it wants to download that html page...

I found this weird, so I just waited it out basically. I had things to do, anyway. But then I got back to the computer, everything is fine, back to normal...

Is this something I should worry about, look into, or did it just have a hiccup? I tried looking online, to no avail.

One of these random things...

That's a new one on me. I've never heard of SRWare Iron, so I can't tell you if that was causing any mischief or not. Glad it's sorted out now though.

I'm sure all is well. Long as it doesn't happen again you should be okay. Was the OS in the middle of an update operation when it misbehaved?

15 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I've never heard of SRWare Iron, so I can't tell you if that was causing any mischief or not.

It's a Chromium-based browser which the claim to fame is that it doesn't "spy" on you like Google Chrome is said to do. It's basically a scam and scareware and has been discredited on multiple sites for being as such. You can disable the "spy" stuff in Chrome anyways so this browser is pretty pointless, especially when you can just use Chromium to accomplish the same thing... assuming you're actually paranoid that Google is spying on you in Chrome. If that's the case, then I'd suggest to you that you do some research, read Google's Chrome privacy whitepaper, etc.  The SRWare Iron author uses the press generated by said scare campaign to gain revenue on page views through the ads on his site (which the author himself has admitted to). Ironic too, since as far as I know he's using Google's Adsense. :p

A good read if interested: http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/srware-iron-browser-a-real-private-alternative-to-chrome-21/

Edited by Boo Berry
  • Like 1

Thank you kindly for the info. To be honest, I don't lend much credence to "Google is evil" talk, nor the "Chrome spies on you" talk either. Our ISP's are more likely to record traffic results (as required by law); so for Google Chrome or any other browser to do it is rather pointless in my view.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Thank you kindly for the info. To be honest, I don't lend much credence to "Google is evil" talk, nor the "Chrome spies on you" talk either. Our ISP's are more likely to record traffic results (as required by law); so for Google Chrome or any other browser to do it is rather pointless in my view.

Nor do I, same with the "Windows 10 is spying on you" or "OS X is spying on you" talk. It's flawed logic really, if one tech giant was spying on you, all of them probably are. ;)

• Like 1

Lies. My life is so important that twelve different companies and three countries hire people to read what I write. I'M COMING FOR YOU, DAVE.

• Like 2

I just always used SRWare. IMO, it's lighter than Chrome. If someone wants to tell me I'm wrong, I don't care. It's what I use.

• Like 1

Agree with all @ above. Wasn't saying anyone used the browser for that specific reason; just tossing my two cents in there. ;) If it works for your needs, cool. :yes: 

6 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Google shoots kittens into space!

• Like 2

I think this is related to my issue with mint 17.1

I dont know enough, but another nVidia problem with latest version of mint.  The problems he is talking about were the same I experienced before it all went to crap.

12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I just always used SRWare. IMO, it's lighter than Chrome. If someone wants to tell me I'm wrong, I don't care. It's what I use.

It's not, I assure you. :p You'd be better off using Chromium instead since it's the exact SAME thing and it's 'official', minus the lame built-in ad blocker (seriously, who'd even use that POS over a proper extension?), IMO.

7 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Anyway, getting back to @Mindovermaster's issue ... has it happened again? Could be a dodgy Nvidia driver, I know they've been pushing some updates recently on the 364.x line -- anytime they update there's a risk of Xorg becoming non-responsive until it's restarted. The OS itself is known to restart that process if it gets jammed up.

364.19 is the latest stable version. It's working great here on Arch.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

It's not, I assure you. :p You'd be better off using Chromium instead since it's the exact SAME thing and it's 'official', minus the lame built-in ad blocker (seriously, who'd even use that POS over a proper extension?), IMO.

I use ABP, I don't need that browser POS...

• Like 1