Google Chrome for Linux Saying "No Public Key"

Gerowen

So I had a strange issue today while installing Google Chrome on a Debian machine.  I kept getting an error when manually checking for updates in the terminal with "apt-get update" telling me there was no public key for something.  I started disabling 3rd party repositories and found out the problem was coming from Google Chrome's repository.  Normally the deb file from google(dot)com/chrome automagically sets up the repository, adds the public signing key, etc. so that the end user doesn't have to do anything other than install regular system updates when they're available and Chrome will get pulled in with everything else.  In this case however, for whatever reason, the deb I downloaded today (28 April 2016, Chrome version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)) didn't add the signing key.  It added the repository, but without the key my system kept warning me there was no public key available for the repository.

If you run into this issue, Google has a page set up specifically for showing you how to manually add the public signing key for your particular package manager.  You can find it here: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

I just wanted to share this little tidbit of info in case anybody else runs into this problem.  When the error first popped up in the terminal it didn't tell me "which" repository was having a problem, just that one of them was missing the public key, so I narrowed it down by manually disabling the repositories (removing the 3rd party files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d) until the error went away.

• Like 3
Mindovermaster

Very interesting.... Never heard this before.... Thanks for the link, though. :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
23 hours ago, Gerowen said:

So I had a strange issue today while installing Google Chrome on a Debian machine.  I kept getting an error when manually checking for updates in the terminal with "apt-get update" telling me there was no public key for something.  I started disabling 3rd party repositories and found out the problem was coming from Google Chrome's repository.  Normally the deb file from google(dot)com/chrome automagically sets up the repository, adds the public signing key, etc. so that the end user doesn't have to do anything other than install regular system updates when they're available and Chrome will get pulled in with everything else.  In this case however, for whatever reason, the deb I downloaded today (28 April 2016, Chrome version 50.0.2661.86 (64-bit)) didn't add the signing key.  It added the repository, but without the key my system kept warning me there was no public key available for the repository.

If you run into this issue, Google has a page set up specifically for showing you how to manually add the public signing key for your particular package manager.  You can find it here: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/

I just wanted to share this little tidbit of info in case anybody else runs into this problem.  When the error first popped up in the terminal it didn't tell me "which" repository was having a problem, just that one of them was missing the public key, so I narrowed it down by manually disabling the repositories (removing the 3rd party files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d) until the error went away.

Man, good job. And also, I love your setup, too! (Watched your youtube vid) That's awesome! (Y)

Boo Berry

Related issue, if you're using Ubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint 17.x, Debian Stretch, etc. You'll start encountering a warning saying gpgv:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_Release.gpg: The repository is insufficiently signed by key 4CCA1EAF950CEE4AB83976DCA040830F7FAC5991 (weak digest). This is due to the depreciation of SHA-1 and currently Google Chrome's repository is half broken because of this (as are other repos).

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=596074

Using one of these workarounds will fix it once Google fixes everything on their side (as I said, still half broken). It *should* also fix the OP's issue;

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 1397BC53640DB551

Or...

wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -

Edited by Boo Berry
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Google has open-sourced Tilt Brush as development stops
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it’s ceasing active development of Tilt Brush and making the software open source over on GitHub meaning you can look at the source code, fork the project, and make your own Tilt Brush-based software. Despite active development ending, Google said that it’ll always be available in digital stores for supported VR headsets.

Google’s Tilt Brush first launched on SteamVR back in April 2016 and has since made its way to Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality, Valve Index, PlayStation VR, and Oculus VR headsets. It has won several awards and even featured on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

The code that has been made open-source on GitHub has been changed slightly due to licensing restrictions but you can add most of those things back in by following the build guide. Despite this, the code that Google has made publicly available will compile a working version of the software once you’ve added the SteamVR Unity software development kit (SDK).

Tilt Brush Program Manager Jon Corralejo said that he’s excited to see what the community will build using the newly available source code and that he’s proud of the things Tilt Brush has achieved since its launch almost five years ago.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Chrome OS 88 introduces password-less sign-in for some websites
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google announced today a new feature in the recently released Chrome OS 88 that enables a faster sign-in experience with some websites. The new capability is courtesy of Google's new Web Authentication (WebAuthn) feature that was rolled out to Android devices back in 2019.

The feature allows you to sign in to a website that supports WebAuthn without using the password you've created for that site. Instead, you can simply use the PIN or your fingerprint that you use to sign in to your Chromebook in order to log in to supported websites including Dropbox, GitHub, or Okta. You will also see a prompt asking you to enable WebAuthn the next time you sign in.

In addition, if you use two-step verification to log in, you can use your Chrome OS PIN or fingerprint as the second factor as well. That means you won't need a security key or your smartphone for authentication.

Aside from the faster web sign-in experience, Chrome OS now lets you personalize your lock screen, too. You can use your Google Photos album or choose images from the art gallery as your screen saver. Additionally, your Chrome OS lock screen can display weather updates and music that's currently playing, along with options to pause or skip songs directly from that screen. To personalize your screen saver, you can simply head over to your Chrome OS Settings menu and go to Personalization.

• By indospot
      Stadia Pro adds Journey to the Savage Planet and Enter the Gungeon in February
      by João Carrasqueira

February is just around the corner, and as such, Google has revealed the new lineup of titles that's being added to the Stadia Pro subscription next month. As usual, these games can be claimed at no additional cost, and you can play them as long as you keep your subscription, even after they're no longer available to claim for other users.

In February, three new games are joining the roster. Perhaps the most notable of them is Journey to the Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition. It's notable because this is an expanded version of the game that was originally released on other platforms, and the developer, Typhoon Studios, was acquired by Google's Stadia Games and Entertainment division back in 2019. Presumably, this edition will remain exclusive to Google's platform. You can watch the launch trailer below.

Aside from that, critically-acclaimed procedurally-generated shooter Enter the Gungeon is also being added, an indie title published by Devolver Digital. Lastly, there's Square Enix's Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, developed by Crystal Dynamics.

These games will be available on February 1, but before that, you may want to claim the games that are leaving the service at the end of January. Right now, you can still get The Gardens Between, Hello Neighbor: Hide & Seek, HITMAN 2, Sniper Elite 4, Into the Breach, and Panzer Dragoon Remake at no additional cost, but only until January 31. Again, if you claim them now, you can play them as long as you have Stadia Pro.

There are also some new games available to buy this week on Stadia, including Phoenix Point (January 26), Madden NFL 21 (January 28), TOHU (January 28), and Gods Will Fall (January 29). Madden NFL 21 will also be free to play this weekend if you have Stadia Pro.

• By Rich Woods
      Motorola launches the Edge S in China with a Snapdragon 870
      by Rich Woods

Today, Motorola is introducing the Edge S in China, and the device is the first to use Qualcomm's recently-announced Snapdragon 870 chipset. If you're unfamiliar with the Snapdragon 870, it's just an overclocked (to 3.2GHz) Snapdragon 865+ that's really aiming at budget flagship PCs, rather than competing with the new Snapdragon 888.

The device has a 6.7-inch 90Hz 2520x1080 display, similar to the rest of the Edge family; however, it's just a regular IPS LCD, not an OLED display. In the display are two hole-punch cut-outs for the 16MP main and 8MP ultra-wide front-facing cameras.

As for the rear camera, it has a 64MP f/1.7 main sensor that can capture 6K video at 30fps or 4K video at 60fps, a 16MP ultra-wide lens, a 2MP depth sensor, and a ToF sensor.

The battery is an impressive 5,000mAh, and it comes with up to 8GB RAM and up to 256GB UFS 3.1 storage. As for charging, Motorola is still shipping a 20W charger. Naturally, the handset keeps the 3.5mm audio jack, something that the Lenovo-owned firm boasted about the original Edge series.

As for when it's going to hit markets outside of China, that's somewhat unclear, but according to Evan Blass, it will actually be part of the Moto G lineup as the Moto G100.

Source: Lenovo

• By indospot
      Google Lens now supports offline translation in beta
      by João Carrasqueira

As more and more services are based on the cloud, it's always nice to see when something that typically requires an internet connection becomes accessible offline. Google has long offered support for offline translations in Google Translate, and even delivered some major improvements to it about a year ago, and today, it's bringing that capability to Google Lens.

First spotted by 9to5Google, the Mountain View giant appears to be rolling out a new feature for the translation section of Google Lens, which is accessible through the Google app on Android. Now, it's possible to download language packs to use offline, so even if you don't have an internet connection, you can point the camera at a piece of text and have it translated instantly, even without pressing the shutter button. That should be particularly useful for traveling without a data plan.

Image credit: 9to5Google Of course, downloading language packs will take up space on your phone's storage, and it's also very common for offline translations to not be as accurate as online services, simply because the databases and intelligence behind the translation process are updated more often on the server side. It's also a bit more limited because, while you can copy the entire text you're looking at, you can't select specific words or phrases directly on the image, which you can do when you're connected. It's also worth noting that not every language supports offline translations.

According to 9to5Google, the update is rolling out through a server-side update, though it reports that only devices running beta versions of the Google app have received it right now. We haven't been able to spot the update on our test devices regardless of using beta or stable versions, so your mileage may vary. Either way, the feature should be making its way to more users over time.