The Flash (2022, DCEU)

Ezra Miller is already set for The Flash as Warner Bros.' big-screen Barry Allen, the fastest man alive, but now they're casting up for the rest of the primary roles in the film.

HeroicHollywood has a rumored list of characters, based on a casting breakdown sent to talent agencies. They're being cautious, though, even calling it a rumor themselves - when Umberto Gonzalez himself says to be cautious, you know he's not sure about it. The main reason? It sounds a lot like The Flash on TV, and the casting breakdowns for The CW's first season.

Iris West is on the list, and Gonzalez said he's also heard actresses in LA are actively testing for the role. Iris is still a reporter for the Central City Citizen and described as "Christiane Amanpour's brains and Carrie Bradshaw's style."

Eobard Thawne is next, "Central City's Bill Gates." Here's where things get fishy, as they say Eobard Thawne is confined to a wheelchair, due to a degenerative disease - Thawne being in a wheelchair (albeit under an assumed name) was something created for The Flash TV series. The use of Thawne, aka the Reverse Flash, wouldn't be too surprising - first films in superhero franchises do like to use doppelganger villains (enemies with similar, if not identical, power sets), after all - but in trying to remove it from the popular TV series, it seems odd to use the same big bad as season one.

Other characters include: Fred Chyre, a "gruff detective" investigating a death at "Thawne Laboratories"

Len Snart, an ex-military operative working for Thawne - of course, in the comics (and the TV show), that's Leonard Snart, aka Captain Cold, one of the Rogues.

Jay Garrick (cameo), a Central University professor fired for fringe science and study of the speed force.

The Flash is currently planned for a March 2018 release, so the film will likely be the next to start shooting after Justice League part 1 wraps. It'll be WB/DC's first solo film (currently on the schedule) post-Justice League. Wonder Woman premieres next summer, about half a year ahead of the team film.

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/22/the-flash-movie-reportedly-casting-now-for-these-five-characters/

6 hours ago, DocM said:

Sounds like they're mashing up with the TV series.

It'd be hard not to, with everything the TV show has shown already, at some point the movie(s) will cover the same bad guys, the difference is in the details though.  I can't wait to see how flash turns out with some big money FX behind it though, not to say the TV show doesn't do a good job with the smaller budget but you don't really get the sense of speed except for a few scenes in the tv show.  

Not that it will happen considering DC has explicitly stated that the TV and Film Universes are separate, but it would be great if there was some sort of mix between the two, even as a simple cameo, in this film.  I love the thought that the film and TV shows are all a bit multi-verse and to see TV Barry/Flash end up in the film, or movie Barry/Flash somehow end up in the TV-verse in the film would be huge.  Just my opinion.  Overall, they've done so well with the TV stuff that figuring out a way to mix them eventually would be great.  

so will they be killing off the tv show the flash? or is that a different universe or a completely different planet with flash (Grant Gustin)? DC honestly screwed up big time and are now playing catchup with Marvell. It is annoying and frustrating to see them killing off characters from the shows so they can be in the movies and all of these different worlds that might or might not mesh. They are rushing to try and catchup and its been lackluster so far. Its idiotic to me to have two different Flash characters, one for the movie and one for the show. I dunno, I guess we're spoiled by Marvell and how they created their universe (starting back 8 years ago, introducing characters properly with their own movies before having them all in one, etc).

6 hours ago, Circaflex said:

so will they be killing off the tv show the flash? or is that a different universe or a completely different planet with flash (Grant Gustin)? DC honestly screwed up big time and are now playing catchup with Marvell. It is annoying and frustrating to see them killing off characters from the shows so they can be in the movies and all of these different worlds that might or might not mesh. They are rushing to try and catchup and its been lackluster so far. Its idiotic to me to have two different Flash characters, one for the movie and one for the show. I dunno, I guess we're spoiled by Marvell and how they created their universe (starting back 8 years ago, introducing characters properly with their own movies before having them all in one, etc).

TV shows are a completely different universe from the movies, so that way they can all co-exist without issue and WB/DC/CW/CBS doesn't have to try to make everything fit.  I mean if they're in the same universe then how would they explain the fact that no one else, superman, batman, showed up in any season of Arrow or Flash on TV?

Multiverse means movies and tv don't have to worry about continuity or stepping on each others toes.      And besides even Marvel hasn't used the same characters always, I remember reading that TV daredevil isn't going to end up in any of the movies, and will probably be a different actor, so explain that one to me? 

why does dc seperate their movies from the tv series's / pull multi earth stuff etc (supergirl and flash), but marvel connects their movies with agents of shield / carter. (all in same universe)

makes dc very confusing and a bit of mess no? i'm not a fanboy of either, but i prefer marvels movies / tv shows though because they are all connected.

DC has always had a multiverse, it's nothing new, it's been a part of the comics before.  And you don't gain anything or lose anything from having your movies and tv series in the same world, really the only show that's effected by the movies is agents of shield,  daredevil and it's spinoffs don't even gain anything from, or directly contribute anything to, the main marvel movies.   They might as well be off on their own, I mean lets get real here, you have something going down like the punisher, in NYC, and the avengers don't bother to show up?  What, not big enough of a mess for them?  Or does it have to be only aliens and killer robot AIs for them to give a care, if it's just the rest of the marvel characters it's not worth their time it seems.

There's a break going on here, which doesn't work even if they're all in the same universe/world, because then where are the big heroes in the tv series when ###### hits the fan there?  Or where are the tv characters when things going crazy in NYC in the movies?   Hell, where was iron man when captain America 2 was going down and hover carriers were falling out of the sky?  No one bothered to call in backup?  Cap lost his cell phone or forgot how to use it?    The whole illusion is broken in marvel movies and tv shows at points, because it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense as to why none of the other heroes bother to show up when some city is getting trashed unless it's a specific team up movie.  

And another thing, till the Sony/Disney deal, Spiderman was off in his own world, X-men/deadpool are off in their own world/universe, so it's not all that different in the end. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, George P said:

TV shows are a completely different universe from the movies, so that way they can all co-exist without issue and WB/DC/CW/CBS doesn't have to try to make everything fit.  I mean if they're in the same universe then how would they explain the fact that no one else, superman, batman, showed up in any season of Arrow or Flash on TV?

Well, technically Flash showed up on Supergirl and Superman has been on Supergirl... sooooooooooooo yeah.  I don't know.

44 minutes ago, Innervisions33 said:

Well, technically Flash showed up on Supergirl and Superman has been on Supergirl... sooooooooooooo yeah.  I don't know.

That's where the idea of a multiverse comes in. TV's Supergirl and her cousin exist on a different Earth from Oliver and Barry,

Spoiler

Jay Garrick/Hunter Zolomon is from another Earth along with Harry Wells and his daughter

and the movies take place in a third. Having read plenty of DC comics involving a multiverse as a kid, I've grown up with the concept. It's interesting to see it utilized in mainstream media.

I kind of like it - it's better than "rebooting " a franchise, since that suggests one replacing another. The multiverse allows the different versions to exist side-by-side, with all being equally "real". I'd love if they suggested - or outright showed - that the earlier shows and movies were part of the multiverse too. It's possible - they already have John Wesley Shipp making occasional appearances as Barry's dad. Just stick him in some red longjohns and have him reprise his version of Barry Allen from the 90s!

1 hour ago, Innervisions33 said:

Superman's boots were on Supergirl.  Henry Cavill, afaik, never appeared (at least he hasn't been credited).  Flash can jump the multiverse ... but I guess not so much since he (Grant Gustin) can not be in a movie. :)

The DC Universe(s) has always left me a bit confused (I do not read comic books though).  I like how Marvel keeps things together ... like Agent Carter, Agents of Shield and the movies.  Maybe I'm just a bit overloaded with all the movies/TV shows.  /shrug

I mean, I enjoy The Flash , I tolerate Supergirl (mainly because of Melissa) though I can see myself giving up on it, I'm growing tired quickly of DC's Legends of Tomorrow...just giving it a few more tries haven't watched any Arrow (way too far back to get caught up)..though Arrow has been on The Flash.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Superman's boots were on Supergirl.  Henry Cavill, afaik, never appeared (at least he hasn't been credited).  Flash can jump the multiverse ... but I guess not so much since he (Grant Gustin) can not be in a movie. :)

Superman's boots were on Supergirl.

Well that's kind of rude . . . :laugh:

Henry Cavill may not be available if they want to maintain a separation between movie and TV initially, but there is another Superman easily available. Maybe Supergirl takes place in the "Superman Returns" universe, so they could use Brandon Routh? (Assuming it's not the Chris Reeve Superverse, but just similar to it.) He's already appearing as Ray Palmer/Atom in Arrow/Flash/Legends so why not just borrow him for an episode? Down the road a bit of course, no point in undermining Kara.

Just as long as they don't use Tom Welling . . .

11 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Just as long as they don't use Tom Welling . . .

I never did watch Smallville ... so I can not say how well Tom did portraying Clark ... but if Smallville and Supergirl are in the same DC Universe ... it might make sense to use him (if he is a good actor...I dunno).  The age difference might be good for the continuity.

I still like my idea of the team forming in the movies actually being the Justice Lords. And the various heroes from elsewhere in the Multiverse have to band together to contain their extremism . . .

Suffice to say I'm NOT impressed with what I saw in BvS.

i'm actually really enjoying legends of tomorrow followed by supergirl, but arrow seems a bit slow lately, could do without all the romance stuff and as much as i like the villian guy, decent actor, i wish they would hurry up and get rid of him...
same with the flash, the zoom thing is dragging on for my liking a bit atm, while i'll i'm on the subject of dragging on, i hope there's gonna be some epic battle soon on aos, getting tired of ward, i liked him better before he became the villian who won't die.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 11:16 AM, jjkusaf said:

I never did watch Smallville ... so I can not say how well Tom did portraying Clark ... but if Smallville and Supergirl are in the same DC Universe ... it might make sense to use him (if he is a good actor...I dunno).  The age difference might be good for the continuity.

Smallville had its own version of Kara, who was quite different from the one on Supergirl.

9 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Smallville had its own version of Kara, who was quite different from the one on Supergirl.

The actress who played the villain Indigo was actually Supergirl on smallville. A much hawter one at that. She was closer to what I would call powergirl.

From what I hear the Wonder Woman movie has already finished filming, why are they not releasing this sooner? DC is already too late to the game compared to Marvel. They should be pushing out movies as fast as possible.

27 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

From what I hear the Wonder Woman movie has already finished filming, why are they not releasing this sooner? DC is already too late to the game compared to Marvel. They should be pushing out movies as fast as possible.

There's no good spot left for this year to release it where it is able to max it's box office potential.     There's a specific reason to why movies are released when and not just when they're done.  Also, they're done filming, but the movie is in post-production, where all the nice effects and cgi and music are added etc, this process also takes time.   I think two movies a year from DC is fine, one to start and one to end the year.

• 2 weeks later...

The Flash finds its director in Dope's Rick Famuyiwa.

Warner Bros. has tapped director Rick Famuyiwa, best known for his Sundance hit, Dope, to helm the Ezra Miller-led superhero movie, The Flash.

The movie was originally supposed to be directed by Seth Grahame-Smith, who also wrote the film, but he stepped away after citing creative differences. The Flash is the newest installment in DC's cinematic universe, following Zack Snyder's disappointing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the upcoming Wonder Woman stand-alone film.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/2/11843976/the-flash-finds-its-director-in-dopes-rick-famuyiwa

Good news, it's clear the WB top brass wanted the tone of future DC movies to change, and directors didn't like being told what to do (WB has pretty much left directors alone in the past to do things the way they wanted but looks like when it comes to DC that's no longer the case after BvS).

• 2 months later...

Movie rumor maven Umberto "El Mayimbe" Gonzalez revealed during a Periscope broadcast tonight that he has learned Rick Famuyiwa's The Flash will feature not one villain, but a team of them.

One assumes that if the report at Heroic Hollywood, Gonzalez's site, is true, the first villain added to the film will be Jai Courtney, who appeared in Suicide Squad as Captain Boomerang. In the film, he was brought into custody by The Flash.

Source

The Flash Movie Villains Are Captain Cold & Golden Glider?

It wouldn't surprise me if the way WB/DC does it is to use multiple bad guys instead of just one.  While DC has a large slate of rouges it can use I don't think many of them are able to be a solo bad guy outside of a select few like the Joker for batman and reverse flash/zoom for flash.  

• 4 weeks later...