New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?

New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less

5 minutes ago, Allister2015 said:

My Grammar is poor. Top Gear isn't going anywhere,  its a work in progress and I quite enjoyed it, that's my opinion and if you choose not to watch it you miss out on what the show is all about CARS. I Know it will get better then you will indeed start watching it. out with the old in with the new . 

Um, what?  I corrected your grammar, I don't care whether our opinions tally - this is a poll.  And you seem determined to make bizarre Windows comparisons?

4 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Um, what?  I corrected your grammar, I don't care whether our opinions tally - this is a poll.  And you seem determined to make bizarre Windows comparisons?

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm quite new to this but you already know that. I voted Yes

Indeed, I A few more episodes and they will blend,  everything must have a starting point and coming off the 3 amigos who had nailed it with their individuality and constant bickering Oh and not to mention the Cars, I Believe up and onwards should be the motto.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sbasil said:

I suppose the writers are still the same, so that's probably why? We'll see how things turn out, but I'm 99% sure that GT and the idiot trio will crush TG in ratings.

Clarkson himself wrote much of the script for the show, that's part of why this new one seemed off; they tried to copyhis style, and missed.

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I didn't like it and agree with others that Chris Evans did a poor job, it felt forced more than anything. I know Clarkson, Hammond and May were scripted much of the time, but at least it worked chemistry-wise.

Scripted yes, by Clarkson who knew his mates and could write for them well, plus they ad-libbed a lot.

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Oh, and I don't believe for a minute that the car plate number wasn't noticed from the "Argentina trouble" (that's scripting ;))

The number plate WAS a genuine plate, but you can bet some researcher saw it and thought it'd be a perfect gag. They just underestimated the reaction. Who would honestly put themselves and their crew in danger on purpose?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The number plate WAS a genuine plate, but you can bet some researcher saw it and thought it'd be a perfect gag. They just underestimated the reaction. Who would honestly put themselves and their crew in danger on purpose?

Oh I know the plate is a genuine one, that much was made clear early on.. seemed like too much a coincidence not to get noticed at all until it was "too late". 

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Oh I know the plate is a genuine one, that much was made clear early on.. seemed like too much a coincidence not to get noticed at all until it was "too late". 

I'm not convinced Clarkson knew about it though,  After all, who looks at a car number plate? Besides, he'd have made some cracks about it if he had.

• Like 2

I thought it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Yes, the chemistry wasn't there, but that was to be expected. Matt wasn't as bad as I had originally feared, and Chris was just Chris. They did make too much of an effort to just 'carry on as usual', where they really should have tried to come up with their own formula.

For those who think it was dreadful, just go and watch a few episodes from the pre Clarkson/Hammond/May era to remind yourselves of how god awful the original show was. As bad as you might think the new TG is, it's still light years ahead of the original version.

I'll continue to watch TG, and I'll probably grow to like it. I'll also watch Grand Tour, and hopefully love that too. I am allowed to watch two motoring shows right?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

I'll continue to watch TG, and I'll probably grow to like it. I'll also watch Grand Tour, and hopefully love that too. I am allowed to watch two motoring shows right?

Absolutely!

So long as the new TG grows to fit it's own skin and GT is what i hope it is (oh come on, it'll be awesome!), then i can't see how, as consumers of content, we lose.

I thought it was a mixed bag. Like pretty much everyone else has said, Chris Evans trying to ape the ape (Clarkson) was just cringeworthy; it was fine parodying him in the intro, but it should have ended there. Matt LeBlanc was surprisingly good, though. I watched Extra Gear afterwards, and that was much better in the studio; proof right there that Chris Harris should be the lead presenter over Evans (Rory Reid would fit in well, too).

Old Top Gear died when Clarkson left and the remaining presenters tried to be just like him. It's the same thing again. Unless they are going to do something completely different, there's just no point.

See, I like Chris Evans on his BBC Radio 2 Breakfast show, but I don't like him on TV.

They're trying to carry on with the same format, but that format is extremely dependant on the relationships between the hosts. It is evident that these new hosts (Chris Evans and Matt Le Blanc) simply haven't developed a bond that allow the format to work. Clarkson, etc had what, 15+ years to develop this? Maybe these hosts will get there in 15 year's time?

• Like 2

I want those minutes back!

Watched it last night and it was woeful, Chris Evans is so not suited to it, I did however warm a bit to Matt Le Blanc in the Nomad spot, that was quite entertaining, the rest was painful to watch.

The echo in the studio was so distracting, its like they had half the content or crowd in the hangar and it just sounded terrible. Clearly sacked the sound engineers along with Clarkson and his cronies.

Not having the news spot was poor, infact if it didnt have the label "Top Gear" it would have been royally slated as a pointless big lemon.

so disappointed.

I found LeBlanc's lines to be way forced as zingers and not THAT funny trying to be racey. I also noticed that he basically flipped off Chris at one point.

Overall, not terribly impressed, but I'd give them time to settle in, but I think they are in a losing race.

3 hours ago, jupe said:

maybe time for a boycott

You know, just because people dislike something, it doesn't follow that the word "boycott" be thrown around.  That's just lame, self-entitled behaviour.  Simply don't watch it, no need to give that any overstated label such as "boycott".

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mando said:

Not having the news spot was poor, infact if it didnt have the label "Top Gear" it would have been royally slated as a pointless big lemon.

God knows why, but the news segment got relegated to Extra Gear, which is only on iPlayer, now that BBC Three's online-only. If you're curious: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03w1dcs/top-gear-extra-gear-episode-1 (it's at 14:30)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

God knows why, but the news segment got relegated to Extra Gear, which is only on iPlayer, now that BBC Three's online-only. If you're curious: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03w1dcs/top-gear-extra-gear-episode-1 (it's at 14:30)

yep not watched the extra quite yet. Ill watch it tonight, cheers :)

disappointing that it felt like 'Britain vs America', and they totally missed the point of a 'reasonably priced car', it was a little torturous in places to watch but hopefully they will work out some of this after a while. 

can't wait for The Grand Tour, but haven't written off Top Gear just yet.

After seeing the first two episodes (only half of the second one, I just couldn't bare to watch it),  I won't be watching the third one. There's no chemistry whatsoever between the hosts and the old jokes don't work. Evans is just annoying and while LeBlanc might not be, everything just feels so "forced."  I'm sure that many people like show as it is, but I can't help but to compare it with the old show which was so effortless. I'd almost rather watch Fifth Gear which was super dry. :-D

The second episode was definitely an improvement, but Evans is still annoying and not really a good fit. Thankfully, the good Chris (Harris) will be on the main show next week, and so will the Tesla Model X, so automatically a good episode in my eyes. :p 

Second episode was better only seen half of it so far due to work, get rid of Chris evans and keep Jenson Button