• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New Headlight - I CAN SEE !

Recommended Posts

T3X4S    4,532

One of the headlight assemblies on my car filled with condensation, blew out the HID bulb.. and of course, the local Infiniti dealership wanted $1500 to replace... 

I laughed, and decided I would try it on my own.

Found the headlight assembly online for $280.
Bought (2) OSRAM  5500K CB HID bulbs for $80

And after 6 hours yesterday - here are the results:
Capture.JPG

 

Now the new Kelvin rating matches the LED fog/running lights perfectly - pretty happy with myself.

But Im sticking with computers - so much easier than car maintenance :/

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Gary7    7,372

I have an Acura 3.2TL and I feel your pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sc302    1,725
16 hours ago, T3X4S said:

One of the headlight assemblies on my car filled with condensation, blew out the HID bulb.. and of course, the local Infiniti dealership wanted $1500 to replace... 

I laughed, and decided I would try it on my own.

Found the headlight assembly online for $280.
Bought (2) OSRAM  5500K CB HID bulbs for $80

And after 6 hours yesterday - here are the results:
Capture.JPG

 

Now the new Kelvin rating matches the LED fog/running lights perfectly - pretty happy with myself.

But Im sticking with computers - so much easier than car maintenance :/

 

 

 

It really depends on the car....Japanese/luxury cars they like to make it especially difficult almost to where you need to be a contortionist to be able to get to things. 

 

Sometimes I really wish my arm could bend about 3 more times to get to the things in those cars.  They really like to put things in cavities where your arms can't reach without a lot of disassembly or completely ripping things out.  I remember a late ford probe (96) 4cyl....they put the oil filter against the firewall half way up the engine.  It takes a special kind of idiot to do that but an even more special kind of idiot to run a brand new car for 18k miles without changing the oil, oil filter was basically welded to the motor being that the owner had no pedal control (off or on). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,119

Can you link those bulbs? It doesn't look ricey blue does it?

 

My 4500s are bright but this looks clean. Any before and afters to compare OEM to these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,532
8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Can you link those bulbs? It doesn't look ricey blue does it?

 

My 4500s are bright but this looks clean. Any before and afters to compare OEM to these?

Here is the link, they are called OSRAM CBI 5500K - mine took bulb model D2S.

Capture.JPG

It doesnt look ricey or, what I call "mexican HID" - that nasty blue $20 wannabe crap that is annoying to every driver on the road.
(not being derogatory to hispanics - but tthats who you see doing it 95% of the time.

The main thing I wanted was to match my LEDs & to look OEM, but better and brighter - these are considered one of the best brands on the market if you want an OEM, nice look (no rice/cheese) (what the infiniti forums and amazon said)

My main concern was exactly like yours - I dont want that cheap crap - I want it to look exactly like a new luxury car... or as close as I can with my headlight assembly.

You definitely want to do both at the same time since HID fade over time.

So - see what part you need - and find it in the OSRAM CBI 5500K

Anything over 5500K starts to get blue-ish

Im sorry I dont have before & after shots

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,119
17 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Here is the link, they are called OSRAM CBI 5500K - mine took bulb model D2S.

Capture.JPG

It doesnt look ricey or, what I call "mexican HID" - that nasty blue $20 wannabe crap that is annoying to every driver on the road.
(not being derogatory to hispanics - but tthats who you see doing it 95% of the time.

The main thing I wanted was to match my LEDs & to look OEM, but better and brighter - these are considered one of the best brands on the market if you want an OEM, nice look (no rice/cheese) (what the infiniti forums and amazon said)

My main concern was exactly like yours - I dont want that cheap crap - I want it to look exactly like a new luxury car... or as close as I can with my headlight assembly.

You definitely want to do both at the same time since HID fade over time.

So - see what part you need - and find it in the OSRAM CBI 5500K

Anything over 5500K starts to get blue-ish

Im sorry I dont have before & after shots

Yeah mine are D2S as well. Thanks! I've wanted to so this for a while but had trouble finding a happy medium between 4.5. and 6K. I definitely didn't want 6K. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,532
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah mine are D2S as well. Thanks! I've wanted to so this for a while but had trouble finding a happy medium between 4.5. and 6K. I definitely didn't want 6K. 

No problem.

eBay is where I bought them for $80 BTW

They still have some

Capture.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.