Linux for Classroom

ccoltmanm

I have around 20 cheap touchscreen tablets in my classroom (I'm a high school English teacher). They all run Windows 10, but I want to make the switch to Chrome OS. I put it on a laptop at home -- using CloudReady -- and loved it. Honestly, all my students need is Google Docs and a web browser. I would love to have that locked down environment where they sign into their own accounts. However, I'm having a hard time installing it on my tablet/laptops.

I think the problem is that the tablets have a 32bit EFI Secure Boot in place blocking the flash drive from being read properly at boot. I can install and reinstall Windows all I want, but for some reason, I am unable to even get the setup for CloudReady even going.

So, I have two questions.

1. Anyone have ideas on how to get CloudReady to install or be read on these machines?

2. Is there another Linux distro that is primarily a browser and locked down so students can mess it up, but is still user friendly (like Chrome OS)?

• Like 1
BinaryData

Well, as to your first two questions; Linux Mint, Debian and Ubuntu are the only ones I can think of. I'm not familiar with Cloud Ready.

However, my lead at work suggested a Windows 8.1 Unbranded tablet. You can access the BIOS by spamming the right keys. I'm picking one up next month, so I can re-image it with Ubuntu Linux.

ccoltmanm
1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

Well, as to your first two questions; Linux Mint, Debian and Ubuntu are the only ones I can think of. I'm not familiar with Cloud Ready.

However, my lead at work suggested a Windows 8.1 Unbranded tablet. You can access the BIOS by spamming the right keys. I'm picking one up next month, so I can re-image it with Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks for the reply. I purchased around 25 tablets that have keyboards detachable already (as I linked to). I just need advice on distros going forwards. The ones you posted are a bit heavy for what I'm looking for. There are far too many ways to mess them up. Also, I want nice tight integration with Google.

BinaryData
Just now, ccoltmanm said:

Thanks for the reply. I purchased around 25 tablets that have keyboards detachable already (as I linked to). I just need advice on distros going forwards. The ones you posted are a bit heavy for what I'm looking for. There are far too many ways to mess them up. Also, I want nice tight integration with Google.

Not sure you're going to find that. I haven't seen a dumbed down version of Linux that suits what you're looking for. Most tablets have a locked and encrypted bootloader, thus not being able to change anything. That's the problem with my Surface. I tried for days to hack it, and got no where with it. 

@adrynalyne May have more insight than I do, if I get stuck like you are, I usually find an alternative even if it costs me more money. But that seems like it isn't an option for you. I'll do some snooping around, I have 10 more hours on my shift :p