Windows 7 Sticky Notes removed from latest Windows 10 Build 14,361

They said it coming... But it's officially dead :(

Can't launch it any more with the stikynot command. 

We need to use the new sticky notes app (UWP version)

Windows 10 Build. 14,361.

new stiky.PNG

I'm sure its replacement will be a dumbed-down "app" designed clearly for mobile but shoehorned onto a desktop and missing a vast amount of features and functionality.

4 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

You can't really dumb down something that's already so basic. If anything, I imagine an UWP version having more functionality in this case.

Yeah you're probably right, I'm just making an assumption based on other programs that have been destroyed in favor of apps.

1 minute ago, Order_66 said:

Yeah you're probably right, I'm just making an assumption based on other programs that have been destroyed in favor of apps.

I suppose that's fair enough. UWP hasn't quite matured yet & will probably need a few years to catch up.

5 hours ago, Active. said:

So even sticky notes require a privacy statement now? :/ 

If you decide to turn that feature on, then whatever you write down is being scanned by Cortana/Bing etc, of course you'd need a privacy statement for that feature.   It's also something the old sticky notes didn't do from what I remember, so even in this newest build, they've got more functionality than the old Windows 7 version.

This version is already ending up more feature rich than the old basic Windows 7 sticky notes, I can't really complain with them deciding to ditch the old and go with the new, you're not losing and only gaining in this case.

UWP apps are only as limited as the developers build them to be.    There's very little holding you back at this stage in the framework/platforms life, they've been adding newer APIs and you've been able to use a good chunk of older Win32 APIs in your UWP apps as well.

You can use the Vista Sticky Notes gadget if you put back the Sidebar. With the gadget, you can change the font, font size, and it doesn't put a button for every note on your Taskbar.

KLSQ7fm.jpg

To be honest, now that I've tried them, I like the UI more than before. 

But it is a dumb-down version unfortunately. None of the keyboard shortcuts work with it, and it takes a while to pop-up, whereas the old one was almost instantaneously. Hopefully winaero will come up with a solution!!

On 6/9/2016 at 8:24 PM, Order_66 said:

I'm sure its replacement will be a dumbed-down "app" designed clearly for mobile but shoehorned onto a desktop and missing a vast amount of features and functionality.

Untitled-1.jpg