Jeremy Clarkson's Amazon show to be called The Grand Tour

Fantastic episode, much better than episode 2. The bit where they knock Jeremy's house down reminded me of that episode when they were called in Albania to knock down a house. And btw, that Romanian word he's referring to is "înapoi". :)

hmm just watched it and tbh outwith the road trip the rest was meh for me. It aint doing it for me sadly, far too predictable (even for them)

at least that daft mouthy american driver wasnt on, a bonus :p 

same old tired guff, the oh look <insert star here> is now dead was funny 1st episode, now its just painful to watch.

I think im done with it........sad but true :(

The second episode was a steaming pile of crap.  Hopefully they pick it up in this new one.  They seem to have really pushed the American "humour" in the show, which sucks, because I don't find stuff out of the US all that funny.

21 minutes ago, Nashy said:

The second episode was a steaming pile of crap.  Hopefully they pick it up in this new one.  They seem to have really pushed the American "humour" in the show, which sucks, because I don't find stuff out of the US all that funny.

agreed, and tbh apart from the road trip, the 3rd ep (for me anyway) wasnt that much better. 

I think I read that the 2nd episode was actually the first one they filmed.  So they were probably still getting their feet wet with everything.

Do we know how many crew members came from the old Top Gear?  If it's not many... then the whole production team has a lot of catching up to do.

You can't take three presenters and stick them in the middle of hundreds of brand new crew members and expect it to be the same as the last 17 years of Top Gear  :) 

15 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

I think I read that the 2nd episode was actually the first one they filmed.  So they were probably still getting their feet wet with everything.

Do we know how many crew members came from the old Top Gear?  If it's not many... then the whole production team has a lot of catching up to do.

You can't take three presenters and stick them in the middle of hundreds of brand new crew members and expect it to be the same as the last 17 years of Top Gear  :) 

Andy Wilman (their producer) went with them to Amazon buddy, not sure who else did.

Clarkson also wrote in his column for The Sun: "To make what will be a seriously well-funded, British-based show with no commercial breaks and, better still, no editorial pressure from on high.

"Amazon has been delightfully clear on that. 'Just make the show you wanna make, guys.' Music to my ears."

If that is how it panned out, then finger of blame has to point to our beloved trio.

I get where your coming from, but I would expect the three of them to be themselves and be natural instead of clearly forced scripted scenes, thats down to themselves, and IMO their humour has been Americanised and it doesn't work quite as well. none of the new features even raise i smile with myself, and im a huge fan of the gormless twits :) but I want to shout at the TV at them to sort their nonsense out, be yourself man!

I miss them commenting on new cars round the coffee table, the new stuff is just woeful. Its like watching your dad and his 2 best mates trying to moonwalk or dance to dance music at a family party.

I dont expect it to be the old TG, it isnt, but I did hope their friendship and interactions between each other to stay somewhat the same, and its not sadly :( the canned laughter is painful, they need to bin the tent section and all it contains imo, Hammond just came across as an annoying moron in episode 3, I actually felt the same as James May did in the VT.

I really hope it improves as we are only 3 episodes in, but tbh I caught the Burma special this morning on Dave (yet again) and the new GT aint even same league as previous iterations. when you watch any old TG then watch this you realise just how poor this GT is.

Edited by Mando

1 hour ago, Mando said:

Andy Wilman (their producer) went with them to Amazon buddy, not sure who else did.

If that is how it panned out, then finger of blame has to point to our beloved trio.

I get where your coming from, but I would expect the three of them to be themselves and be natural instead of clearly forced scripted scenes, thats down to themselves, and IMO their humour has been Americanised and it doesn't work quite as well. none of the new features even raise i smile with myself, and im a huge fan of the gormless twits :) but I want to shout at the TV at them to sort their nonsense out, be yourself man!

I miss them commenting on new cars round the coffee table, the new stuff is just woeful. Its like watching your dad and his 2 best mates trying to moonwalk or dance to dance music at a family party.

I dont expect it to be the old TG, it isnt, but I did hope their friendship and interactions between each other to stay somewhat the same, and its not sadly :( the canned laughter is painful, they need to bin the tent section and all it contains imo, Hammond just came across as an annoying moron in episode 3, I actually felt the same as James May did in the VT.

I really hope it improves as we are only 3 episodes in, but tbh I caught the Burma special this morning on Dave (yet again) and the new GT aint even same league as previous iterations. when you watch any old TG then watch this you realise just how poor this GT is.

LOL @ the quote in bold part. ^

Episode 1: Not bad.

Episode 2: Terrible.

Episode 3: Not bad.  I like the house explosion.

Episode 4: ? (Hope they will do better.)

If they are not improving, then the show may not last long like they did with Top Gear.

4 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

LOL @ the quote in bold part. ^

Episode 1: Not bad.

Episode 2: Terrible.

Episode 3: Not bad.  I like the house explosion.

Episode 4: ? (Hope they will do better.)

If they are not improving, then the show may not last long like they did with Top Gear.

heheh its true though :) and yep agree with the synopsis of each episode. 

7 hours ago, Mando said:

Cool... thanks!

You guys seem to be under the impression that TG wasn't scripted.  It was, almost every part of it was completely scripted, with only a small amount of ad-libbing going on (which is usually what got them into trouble).

I agree the tent scenes aren't not on par with the old TG studio segments, but the road trip was pretty much what they always did except that it was usually Jezza being the clown.

4 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You guys seem to be under the impression that TG wasn't scripted.  It was, almost every part of it was completely scripted, with only a small amount of ad-libbing going on (which is usually what got them into trouble).

I agree the tent scenes aren't not on par with the old TG studio segments, but the road trip was pretty much what they always did except that it was usually Jezza being the clown.

Pretty obviously scripted, but still very entertaining. The second episode was my least favorite so far...The third episode I like - the road trips are always fun to watch! Fun cars, nice destinations, and three clowns, what's not to like?

My first exposure to Top Gear was when it aired on Discovery channel, and it was the first race - Clarkson in a DB9 vs. May/Hammond on the French TGV. Instantly hooked, and this was back 11 years ago!

ep 4 almost as good as ep3 started well, I even laughed out loud once or twice to begin with...... then oh look jimmy carr on the water wonder if he will die......rinse and repeat <sigh> thats going to be in every episode.....Also i stopped paying attention halfway thru the enviro race thing, utter tripe to me tbh. They seem to be making out they are all stupid (more than they are) its just so cringeworthy false.

another wee mini-joke about using immigrants for menial tasks in a car, Clarkson is an unfunny ###### when he starts that, an un-likeable one now verging on being racist (for me).

the sections with features & cars are very good, its the rest that let it down for me.

I think im finally done with him and the series.....im shocked ive come to that conclusion tbh. Its a gap thatll be hard to fill.

It doesnt really hit the spot.

:( 

Edited by Mando

On 12/5/2016 at 2:18 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Nah I appreciate that mate, but the scripted stuff on beeb was at least natural and amusing for the most part, this is woefully scripted, well below their previous form.  The road trip parts are the only saving grace, but is that enoug for me to keep watching? I dontthink so, unless i skip the tent bits I suppose :)

Its like they dont have to try, being judge and jury on their own stuff, and the money thrown at them making it not worth an effort on their part.

The Grand Tour may be the most pirated TV show...ever.

The Grand Tour is the most illegally downloaded TV show in history

New figures suggest piracy of the Amazon Prime programme has outpaced the likes of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

With an alleged $250 million price tag, Amazon Prime was surely hoping The Grand Tour would offer a major boost to subscriptions, helping to secure its place as a major competitor to the likes of Netflix. 

And though the series' first episode became the most-watched premiere on Amazon Prime, its plans may have somewhat backfired elsewhere, with the show breaking a rather unwanted record in the process.

The Mail on Sunday has shared a report by Muso, data analysts for the piracy market, which suggest that The Grand Tour has become the most illegally downloaded television show in history; somehow beating the likes of Game of Thrones, Westworld, and The Walking Dead. 

The findings claim the first episode was downloaded illegally 7.9 million times, the second 6.4 million times, and the third 4.6 million times; with British viewers making up the largest percentage (13.7%) of the illegal downloads. Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (via Fortune) estimates that Amazon currently has 63 million Prime users, an increase of 19 million from last June. 

/snip

Full article at Independent

On 12/10/2016 at 6:48 AM, Mando said:

ep 4 almost as good as ep3 started well, I even laughed out loud once or twice to begin with...... then oh look jimmy carr on the water wonder if he will die......rinse and repeat <sigh> thats going to be in every episode.....Also i stopped paying attention halfway thru the enviro race thing, utter tripe to me tbh. They seem to be making out they are all stupid (more than they are) its just so cringeworthy false.

another wee mini-joke about using immigrants for menial tasks in a car, Clarkson is an unfunny ###### when he starts that, an un-likeable one now verging on being racist (for me).

the sections with features & cars are very good, its the rest that let it down for me.

I think im finally done with him and the series.....im shocked ive come to that conclusion tbh. Its a gap thatll be hard to fill.

It doesnt really hit the spot.

:( 

The three cars with man made bodies are lame. I mean the ones with mud, wood/flowers, bones.  

Seems that the show is childish for that crap. Including the celebrity death jokes.

If they remove childish stuff out, i will consider to come back and see. Otherwise, forget them. 

All i want is that they talk about cars, car reviews, car trips, etc.  I don't care about celebrity jokes.. unless they have the celebrity to race the time and see who is fastest like they did in TG.

I don't think I will watch the 5th episode. 

16 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

The three cars with man made bodies are lame. I mean the ones with mud, wood/flowers, bones.  

Seems that the show is childish for that crap. Including the celebrity death jokes.

If they remove childish stuff out, i will consider to come back and see. Otherwise, forget them. 

All i want is that they talk about cars, car reviews, car trips, etc.  I don't care about celebrity jokes.. unless they have the celebrity to race the time and see who is fastest like they did in TG.

I believe you have the wrong idea of what the show is about. It isn't Top Gear, nor is it strictly car reviews. 

I thought the eco cars were hilarious. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2016 at 2:27 AM, TAZMINATOR said:

They're not allowed to have celeb lap times, that's why they do the dead celeb thing. It's a poke in the eye of the BBC for not letting them do celeb lap times.

As for the rest, since Clarkson brought it back, Top Gear was -always- far more about 3 middle aged men farting around with cars than it was about the cars themselves.  The only difference here is that, in TG, they seemed more natural about it.  I don't like that they've portrayed Hammond as the yob (that's Clarkson), and May as the idiot (that's Hammond). but hopefully things will settle down.

It always takes a little while for a new show to find its feet.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They're not allowed to have celeb lap times, that's why they do the dead celeb thing. It's a poke in the eye of the BBC for not letting them do celeb lap times.

Which was hilarious in the first episode...meh in the second and now just annoying. I get that it was a poke at the BBC, but it's just boring now. It's not adding, value they should just use that spot for more content elsewhere.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:57 AM, jjkusaf said:

The Grand Tour may be the most pirated TV show...ever  in the world.

Fully agreed. The only thing I do like about Celebrity Brain Crash is the sting. Here's hoping they won't carry over this segment to Season 2. 

On 12/12/2016 at 2:44 AM, adrynalyne said:

I believe you have the wrong idea of what the show is about. It isn't Top Gear, nor is it strictly car reviews. 

I thought the eco cars were hilarious. 

Phew, I was beginning to think I was alone in here on that one for a moment.

Despite some of it's short comings, I have laughed out loud more times than I can count already. Maybe that's just my inner childishness wanting to break out. 

• Like 3