Google Chrome for Linux Saying "No Public Key"

Gerowen

So I had a strange issue today while installing Google Chrome on a Debian machine.  I kept getting an error when manually checking for updates in the terminal with "apt-get update" telling me there was no public key for something.  I started disabling 3rd party repositories and found out the problem was coming from Google Chrome's repository.  Normally the deb file from google(dot)com/chrome automagically sets up the repository, adds the public signing key, etc. so that the end user doesn't have to do anything other than install regular system updates when they're available and Chrome will get pulled in with everything else.  In this case however, for whatever reason, the deb I downloaded today (28 April 2016, Chrome version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)) didn't add the signing key.  It added the repository, but without the key my system kept warning me there was no public key available for the repository.

If you run into this issue, Google has a page set up specifically for showing you how to manually add the public signing key for your particular package manager.  You can find it here: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

I just wanted to share this little tidbit of info in case anybody else runs into this problem.  When the error first popped up in the terminal it didn't tell me "which" repository was having a problem, just that one of them was missing the public key, so I narrowed it down by manually disabling the repositories (removing the 3rd party files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d) until the error went away.

• Like 3
Mindovermaster

Very interesting.... Never heard this before.... Thanks for the link, though. :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
23 hours ago, Gerowen said:

So I had a strange issue today while installing Google Chrome on a Debian machine.  I kept getting an error when manually checking for updates in the terminal with "apt-get update" telling me there was no public key for something.  I started disabling 3rd party repositories and found out the problem was coming from Google Chrome's repository.  Normally the deb file from google(dot)com/chrome automagically sets up the repository, adds the public signing key, etc. so that the end user doesn't have to do anything other than install regular system updates when they're available and Chrome will get pulled in with everything else.  In this case however, for whatever reason, the deb I downloaded today (28 April 2016, Chrome version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)) didn't add the signing key.  It added the repository, but without the key my system kept warning me there was no public key available for the repository.

If you run into this issue, Google has a page set up specifically for showing you how to manually add the public signing key for your particular package manager.  You can find it here: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

I just wanted to share this little tidbit of info in case anybody else runs into this problem.  When the error first popped up in the terminal it didn't tell me "which" repository was having a problem, just that one of them was missing the public key, so I narrowed it down by manually disabling the repositories (removing the 3rd party files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d) until the error went away.

Man, good job. And also, I love your setup, too! (Watched your youtube vid) That's awesome! (Y)

Boo Berry

Related issue, if you're using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint 17.x, Debian Stretch, etc. You'll start encountering a warning saying gpgv:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_Release.gpg: The repository is insufficiently signed by key 4CCA1EAF950CEE4AB83976DCA040830F7FAC5991 (weak digest). This is due to the depreciation of SHA-1 and currently Google Chrome's repository is half broken because of this (as are other repos).

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=596074

Using one of these workarounds will fix it once Google fixes everything on their side (as I said, still half broken). It *should* also fix the OP's issue;

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 1397BC53640DB551

Or...

wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -

Edited by Boo Berry
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Pay What You Want for the Complete Learn to Code Certification Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted offer comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can Pay What You Want for the Complete Learn to Code Certification Bundle. A price you pick gets you 156 hours of premium coding instruction, from Python to Ruby and everything in between.

With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following courses:

Pay What You Want (as little as $1) for the unlocked course:

JavaScript Programming Complete
      Work Towards a Lucrative Career in Web Development by Building Real-World JavaScript Projects Or beat the the average price to get these as well:

Learn How To Code: Google's Go Programming Language
      Go is an open source programming language developed by Google that makes it easy to build simple, reliable, and efficient software. The Complete Python Course: Beginner to Advanced!
      Get the Complete A to Z Story on Python & Start Building Advanced Programs Fast

Learn By Example: Scala
      Master This Highly Scalable General-Purpose Language with 65 Examples

Projects in Programming Languages: Ruby, Python, Java
      Learn 3 of the Most Financially Viable Programming Languages by Solving Real-World Problems

Learn Angular 2 from Beginner to Advanced
      Use the Newest Version of this Powerful Google Framework to Build Complex Apps

How to Make a Freaking iPhone App: iOS 10 and Swift 3
      Nail Down the Development Fundamentals of the Hottest New OS

The Complete Web Developer Masterclass: Beginner To Advanced
      Become an Employable Web Developer by Learning HTML, JavaScript, Angular, NodeJS, & Much More

Git Complete Mastery & GitHub: 100% Hands-on Git Guide
      Develop a Rock Solid Foundation in Git & Start Building Programs More Efficiently

Professional Rails Code Along
      Develop a Real World Rails Project Through a Step-by-Step Process

Good to know:
      The bundle represents an overall retail value of $1,573 But you can Pay What You Want for the two unlocked courses (as little as $1) Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. Qualify for the giveaway!
      Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway - plus get featured on the Leaderboard!

Pay What You Want for the Complete Learn to Code Certification Bundle
      See other Pay What You Want deals. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By indospot
      Google Maps for electric vehicles can now plan routes around charging
      by João Carrasqueira

Having to recharge a car's battery during a long trip is one of the hurdles users still face when buying an electric car, since charging stations aren't quite as commonplace as traditional gas stations. Recently, a company called StoreDot showed off battery technology that would dramatically reduce charging times for cars, but until that technology comes to real products, Google is making it easier to plan trips with charging stops in mind. The company is rolling out new features for Google Maps, specifically the version of the app built into select electric vehicles.

For longer trips where you'll need to recharge multiple times, Google Maps can quickly go through all the public charging stations near your route, and then calculate a new route that accommodates all the necessary charging stops in the most efficient way possible. This is all done automatically, and the app also lets users know how long charging should take, adding it to the overall ETA for the trip.

On the other hand, for smaller trips that only require one charge, Google Maps will show a few options for charging, and users can select their preferred charging stop from the suggestions. To make that decision easier, Maps also includes information about nearby coffee shops or grocery stores, in case users need to grab something while they wait.

Finally, some European users are getting an exclusive feature, the ability to see the payment methods accepted at each charging station. Apparently, it's harder to find a station that will take any kind of payment option in Europe, so this feature should make it easier to plan around that. This is only available in 12 countries at this time, but more will be added over time.

All of these features are rolling out to the Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 Recharge, which run Android Automotive OS - which is different from Android Auto, a feature for Android phones to connect to car displays - and have Google Maps built in. Other car models are planned to use Android Automotive, though, and those should also have Google Maps installed.

• By Abhay V
      Google shares its view on the impact of Apple's Privacy Policy changes on its partners
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple’s new app privacy notifications and user tracking changes introduced with iOS 14 have seen mixed reception from companies that rely heavily on ad revenue. Facebook, for instance, said that the changes will affect its business adversely since the challenges with collecting identifier for advertisers (IDFA) data affects the ability to serve personalized ads for users.

Today, Google has shared its view of what the impact of the changes will be not only on its own services but also on its partners. The company says in its blog post that Apple’s upcoming App Tracking Transparency (ATT) policy will reduce the ability to gauge ad conversions, resulting in an impact on the bidding process for ad impressions. Additionally, it states that “app publishers may see a significant impact to their Google ad revenue on iOS after Apple’s ATT policies take effect”.

While the firm urges developers to upgrade to Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.64 to leverage Apple’s SKAdNetwork to better monetize their apps on iOS, it says that it is “working with the industry to give Apple feedback on how to further improve SKAdNetwork so advertisers can measure their campaign results accurately on iOS 14”. For now, the company has also laid out a few recommendations for advertisers and developers on how they can “prepare” for the changes. These include tying in with Apple's SKAdNetwork for measuring performance and “deciding” whether the ATT prompts are right for their apps.

As for Google’s own apps, the company says that it will no longer use data such as IDFA from its iOS app, which means that it will not display any privacy prompts on its apps. It adds that it is “working hard to understand and comply with Apple’s guidelines” for its apps and that it will include App Privacy details to its offerings as and when they are updated on the App Store.

• By Abhay V
      Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G users can now permanently disable Auto Night Sight
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google’s Night Sight feature for its Pixel phones provides a great way for users to capture pictures of dimly-lit subjects. With the launch of the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 4a 5G, the search giant added an Auto Night Sight option for these models, making it easier to capture dark subjects without having to manually swipe to the Night Sight mode. However, while the feature could be turned off by hitting an icon, it was not a permanent solution because it would switch back on when the camera app was re-launched.

Image credit: 9to5Google A new update to the Google Camera app now fixes that, letting users to permanently turn off the Auto Night Sight feature. Hitting the icon with the moon and an “A” to toggle the feature on or off is now remembered by the app, even if it is force shut or restarted. This allows for the user to manually enable the feature only when necessary, preventing any unwanted long exposure shots that would result in the inability to shoot pictures in quick succession. While the change is small, it will be a welcome addition for those who prefer to have greater control when clicking pictures.

Additionally, the company is also tweaking the options for the “Flash” settings accessed from the top of the screen. It now offers three options; letting users choose between using the Flash, Night Sight, or completely turning off both the features. The consolidated settings item is now termed “More Light”. This change for the two new Pixel devices comes a month after the firm disabled astrophotography on its ultra-wide lenses.

The Auto Night Sight changes are now rolling out to users running Google Camera version 8.1.200 on Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 phones. Though the update has been made available starting January 25, it could be a while before the app is served to all users.

Source: 9to5Google

• By zikalify
      Google has open-sourced Tilt Brush as development stops
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it’s ceasing active development of Tilt Brush and making the software open source over on GitHub meaning you can look at the source code, fork the project, and make your own Tilt Brush-based software. Despite active development ending, Google said that it’ll always be available in digital stores for supported VR headsets.

Google’s Tilt Brush first launched on SteamVR back in April 2016 and has since made its way to Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality, Valve Index, PlayStation VR, and Oculus VR headsets. It has won several awards and even featured on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

The code that has been made open-source on GitHub has been changed slightly due to licensing restrictions but you can add most of those things back in by following the build guide. Despite this, the code that Google has made publicly available will compile a working version of the software once you’ve added the SteamVR Unity software development kit (SDK).

Tilt Brush Program Manager Jon Corralejo said that he’s excited to see what the community will build using the newly available source code and that he’s proud of the things Tilt Brush has achieved since its launch almost five years ago.