Jeremy Clarkson's Amazon show to be called The Grand Tour

Jeremy Clarkson's Amazon show to be called The Grand Tour

Top Gear rival, which is also presented by Richard Hammond and James May, will be broadcast in the autumn

Amazon’s new motoring show starring Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May will be called The Grand Tour.

The show is set to debut this autumn on Amazon’s video service. It is not yet clear whether all the episodes will be released in one go, as Amazon and rival Netflix have done with many of their drama series, or follow a more traditional scheduled pattern.

Early reports had suggested the show might be called Gear Knobs, but in April Clarkson claimed the BBC had a legal right to stop the new show using the word “gear” in the title. 

Clarkson released a video of the trio brainstorming spoof names for the programme, including Auto-mates, Tripod, and the more simple The Clarkson, Hammond and May Car Show.

Amazon is paying £160m for three series of the show, which is being made by a production company set up by the three former Top Gear presenters and long-time producer Andy Wilman called W Chump & Sons.

The streaming service’s European video boss told the Guardian last month that the trio were “worth big money”.

The unveiling of the show’s name comes just weeks before the BBC is due to laiunch the new series of Top Gear fronted by Chris Evans, along with co-presenters including former Friends star Matt LeBlanc. 

The show has been beset by reports of production problems including controversy over filming near London’s Cenotaph memorial and allegations Evans is a bully.

However, Evans and the BBC have both denied there is friction among the cast.

Source: The Guardian

So if the BBC could stop it from having "Gear" in the title, how did Channel 5 get away with Fifth Gear? Or is it just because the BBC never took action against them?

I just can't bring myself to watch anything with Evans in it.  On the radio he is sufferable, but his TV work is sycophantic, self-indulgent, nepotistic and reeks of "I'm still hip with the kids" nonsense.  Also, I guarantee he will make "jokey" comments akin to "oh I used to be a hell raiser but now I'm on the beeb I better behave myself" - when the reality is he groomed an underage girl with lavish gifts and sometimes called in sick because he had a drinking problem.

The Top Gear 3, on the other hand are a bunch of prats who I love to watch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zoom7000 said:

So if the BBC could stop it from having "Gear" in the title, how did Channel 5 get away with Fifth Gear? Or is it just because the BBC never took action against them?

They maybe have different contracts seeing as that came out so long ago.

"The Grand Tour was the traditional trip of Europe undertaken by mainly upper-class European young men of means, or those of more humble origin who could find a sponsor."

Though it sounded like a cycling show when I first heard it.

Just now, tsupersonic said:

I can't wait! 

Nice avatar ;)

I'm looking forward to this so much more than than that smug git Chris Evans each week. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sagum said:

Still think they should have called it The Best British Car Show.

Thats pretty funny!:D

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I've been seeing a lot of those corvettes around recently. Bunch of older aged men driving them. Go figure.

I think that has to do with a combination of cost and it being a two seater with limited space. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some highlights:

12 episodes about 1 hour each

Traveling tent for the "studio"

May broke his shoulder the day before filming (stumbling out of a bar)

Filming of Season 2 will start "immediately" ... after the tent stuff is done (which they are doing now)

Anyway ... entertaining interview

• Like 2