Can't sent messages to moderators while banned.

I can't sent messages to moderators while I'm banned.

I have had been banned in the past because the moderator misinterpreted what I said and I wanted to message the moderator to clarify what I said, but I can't.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Moderator: You have been banned for X days for violating Rule #999

I want to be contact the moderators and appeal my ban.

Me: What I said was ### which really means *** and hence that doesn't violate Rule #999.

Edited by illegaloperation

Respect Moderator Decisions.
Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, and the appropriate action taken (up to and including forum bans) against the thread starter and/or participants. However, as a member you reserve the right to PM any moderator, supervisor or administrator regarding action taken at Neowin.  Maybe a glitch

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, and the appropriate action taken (up to and including forum bans) against the thread starter and/or participants. However, as a member you reserve the right to PM any moderator, supervisor or administrator regarding action taken at Neowin.

Actually, you can't.

20 minutes ago, zhangm said:

I'll admit I don't know exactly what it looks like when restricted or banned... :p

Is the site footer visible? Can you hit the Contact Us link?

https://www.neowin.net/contact/

I get a message that said "You have been banned for X days for violating Rule # whatever.

The only option I get is a "I acknowledged" button.

Everything is read-only.

If I click on anything, it just tells me that I can't do that because I am banned.

No comments. No messages. No everything else.

I am not sure about the contact page.

Edited by illegaloperation

12 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I know, that is why it maybe a glitch with the last update. The guidelines say that you can PM a Moderator.

Not a glitch. It has been like this for a long time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not a glitch. It has been like this for a long time. 

If you look at the Rules it says that you can. If the rules are wrong they should be corrected.

Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, and the appropriate action taken (up to and including forum bans) against the thread starter and/or participants. However, as a member you reserve the right to PM any moderator, supervisor or administrator regarding action taken at Neowin.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/guidelines/

45 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

I can't sent messages to moderators while I'm banned.

I have had been banned in the past because the moderator misinterpreted what I said and I wanted to message the moderator to clarify what I said, but I can't.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Moderator: You have been banned for X days for violating Rule #999

I want to be contact the moderators and appeal my ban.

Me: What I said was ### which really means *** and hence that doesn't violate Rule #999.

I think this is how it has always been. I remember thinking how dumb that was, because I wanted to contest a two-week vacation on the grounds that it was a petty ban given, but couldnt send messages to anyone including Mods.

• Like 1

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

You should care because if they ban you for a reason... you won't be able to get a hold of a moderator via PM in order to have them to unban you. Which means you want to work something out with a moderator so they will consider to unban...

Then no, I should care about them fixing the broken forum, not the rules. They already say we can do that.

Did you confirm the acknowledgement? 

Also at the tabs near the top click on more, than click staff, a list of staff will show with a message link to whomever you wish to contact.

I received a warning and was able to send a message after clicking the confirm.  However, in this case it may be different for the ban.  I'm assuming your ban is for one forum as you're able to create and post here.    I'm no forum expert though.  

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Then no, I should care about them fixing the broken forum, not the rules. They already say we can do that.

Then the OP said he can't PM them..  

1 minute ago, Raze said:

Also at the tabs near the top click on more, than click staff, a list of staff will show with a message link to whomever you wish to contact.

I received a warning and was able to send a message after clicking the confirm.  However, in this case it may be different for the ban.  I'm assuming your ban is for one forum as you're able to create and post here.    I'm no forum expert though.  

It is different in the case of a ban and it applies to all sub forums.

1 minute ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Then the OP said he can't PM them..  

I was confirming his issue, what is your point?

• Like 1

Just now, Raze said:

How long ago was this? A warning is different than a ban/temp ban. When you are banned, you cannot send messages to anyone, including mods. The section to send a message/type your text is locked with a date of when your ban will be lifted.

• Like 1

Thread cleaned. Let's try and bring it back to a possible issue with the site. We don't need to bring up discussion of specific warnings.

We're just going to have to wait for word from a site admin about whether this is a change in policy or an inadvertent change in the way restrictions are imposed. I agree that just reading the quoted lines from community rules that it sounds like PMs should continue to work.

Edit. Also, strictly speaking, there is a difference between a temporary restriction and a ban.

• Like 2

Just now, Circaflex said:

How long ago was this? A warning is different than a ban/temp ban. When you are banned, you cannot send messages to anyone, including mods. The section to send a message/type your text is locked with a date of when your ban will be lifted.

If it were a ban the OP would not be able to post. Now I am done with this.

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Its possible, his temp ban has been lifted so he created the thread to ask why. No need to get all huff and puff. I can confirm the same thing as OP, while I was on a two-week vacation, I could not post new topics, reply to topics, send message to other members, or send messages to Admins/mods/supervisors. Everything had the same locked out text reply, stating I could post after a certain date. Surely, its possible OP was banned, wanted to contest, and couldn't, and is now bringing it to the attention of staff. What exactly is your argument or why are you so defensive? I am so confused why you quoted me and threw a fit.

4 minutes ago, zhangm said:

Thread cleaned. Let's try and bring it back to a possible issue with the site. We don't need to bring up discussion of specific warnings.

We're just going to have to wait for word from a site admin about whether this is a change in policy or an inadvertent change in the way restrictions are imposed. I agree that just reading the quoted lines from community rules that it sounds like PMs should continue to work.

I hope they stand by their word and fix the issue instead of change the rules to match the problem.

• Like 2

Just now, Gary7 said:

I am not, I said that because a few posts back I said I was done with this and then posted again. I am not being difficult you are. Now I am finished as I have said all that I need to.

I think you are quoting the wrong person, I am not being difficult. You are one strange guy Gary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

As I said, I received a warning.  And @adrynalyne clarified the ban/warning difference.    Thanks.

Use this link when banned. https://www.neowin.net/contact/  I used this when I received a ban during an site upgrade.

When you get banned on here you cannot do anything. You can't go to the forums, you can't go to your account, you can't do anything. They lock you out of any form of communication with anything on this site.

I dont know what it's like now, but previously you couldn't even log out of your account when banned. The option was there but you would get some error.. had to clear cookies and whatnot just to be able to force a log out.

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Or, you know, I could just waited out the ban.

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Its possible, his temp ban has been lifted so he created the thread to ask why. No need to get all huff and puff. I can confirm the same thing as OP, while I was on a two-week vacation, I could not post new topics, reply to topics, send message to other members, or send messages to Admins/mods/supervisors. Everything had the same locked out text reply, stating I could post after a certain date. Surely, its possible OP was banned, wanted to contest, and couldn't, and is now bringing it to the attention of staff. What exactly is your argument or why are you so defensive? I am so confused why you quoted me and threw a fit.

That's exactly what it is.

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

When you get banned on here you cannot do anything. You can't go to the forums, you can't go to your account, you can't do anything. They lock you out of any form of communication with anything on this site.

I dont know what it's like now, but previously you couldn't even log out of your account when banned. The option was there but you would get some error.. had to clear cookies and whatnot just to be able to force a log out.

This is a good description.

2 hours ago, zhangm said:

Edit. Also, strictly speaking, there is a difference between a temporary restriction and a ban.

well put a test ban on me and I'll test it out. and report back my findings.