Unread content not working.

So it was working again, then I clicked on load more activity and it brings up "[[Template core/front/streams/streamItems is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]" refresh the page and now it completely broken.

Found the real problem:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/unread/ <- that works most of the time

https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/unread/?&before=1466025117&latest=0 <-that breaks the page

Invision have suggested to me that it could be related to items in the search index table having been deleted from the content tables. They suggested rebuilding the search index, which is running now. Search will likely be a bit wonky on the forums until that completes, but fingers crossed it resolves the issue. If not, we'll take a further look at it and figure out what to try next.

On 15/06/2016 at 11:50 PM, Danielx64 said:

So it was working again, then I clicked on load more activity and it brings up "[[Template core/front/streams/streamItems is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]" refresh the page and now it completely broken.

Found the real problem:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/unread/ <- that works most of the time

https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/unread/?&before=1466025117&latest=0 <-that breaks the page

So the rebuild is finished, and I've tried the link posted above that broke the page previously, and it now loads fine. Please let us know if you run into this again, and we'll take a further look, otherwise, it seems that was the solution.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

So the rebuild is finished, and I've tried the link posted above that broke the page previously, and it now loads fine. Please let us know if you run into this again, and we'll take a further look, otherwise, it seems that was the solution.

the second link in the quote above your comment;  i got this instead:

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 3.18.31 PM.png

On 6/21/2016 at 0:56 PM, Danielx64 said:

So i just tried to view unread content and it broken again. Same error @DaveLegg

So good news, I've managed to dig back through the search index, and I've found the problematic records, and I know what's causing them - I just need to find the bit in code that's allowing that to happen, and get it resolved so it doesn't happen again.

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

What was causing this serious issue?

When a news post was being published by the automated timer that releases the stories from the queue, something went wrong, and the process was rolled back, but for some reason, the roll back didn't remove the entry from the search index for the forum thread that would have been created. I need to investigate why this is happening - possibly IPB creates the index entry in a different process, so it's not caught by the rollback.

Now that I know the problem, if it happens again before I find the solution, I have a quick query that will run in about a second to fix it, rather than having to rebuild the whole index from scratch each time, so, progress!

Good news, we've figured out that the issue behind this was down to the fact that despite the default table type for the forums being InnoDB, the search index table was created as a MyIASM table. MyIASM doesn't support transactions, so while the content was being removed from the posts and topics table when something went wrong and was rolled back, the record in the search index was still there, but referring to a topic which didn't exist. I've converted the index table to InnoDB, and the index is rebuilding again (for the last time I should hope!)

From here on, this shouldn't come up as a problem again :)

@DaveLegg

The second link in your quote in a few posts back, I just tested the second link and it loads quickly and no problems..

No script message popup which I showed you the screenshot.

Much better now. :)

Good job and Thanks.