29 minutes ago, warwagon said:

No excuse. Back in the day, Doom was even ported to the kitchen sink.

:/

Well I ended up pre-ordering the game. Will play it this weekend, hopefully.

31 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Interesting, I stopped after Shadow Quality, but it looks like PC > PS4 > X1 in terms of graphics. (Note, I understand graphics dont make a game, but generally Doom has incorporated a lot of new visuals and technologies that do make the game immersive and fun).

Trying so damn hard not to check it out until I beat Uncharted 4 (On Chapter 19 of it), but it is damn near impossible to do so. DOOM is back!!!

So yeah, I think I am have to going to check it out sooner rather than later, but will definitely have tried it by end of the weekend.

Bought it last night - and all I can say is daaaaauuuuummmm its nice.

Grfx are great - gameplay is smooth as glass, gore is insane - great game.

Havent played MP yet - 

Such a fun game! Fast paced, smooth and so much blood! Just what I wanted in a new Doom game and they delivered. It doesn't really have anything new on offer in terms of gameplay but none of that matters when a game is this enjoyable to play

3 hours ago, heslo said:

Such a fun game! Fast paced, smooth and so much blood! Just what I wanted in a new Doom game and they delivered. It doesn't really have anything new on offer in terms of gameplay but none of that matters when a game is this enjoyable to play

EXACTLY.  It is still creepy, walking into a room and carnage and blood dripping from the ceiling, body parts everywhere - demons spawning from pentagrams - awesome stuff - great story line too.

Nice avatar - (used to have a R35)

They knocked it out of the park IMO.

It's quintessentially Doom, a feat I didn't think possible over 20 years later.

The remastered soundtracks are unbelievably awesome too.

4 hours ago, T3X4S said:

EXACTLY.  It is still creepy, walking into a room and carnage and blood dripping from the ceiling, body parts everywhere - demons spawning from pentagrams - awesome stuff - great story line too.

Nice avatar - (used to have a R35)

Nice! Extremely jealous! My 33GTR's had a bit (well, really, a lot) of work done to it but I'd still love a 35

Got to play a decent amount over the weekend. This game is fantastic. It truly is. I am only commenting on the SP thus far, but it is damn near perfect imho. I feel they did a fantastic job of taking Doom and modernizing it, yet still sticking to the roots of the game itself. Those who wanted Doom or Doom 2 released almost 20+ years later are sure to be disappointed because the game is definitely not that. But all of the elements are there from the previous games. Just modernized.

Not only the above, but any FPS, and I truly do mean any, that incorporates a weapon wheel is always going to get my approval. If you have all of these guns, let me use them whenever I please. Do not limit me to carrying two at a time.

I also feel like the Level layout in SP is really well done as well. Allows for multiple ways to tackle one level. 

The last thing I will say is if you are playing, do yourself a favor and get the one upgrade that allows for secrets in a level to show up on the compass. I was missing a ton of secrets and I was looking for them, but once I did that upgrade, it is now much easier to locate secrets, and the thing I really like is they only let you know a secret is there. It still takes some exploration to figure out how to get to it.

I would say a 9 out of 10 for myself just based on the SP so far.

I posted a week or two back that this was possibly going to be the single best month in gaming for myself, and right now I am 2 for 2.

This past week has been the best two back to back releases I can recall. Between this and Uncharted 4 they both take care of pretty much everything I love about gaming.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

Got to play a decent amount over the weekend. This game is fantastic. It truly is. I am only commenting on the SP thus far, but it is damn near perfect imho. I feel they did a fantastic job of taking Doom and modernizing it, yet still sticking to the roots of the game itself. Those who wanted Doom or Doom 2 released almost 20+ years later are sure to be disappointed because the game is definitely not that. But all of the elements are there from the previous games. Just modernized.

Not only the above, but any FPS, and I truly do mean any, that incorporates a weapon wheel is always going to get my approval. If you have all of these guns, let me use them whenever I please. Do not limit me to carrying two at a time.

I also feel like the Level layout in SP is really well done as well. Allows for multiple ways to tackle one level. 

The last thing I will say is if you are playing, do yourself a favor and get the one upgrade that allows for secrets in a level to show up on the compass. I was missing a ton of secrets and I was looking for them, but once I did that upgrade, it is now much easier to locate secrets, and the thing I really like is they only let you know a secret is there. It still takes some exploration to figure out how to get to it.

I would say a 9 out of 10 for myself just based on the SP so far.

I posted a week or two back that this was possibly going to be the single best month in gaming for myself, and right now I am 2 for 2.

This past week has been the best two back to back releases I can recall. Between this and Uncharted 4 they both take care of pretty much everything I love about gaming.

Still waiting for UK retail price to tank but hearing many good things. Was a bit worried with the daft review embargo.

18 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Still waiting for UK retail price to tank but hearing many good things. Was a bit worried with the daft review embargo.

Yeah the only thing I can think of with the embargo is they were worried some outlets were just not going to "get it," and based on some of the reviews I have read I do think they had reason to be worried. I would say it is more of an old school shooter than a new school one, even though they have modernized it. Basically they stuck to the formula that made the newer Wolfenstein games so much fun. At the end of the day it really is just about shooting ###### and exploring a little. There is a story but it is just there to move things along. Hardly has any depth, etc.

It is a First Person Shooter in every sense.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DirtyLarry said:

Yeah the only thing I can think of with the embargo is they were worried some outlets were just not going to "get it," and based on some of the reviews I have read I do think they had reason to be worried. I would say it is more of an old school shooter than a new school one, even though they have modernized it. Basically they stuck to the formula that made the newer Wolfenstein games so much fun. At the end of the day it really is just about shooting ###### and exploring a little. There is a story but it is just there to move things along. Hardly has any depth, etc.

It is a First Person Shooter in every sense.

Wolfenstein done really well though and got a lot of praise! Although I hear what you're saying, the Polygon infamous DOOM gif of not knowing how to use twin sticks is doing the rounds.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:59 AM, Circaflex said:

Interesting, I stopped after Shadow Quality, but it looks like PC > PS4 > X1 in terms of graphics. (Note, I understand graphics dont make a game, but generally Doom has incorporated a lot of new visuals and technologies that do make the game immersive and fun).

Despite the degradation, without these things being put side by side the gameplay is extremely consistent and so are the visuals across all three platforms. The biggest difference I noticed was lighting at farther distances and shadow resolution. I am sure if you looked between PC and either console you could tell but between X1 and PS4 it's very close. To me, even if there's a difference the fact that these games weren't just crappily downgraded and ported to the console (or vice versa from console to PC) is what I come to expect from AAA games. I have half a mind to buy this game merely because the developers handled it flawlessly and I want to support that practice (as opposed to Activision, Ubisoft and EA constantly releasing broken games that function poorly on at least one platform if not all of them).

So what is the equivalent console graphics mode on PC?  Something below 'medium'?

I'm enjoying it so far, though my love of the SP is offset by my hatred of NO ROCKET JUMPING in MP.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:35 PM, Dashel said:

So what is the equivalent console graphics mode on PC?  Something below 'medium'?

I'm enjoying it so far, though my love of the SP is offset by my hatred of NO ROCKET JUMPING in MP.

No idea - what I find rather amazing is that this version is actually playable (albeit at either low or medium) on portables/AIOs - who actually expected that?  However, there IS a lot of "Hateraid drankin" over that fact, too (along with a lot of outright BS-spreadin over the real requirements being so low.  The hard part to swallow is the price - not the game requirements on PC.

While it is a tech analysis video, they do also discuss gameplay, and I 110% agree with everything said.
"Fresh yet familiar" is a perfect summary of this game.

only played for 20 mins or so when i had time but love it so far

got it on PS4 and for £36 cant complain lol

Im towards the end of the SP campaign (I think)

It has been awesome - might be the best SP experience since Halo... better if you consider the gore/creepy aspect of it.

Doom for Win95 was my first multiplayer experience!    IDKFA!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent single player. Short though.

Needs a prequel with tougher bosses and a lot more enemies on screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

We hope you’ve been enjoying your time playing DOOM! It’s been less than a month since launch, but the team at id Software has been hard at work preparing to deploy DOOM’s next game update, which will arrive later this month.

In the meantime, today we are releasing a multiplayer improvement update for DOOM. This includes rebalancing of some multiplayer weapons based on your feedback: the Chaingun, Rocket Launcher, and Combat Shotgun. This update will also reduce the wait time between matches to 60 seconds. Last but not least, Clan Arena and Freeze Tag will now require the winning team to complete 5 rounds in order to win the match. The multiplayer improvement update will begin today at 10:30 ET —this is a server-side update, and will not require a download, though it will require a server outage, which we anticipate will be about an hour. As always, we appreciate your feedback and we hope you’ll continue to let us know your thoughts.

For DOOM’s next game update, we will be releasing the patch notes later this month, which will include several improvements and features. We thought it was important to share some of those improvements with you now:

• Added Photo Mode for taking in-game screenshots
  • Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (1st person view option)
  • Added new Snapmap features (including skybox windows) and AI pathing and logic fixes.
  • Fixed various bugs including players accidentally triggering Dev Mode and Trophy/Achievement bugs (IDKFA, Every Nook and Cranny).

These are just a few of the improvements and fixes coming later this month, but we wanted to provide an update as soon as we could. Thank you all for your continued support. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope you’re enjoying your time in-game and we can’t wait to share more with you soon.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/23941