Training day and Lethal Weapon TV shows

I'm willing to give it a shot, but it's fox, so who knows?  They're very quick to pull the trigger and kill a show before it has the chance to get going.

in some of the scenes he actually sounded a bit like mel gibson...i hope the other guy says "two days till retirement" at some point lol..

I'll give it a go, Bruckheimer has been doing pretty well lately and i love me a bit of Bill Paxton. The connection to the films though is a bit unneeded. Just give it a cool name and sell it off as original content.

15 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

I'll give it a go, Bruckheimer has been doing pretty well lately and i love me a bit of Bill Paxton. The connection to the films though is a bit unneeded. Just give it a cool name and sell it off as original content.

Connecting them to the movies gives them instant brand recognition and less need to market the shows.  Everyone out there pretty much knows the Lethal Weapon movies, easy pitch when you want to get people to watch your new TV show.

Just now, George P said:

Connecting them to the movies gives them instant brand recognition and less need to market the shows.  Everyone out there pretty much knows the Lethal Weapon movies, easy pitch when you want to get people to watch your new TV show.

Well yeah, i totally understand why they do it, but it's time to stop. If your show is good enough then the people will watch, there's little point riding on the coat tails of a former film/show. This is getting as bad as those Hollywood reboots every 5 seconds.

Allow the new shows to stand on their own merits i say.

15 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Well yeah, i totally understand why they do it, but it's time to stop. If your show is good enough then the people will watch, there's little point riding on the coat tails of a former film/show. This is getting as bad as those Hollywood reboots every 5 seconds.

Allow the new shows to stand on their own merits i say.

I get your point but the issue is that there's so much content and competition out there that if a show doesn't show big numbers from the start on the big primetime networks, cbs,fox,nbc,abc, odds are it'll get canned before it gets a chance to find itself and so on.  Many shows would probably have done better had they gotten a 2nd season, but we'll never know because fox, especially, likes to kill shows off before they get that chance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Lethal Weapon was not bad as I thought...has potential but to early to really say.

The first episode had lots of throwbacks to the first movie, some of the scenes, I think, though I'd have to go back and watch the movie again, were pulled right from it. 

Spoiler

Like the part in the episode where he visits the house at night and gets invited in for dinner, that's right from the movie iirc.

They kind of dive right into his backstory more in this though than what I would have liked.  Sure if you've seen the movies you know what went down and why he's got a death wish, but man, the series could've held on to that a bit longer, but nope, all explained in the first episode.

9 minutes ago, George P said:

The first episode had lots of throwbacks to the first movie, some of the scenes, I think, though I'd have to go back and watch the movie again, were pulled right from it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Like the part in the episode where he visits the house at night and gets invited in for dinner, that's right from the movie iirc.

They kind of dive right into his backstory more in this though than what I would have liked.  Sure if you've seen the movies you know what went down and why he's got a death wish, but man, the series could've held on to that a bit longer, but nope, all explained in the first episode.

Yea, noticed things from the movies as well.  As far as the back story, new gens do not know much about the movies  and it is more for their sake than anything else.

Just now, techbeck said:

Yea, noticed things from the movies as well.  As far as the back story, new gens do not know much about the movies  and it is more for their sake than anything else.

I get that, I just think they could've maybe spread it out between 2 or 3 eps and not given it to us at the start.

35 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

thought it was ok, but the health problem they gave roger was just cliche, should've just left him perfectly healthy like in the movies.

I thought he had it in the 1st movie too? Maybe not... haven't seen it in years.

The thing I didn't like was that they depicted Riggs being kind of reckless & crazy before the wife died. Actually they shouldn't even have shown him before... I think it works better not seeing how he was before.