Polygon: Xbox Scorpio GPU targeting 6TFlops

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft's Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

SWNRGmv.png

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

:o

Not bad at all since they are wanting to release this next year I believe. For comparison...I think the GTX1070 is somewhere around 6.5 teraflops.

Would make sense if they're going to go after Sony this time and wait to see what the PS4 Neo can do and one up it.  As long as games are backwards and forwards compatible I have no issue.  Next year would be the 4th year of Xbox One, so it's not too soon really, I think 4 years is right on the edge of what fans are willing to work with, specially your early adopters who got the Xbox One back at the end of 2013.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Not bad at all since they are wanting to release this next year I believe. For comparison...I think the GTX1070 is somewhere around 6.5 teraflops.

what is the value of a typical Intel i7 CPU in comparison?

34 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

what is the value of a typical Intel i7 CPU in comparison?

You'd have to pick what clock speed for it and then do the math.  CPUs don't come close to the level of FLOPs a GPU can push out though, while GPUs are doing teraflops due to all the streaming cores/compute clusters or however else you want to call them, they're just cores in the end, CPUs while still at 4 Cores are still just giving you gigaflops of performance in comparison.

Anyway, depending on the number of cores and the clock speed you'll get the number you want.   But to compare a few...

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz gives you around 103 GFlops.

i7 4770k @ 3.7Ghz gives you around 152 GFlops.

i7 5960X @ 3.5Ghz gives you around 169 GFlops.

I called this years ago on these boards if it turns out to be true, they'll let PlayStation make their move and try and kill it performance wise since they have the financial power to do so.

Performance wise is the only reason for ps4 -> One. The launch killed them completely, but the controller, exclusives and even the look and quietness of the machine all trump the PS4 in my eyes.

Dont launch with any negative press, keep the price point at the same as the Neo and they'll be onto something.

I so hope this is true. With age I've come to prefer the sofa over the desk, but it's unbearable to play on the consoles currently because all games look and run so much better on my PC. :(

I'm still sat firmly in the don't bloody do it MS camp!

If the XB1 came out day one at £400+ then what is something like this going to cost after the XB1's short life span. You have a good console, put the money into the damn games!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George P said:

Would make sense if they're going to go after Sony this time and wait to see what the PS4 Neo can do and one up it.  As long as games are backwards and forwards compatible I have no issue.  Next year would be the 4th year of Xbox One, so it's not too soon really, I think 4 years is right on the edge of what fans are willing to work with, specially your early adopters who got the Xbox One back at the end of 2013.

The Xbox One has only been out 2 and a half years, so to already be talking releasing a newer version that's 4.5 times more powerful than the previous is a big kick in the teeth to anyone who has currently purchased one, especially when they have only just nicely sorted out the mess the Xbox One dashboard has been.

I certainly don't agree with splitting the user base as you will end up with games which only have features on the more powerful Xbox One console.

We had this on the 360 where some games required the hard drive for example, which is fair enough that could be added. It wont be possible to upgrade existing Xbox One consoles though.

Important part not in the first post

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017, according to Polygon's sources.

Not going to do much against the Neo in the short term given it'll be a year+ after (Neo is said to be Sep/Oct 2016). By 2018 you'll probably see a PS5 so it'll be swings and roundabouts from here on in.

26 minutes ago, John. said:

Great. Only had my xbone for 6 months. That'll teach me!

By the time this is actually out, it will be 2 years you had it. So whats the issue?

4 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

The Xbox One has only been out 2 and a half years, so to already be talking releasing a newer version that's 4.5 times more powerful than the previous is a big kick in the teeth to anyone who has currently purchased one, especially when they have only just nicely sorted out the mess the Xbox One dashboard has been.

I certainly don't agree with splitting the user base as you will end up with games which only have features on the more powerful Xbox One console.

We had this on the 360 where some games required the hard drive for example, which is fair enough that could be added. It wont be possible to upgrade existing Xbox One consoles though.

Since this doesn't come out till 2017, and late, it'll be 4 years or close to it.  The other key here is that it sounds like it won't be splitting the userbase,  with the right mandates/restrictions in place you'd keep compatibility with the only difference being output for res, which if we're talking default 1080p, anything more would depend on your TV, and framerate, which again, another over 60 and it doesn't really matter.  

So while you can't upgrade consoles you're not forced to rush out and buy the new thing next year, since you could still play games that come out on both, it'd be like a high end gaming PC to a mid-range gaming PC, games on both are still the same, just set to different levels.   If the price for this is right, you could hold off for a bit and jump in once you're ready.

6 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Important part not in the first post

Not going to do much against the Neo in the short term given it'll be a year+ after (Neo is said to be Sep/Oct 2016). By 2018 you'll probably see a PS5 so it'll be swings and roundabouts from here on in.

If sony does a PS5 just 2 years after the Neo I don't see how that doesn't tick fans off.   That's way to soon IMO, I think 4-5 years is the sweet spot for this type of upgrade cycle.

Fans are going to be ticked off at both manufacturers, regardless of the time between launch and upgrade.

The 5 year sweet spot is acceptable to fans for generation leaps, not minor upgrades.

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Fans are going to be ticked off at both manufacturers, regardless of the time between launch and upgrade.

The 5 year sweet spot is acceptable to fans for generation leaps, not minor upgrades.

If these numbers are true I wouldn't call it a minor upgrade.   I mean in both cases we're talking big jumps if you just look at the teraflops.  What more would a "generation leap" bring to the table if not a big 3x, 4x,5x, jump in performance?   That's how it's always been, a pure look at performance over last gen.

11 hours ago, George P said:

You'd have to pick what clock speed for it and then do the math.  CPUs don't come close to the level of FLOPs a GPU can push out though, while GPUs are doing teraflops due to all the streaming cores/compute clusters or however else you want to call them, they're just cores in the end, CPUs while still at 4 Cores are still just giving you gigaflops of performance in comparison.

Anyway, depending on the number of cores and the clock speed you'll get the number you want.   But to compare a few...

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz gives you around 103 GFlops.

i7 4770k @ 3.7Ghz gives you around 152 GFlops.

i7 5960X @ 3.5Ghz gives you around 169 GFlops.

wow, with those numbers, this Xboxone CPU is going to be a beast. A thought just entered my mind, this obviously won't be an x86-64 architecture processor obviously. this processor has had to have some massive financial backing in R&D to produce a CPU in the teraflops arena.

this image comes to mind (old maxell advertisement from the 1980's)

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fedwardboches.c

48 minutes ago, George P said:

If these numbers are true I wouldn't call it a minor upgrade.   I mean in both cases we're talking big jumps if you just look at the teraflops.  What more would a "generation leap" bring to the table if not a big 3x, 4x,5x, jump in performance?   That's how it's always been, a pure look at performance over last gen.

eloquently spoken. :) 

1 hour ago, George P said:

If sony does a PS5 just 2 years after the Neo I don't see how that doesn't tick fans off.   That's way to soon IMO, I think 4-5 years is the sweet spot for this type of upgrade cycle.

I can't even fathom in my mind, the HUGE migration of users from PS4 to Xboxone, 2017  version. it will hopefully be astounding, barring any issues. But wow, running in teraflops, I can't even guess what kinds of heat issues would have to be dealt with. this would be frying an egg kind of heat.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

It's amazing what a few numbers can do to people's opinion on resolutiongate and splitting user bases!

Honestly I'd prefer they not split the userbase over a few pixels on screen, but that's me. May as well just make this the Xbox 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George P said:

Not really, it's still a PS4. If a PS5 comes out late 2018 it's counted the years from when the PS4 launched. 2013, so 5.

It'll be 2018 or 2019. It'll depend on when the next big jump for console internals can be done and for a decent price.

8 hours ago, Skiver said:

I'm still sat firmly in the don't bloody do it MS camp!

If the XB1 came out day one at £400+ then what is something like this going to cost after the XB1's short life span. You have a good console, put the money into the damn games!

Not disagreeing with you on this one...

I'd invest in Games, System Features, and Push Live to new limits...

Drop a new console in 2018...

7 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Not really, it's still a PS4. If a PS5 comes out late 2018 it's counted the years from when the PS4 launched. 2013, so 5.

It'll be 2018 or 2019. It'll depend on when the next big jump for console internals can be done and for a decent price.

It's funny, after the obnoxiously long stretch of last gen, this gen feels like a blink.

I think these generation cycles should last around 5-8yrs personally...

I guess Windows 10, allows MS to veer off the path of tradition, when it comes to console launches and such...

If Microsoft goes nuts with a newer (much more powerful) Xbox, I think it will be for enthusiast only (like the Xbox Elite Controller)...

That will probably be in the $500-$600 range...  

This thing will NOT be mass produced at a high level like people think...  well not initially at least...