• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Car Manufacturers Ranked in Terms of Maintenance Costs / 10 years.

adrynalyne    12,152
1 minute ago, techbeck said:

How old is that image in the OP?  Thought Saturn and Pontiac were not even being made anymore.

They still exist and must be repaired. 

They are standard GM parts anyway. 

techbeck    6,908
Just now, adrynalyne said:

They still exist and must be repaired. 

They are standard GM parts anyway. 

I know ...but Pontiac ended in what, 2009.  Would be interested in knowing repair costs of new vehicles and companies that are still in existence.

• Like 1

+Jimmy1    10,392
8 minutes ago, techbeck said:

How old is that image in the OP?  Thought Saturn and Pontiac were not even being made anymore.

Following the withdrawal of a bid by Penske Automotive to acquire Saturn in September 2009, General Motors discontinued the Saturn brand and ended its outstanding franchises on October 31, 2010

You are right, there is no way this image is anywhere recent and reliable.  Since 2009, MB alone when though a complete changeover, and the quality of their cars is completely different to what is was 7 years ago. 

They stopped producing the crazy expensive SLR in 2010, and designated resources into upping the regular car quality and design. and it worked!  they are my fav car manufacturer now.  Nothing like they where before 2010. 

+Mirumir    5,635

I'm not saying that no one keeps a car for more than five years, I'm sure a lot of people do, there's nothing wrong with this. And, actually, It's a sound financial decision imho.

Still, I was being conservative when i said 3-5, because a large group of car owners swap their cars every two years.

In the U.S., a quarter of all new auto sales comes from lease contracts signed on two or three year terms. 

+Gary7    7,372
11 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Plenty of pedal to go that would have netted another 2mph.

I don't think so, the speedometer goes up to 160. I also had about 4 inches of play in the pedal anyway, 140 was fast enough.

shockz    5,771
11 hours ago, techbeck said:

I know ...but Pontiac ended in what, 2009.  Would be interested in knowing repair costs of new vehicles and companies that are still in existence.

This is a study on 10 year maintenance costs. Of course Pontiac and Saturn are going to be included. Cars don't disappear as soon as their brand is deemed defunct. 

• Like 1

adrynalyne    12,152
11 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I don't think so, the speedometer goes up to 160. I also had about 4 inches of play in the pedal anyway, 140 was fast enough.

The car is limited to 147 in the Type S model and that is under perfect circumstances and unlimited road. You aren't hitting 160 in a 260HP Acura sedan. The car is drive by wire. It doesn't matter how much pedal travel you have. My wife's 200 hp Sonata even has a speedometer that goes to 160. It doesn't mean anything. 

• Like 1

The Evil Overlord    18,441
19 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Don't always believe that

I had a fools time telling some idiot I met when I was trying my hand at gardening, that you cannot go 160mph in a v5 golf, and he would have none of it

1 I've owned one, they max out at 149

2 a lot of cars are loosely limited to 155 in the uk

• Like 2

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

Don't always believe that

I had a fools time telling some idiot I met when I was trying my hand at gardening, that you cannot go 160mph in a v5 golf, and he would have none of it

1 I've owned one, they max out at 149

2 a lot of cars are loosely limited to 155 in the uk

Maybe so but the mechanic at the dealership told me that it would hit 160. I was not going to try it anyway.

adrynalyne    12,152
13 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Maybe so but the mechanic at the dealership told me that it would hit 160. I was not going to try it anyway.

He lied. Actually more like he didn't know better. 

My car will hit 164. It takes 435HP to do it and it's only a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours. For your car to hit 160 with a 260HP motor (this assumes Type S), it would need massive weight reduction. There are diminishing returns in play at high speed. 

• Like 1

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, adrynalyne said:

My car will hit 164. It takes 435HP to do it and it's only a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours. 

Maybe so but he was a mechanic and not a salesmen , I would not have believed a salesmen . The 3.2L  does have a high performance engine, but it is a moot point now. I ain't about to try it again.

tsupersonic    1,818
8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

My car will hit 164. It takes 435HP to do it and it's only a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours. For your car to hit 160 with a 260HP motor (this assumes Type S), it would need massive weight reduction. There are diminishing returns in play at high speed. 

Gearing also plays a big factor. Also, I don't believe that mechanic. The generation of TL ('04-'08) was a nice car (probably one of the nicest looking sedans), but it can't compete with the BMW's for pure driving bliss.

Also to the other poster and speedometer - My old Civic with a 115 hp engine had a speedo that went to 150 MPH, but no way was it going to make it there. It's just there for play.

Riva    1,175

Mercedes is definitely cost rather than maintainability. They don't brake that easily but when they do be ready to break the bank big time. It cost me 1700 euros to replace the power steering wheel pump and one suspension in just parts after a flying incident :p

• Like 1

linsook    149
12 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Following the withdrawal of a bid by Penske Automotive to acquire Saturn in September 2009, General Motors discontinued the Saturn brand and ended its outstanding franchises on October 31, 2010

You are right, there is no way this image is anywhere recent and reliable.  Since 2009, MB alone when though a complete changeover, and the quality of their cars is completely different to what is was 7 years ago. 

They stopped producing the crazy expensive SLR in 2010, and designated resources into upping the regular car quality and design. and it worked!  they are my fav car manufacturer now.  Nothing like they where before 2010. 

SLS is the successor.  dont think MB redirected any resources.

Depicus    946
49 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Gearing also plays a big factor. Also, I don't believe that mechanic. The generation of TL ('04-'08) was a nice car (probably one of the nicest looking sedans), but it can't compete with the BMW's for pure driving bliss.

Also to the other poster and speedometer - My old Civic with a 115 hp engine had a speedo that went to 150 MPH, but no way was it going to make it there. It's just there for play.

My car is rated as a top speed of 104mph but there is a nice downhill straight where I can get to 125mph before new pants are required. Sometimes a downhill can help ;)

• Like 1

+Jimmy1    10,392
4 hours ago, linsook said:

SLS is the successor.  dont think MB redirected any resources.

They did at the time.   Remember the monstrocity that the first ML was, and the quality problems they had?   At that time MB was terrible.   I cannot remember where, but I remember reading the interview about them drastically changing their focus on improving quality of regular vehicles around the time next gen ML was released.  I know, because I was following the issue closely at the time, since a friend owed first gen ML.   and I remember that interview about change of focus.

that is the only reason i mentioned it.

• Like 1

The Evil Overlord    18,441
12 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Normally I would agree, but I used to own (technically I still own what's left of it) a 2000 Vauxhall Omega Highway Undercover car

it was a 212hp V6 and was de limited and was tuned, it could break 164mph with 200 horses, but it was geared as a high speed Highway Cruiser, I can no longer confirm this top speed as

1, I don't go to Rockingham Raceway anymore, and

2, I blew the engine :cry: 

6 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

They did at the time.   Remember the monstrocity that the first ML was, and the quality problems they had?   At that time MB was terrible.   I cannot remember where, but I remember reading the interview about them drastically changing their focus on improving quality of regular vehicles around the time next gen ML was released.  I know, because I was following the issue closely at the time, since a friend owed first gen ML.   and I remember that interview about change of focus.

that is the only reason i mentioned it.

Clarkson mentioned it in Top Gear a few years back as there was a similar list, at that time Merc came in as number 1 as most unreliable car for the ML (and a few other class cars)

• Like 2

adrynalyne    12,152
23 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Normally I would agree, but I used to own (technically I still own what's left of it) a 2000 Vauxhall Omega Highway Undercover car

it was a 212hp V6 and was de limited and was tuned, it could break 164mph with 200 horses, but it was geared as a high speed Highway Cruiser, I can no longer confirm this top speed as

1, I don't go to Rockingham Raceway anymore, and

2, I blew the engine :cry: 

Clarkson mentioned it in Top Gear a few years back as there was a similar list, at that time Merc came in as number 1 as most unreliable car for the ML (and a few other class cars)

I don't buy it unless it weighed 1700 pounds. 

Gerowen    1,234

I'd believe it.  Newer German luxury cars like Mercedes have a computerized air ride shock instead of a conventional fluid type, and they can run in the neighborhood of $500 each to replace (not counting labor).  I can get shock absorbers for my Dodge pickup truck with a lifetime replacement for $50 each.  That's not necessarily indicative of reliability, but the same maintenance done on each vehicle can have wildly different financial costs.

Raa    1,551

I'd have to say that while it might be accurate in terms of actual cost, it will vary depending on how the car is driven & maintained.

Having owned a few BMW's over the years, some have cost me greatly (due to previous owners neglect or abuse), while others have cost less than my dad's Mitsubishi did.

• Like 1

Draconian Guppy    13,037

are these new or previously owned?

• Like 1

Dashel    542

Cherry picked data from a service competitor, how enlightening.  Maintenance does not equal unreliable, unless you aren't doing the former.

T3X4S    4,532
On 6/9/2016 at 10:14 PM, -Razorfold said:

Doesn't have to mean its unreliable. German cars are notorious for making parts of the engine pretty difficult / complex to replace / fix. That means even simple things like a water pump replacement cost more because of the amount of work they have to do to get to the damn thing. 

True

On 6/10/2016 at 2:30 PM, jjkusaf said:

have had my Ford for 16 years.  Had a fund set aside for when I wanted to purchase a car ... paid for a '09 Infiniti in cash (sold it when I deployed) and then just recently bought a 2016 Infiniti in cash.  Have a new fund set aside for my next car...many years down the road.  Anyway, haven't had a car loan in about 14 years. :)

You do not need a car every 3-5 years .... unless you just have money to burn.

I dont know about money to burn, as I lease.  I dont like keeping them around for long.  The current G37 is the only exception.  Its 4 years old now, and time to move - when it starts having problems, it will be someone else's headache, not mine.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, adrynalyne said:

Actually, you can check out a lot of car enthusiast forums and see that many BMWs are not just expensive to fix, but unreliable. 

True.  Its bad when one of the head execs of BMW makes a comment like "we may not be as reliable as our competitors, but our customers are very loyal nonetheless" (paraphrasing from a Superfactories TV show)
My mother had an 850ci back when  it was new - if you looked at that thing wrong - something would break on the POS.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:19 PM, jjkusaf said:

So who would be the authority to give unbiased opinions on car reliability?

I can see how maintenance costs on, for example a BMW, can run up.  An oil change at my local BMW dealer is $120 ... with the option to tack on another 90 bucks for a "oil change upgrade package" ... whatever that is.

Infiniti ... I think less than 50 bucks at the dealer.

My Infiniti dealer (Grubbs Infiniti in Grapevine) wanted $150 for Mobile One.  When I told him I get Royal Purple for $55 @ Wal-mart that jackwagon's reply was "well we have to make a profit.."  $1700 to replace headlight (I did it for $350 including OSRAM HID bulbs & 6 hours labor)

10 minutes ago, Dashel said:

Cherry picked data from a service competitor, how enlightening.  Maintenance does not equal unreliable, unless you aren't doing the former.

Sorry your Pontiac didnt rate well.

My speedo says 160, never had it above 140 and never will.

Next car will have at least a 175 mph top end.  No idea what that will be though

+Gary7    7,372

Headlights and tail lights that used to cost less than 10 dollars now can run into the hundreds apiece.

sc302    1,735

FWIW, you could have a car that doesn't require major work into the 200k miles.  It would be silly to drop an otherwise reliable car at 100-120k miles just because that is how you feel.  When parts start going more than 2 times a month or perhaps a major component failure (over 1000 to replace), that is when you start looking for a replacement.  Otherwise that car is costing you nothing to run other than the gas, oil, tires, and brake changes that you have to maintain keep up on anyway.  If you can do some minor things like the back half of the exhaust, changing a belt and possibly the tensioner/idler pullies, as well as a battery every 4 years..you are ahead of the game and can help keep your repair costs low.  When reliability starts to become an issue that is when you replace it...but something should have to happen, not just because you feel it is time (if that is the case every 2-3 years feels like the time).  Saving money means making your car last...it means that your 30k car would cost you 250 a month if you kept it 10 years or 166 if you kept it 15 years...the longer you keep it the more you can stretch that money out that you put out for it.  For the most part it isn't a play toy that needs to get swapped out when you are bored, it is a tool that helps you make money by getting you to work. 

• Like 1