New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?

New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less

In your honest opinion, was it any good? I tried to keep an open mind, but it just isn't the same without Clarkson & co. Matt LeBlanc was almost ok,  but the other host was just SO a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g! Or is it just me? :-D

I watched it and it was cringe-worthy. It was like they were all trying too hard to be funny while entertaining and it just didn't work. 
The reason I thought Top-Gear worked so well before was because the 3 of them were genuinely good friends and that showed with the banter on the show. Now, with the new hosts, they don't have that whole genuine friendship thing going on, so it just looks awkward and weird on the show. Needless to say, I won't be watching Top-Gear again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anarkii said:

I watched it and it was cringe-worthy. It was like they were all trying too hard to be funny while entertaining and it just didn't work. 
The reason I thought Top-Gear worked so well before was because the 3 of them were genuinely good friends and that showed with the banter on the show. Now, with the new hosts, they don't have that whole genuine friendship thing going on, so it just looks awkward and weird on the show. Needless to say, I won't be watching Top-Gear again.

Cringe worthy...yep. I'll give it a few more episodes...but I do not see how this will last much longer.  Chris Evans is just horrible.  Matt LeBlanc is ok..I guess.  Anyway, it is still getting slammed.  Can not wait for The Grand Tour.

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

Cringe worthy...yep. I'll give it a few more episodes...but I do not see how this will last much longer.  Chris Evans is just horrible.  Matt LeBlanc is ok..I guess.  Anyway, it is still getting slammed.  Can not wait for The Grand Tour.

Grand Tour will be great. Looking forward also to seeing those 3 idiots being well, idiots. :)

• Like 2

I managed 20 minutes before turning off. It was just like some comedy sketch of the real thing, Evans was even trying to sound like Clarkson and it all felt laboured and awkward. I think it could've done with a completely new format as it just felt like they were standing in for Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Agree with the above. Evans trying to be Clarkson was just plain uncomfortable, exaggerated when introducing the Stig.

What they should have done was made it their own, the old format worked for those 3, doesn't translate to the new team. Hopefully they will find their own way before they kill Top Gear but who knows.

My mind was made up as soon as the catering joke fell flat on its ass. A terrible performance by Chris Evans.

Matt LeBlanc was great on location filming, I enjoyed the segment with the Nomand, and actually laughed at some of the jokes.

This bit especially felt like old Top Gear.

topgear.png

However based on that episode they don't deserve to call it Top Gear. There's no presenter relationship at all, and Chris Evans was treating it more like a friday night chat show rather than a Motoring program. Simply the wrong choice.

It wasn't Top Gear. I watched it yesterday, and while I enjoyed Leblanc and Schmitz, Evans was too loud and there wasn't the same chemistry like with the original trio. That can be improved on over time though, and I wouldn't say that the show in general was terrible. Although hopefully as it progresses they will try and get their own jokes.

I will probably continue to watch the series, at least for now or if there isn't anything else on, but I'm waiting for The Grand Tour.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of the first episode, it wasn't turn it off awful, but I had it on in the background and it wasn't the same, they've tried to emulate/copy a little bit too much from the previous Top Gear which didn't feel right to me. 

Those that talk about chemistry...don't forget that Top Gear with Clarkson and co had been around for years so it took a while to build that level chemistry. I'm not going to stop watching, if they keep the cars interesting why not. It's not like you can't watch only one of them :)

It needs to be given time to flourish. It felt very stiff, almost like a bad tribute band of what once was.

Give it time, let it settle in to it's own rhythm and stop trying to be Top Gear past and i reckon it'll be a pretty decent entertaining show.  The Nomad segment was great, Matt's clearly more comfortable without hyper active Evans shouting everywhere.

It's like watching one of those Top Gear spins offs from another country you don't want to watch because it's not the real Top Gear.

I think that they should have renewed the show a bit instead of trying to continue it directly from the last season like nothing happened. Jeremy got smaller, louder and more annoying. C.E. reminds me of Dame Edna. No thank you very much. 

Jokes that worked for the "idiot trio", work only for "the idiot trio."  I suppose the writers are still the same, so that's probably why? We'll see how things turn out, but I'm 99% sure that GT and the idiot trio will crush TG in ratings.

34 minutes ago, Allister2015 said:

working progress

"work in progress"... 

As for the show "Oh hey aren't we all great chums, look at us having a laugh, we're such chums, hahaha crazy times" - turns TV off!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BGM said:

not seen it yet, was chris harris involved this week?

No. There was Chris Evans, Matt Leblanc and Sabine Schmitz. I was wondering how the heck they were going to have the whole team on each episode, I guess either they will take turns or the others will appear in Extra Gear.

I didn't like it and agree with others that Chris Evans did a poor job, it felt forced more than anything. I know Clarkson, Hammond and May were scripted much of the time, but at least it worked chemistry-wise.

Oh, and I don't believe for a minute that the car plate number wasn't noticed from the "Argentina trouble" (that's scripting ;))

47 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Oh, and I don't believe for a minute that the car plate number wasn't noticed from the "Argentina trouble" (that's scripting ;))

exactly, i have to admit the stink over that made me think of clarkson as a complete moron, whereas before that "special" he was a likeable moron.

in all fairness, I dont miss seeing or hearing clarkson, I do with hammond and may however.

And im a top gear fan since the early 80s ;) 

15 minutes ago, Mando said:

exactly, i have to admit the stink over that made me think of clarkson as a complete moron, whereas before that "special" he was a likeable moron.

in all fairness, I dont miss seeing or hearing clarkson, I do with hammond and may however.

And im a top gear fan since the early 80s ;) 

Hah! I feel exactly the same way :p

I didn't think it was totally horrible.  It definitely felt very stiff and rigid and some bits I just wasn't a fan of.  However by the end of the episode I was like "Alright... well.. maybe.." I'll need a couple more weeks to really decide.

The poll almost needs an "I don't know yet" option.

It was so bad...so bad that it was even WORSE than Top Gear USA. Chris Evans is a joke...he needs to go. 

Bring on The Grand Tour! 

4 hours ago, Nik L said:

"work in progress"... 

As for the show "Oh hey aren't we all great chums, look at us having a laugh, we're such chums, hahaha crazy times" - turns TV off!

My Grammar is poor. Top Gear isn't going anywhere,  its a work in progress and I quite enjoyed it, that's my opinion and if you choose not to watch it you miss out on what the show is all about CARS. I Know it will get better then you will indeed start watching it. out with the old in with the new .