Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

Andrew House, the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment, has said that he was "surprised" to see Microsoft announce its next console 'Project Scorpio' at E3 given how far away it is from release.

"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time," House said, talking to The Guardian about Scorpio's reveal. "The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there's a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was. A lot of that is to do with how Apple has very cleverly and elegantly managed the 'available now' approach. So yes, that was a slight surprise to me."

"We experienced this ourselves," he continued, "when, in 2013, very much in line with our previous strategies, we announced a concept and a name for PlayStation 4, and everyone said ‘where’s the box? How dare you?!’ That was the point we realised, well, we hadn’t changed but the world around us had."

"The point of confirming the existence of PlayStation 4 Neo and the bare bones of the plan last week was about not disappointing the fan base who would obviously come to E3 with high expectations of all kinds of announcements," House said. "And from past experience, the worst thing you can do is disappoint and pull the rug away from people. That’s why we went out last week and said, yes, it does exist but don’t expect to see it at E3. I think it was the right thing to do."

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/playstation_boss_surprised_by_timing_of_project_scorpio_announcement.html

What is it with people named Andy being Apple fanboys? :rofl:

I guess we can expect the Neo announcement when they can say out next month ~ 2 months time.

• Like 1

There really isn't an event to copy Apple's "immediate gratification" strategy which lines up nicely with a buying season. GamesCom is the middle of summer, TGS is September, PSX is December...

I imagine we'll see them host another "PS Meeting" event to unveil the console, rather than any of the above venues.

Sony is highly protected by the fan base even do they messed up badly without any sort of ramification. It's good to see the XBOX console adopting better hardware at a faster rate than previous cycle and push the video game industry in the right direction with powerful machine and unified the PC platform as well.  

38 minutes ago, vcfan said:

"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time,"

just like all those games you showed at e3

Hardware isn't the same as games, so that is a pretty naive comment from you.

11 hours ago, vcfan said:

"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time,"

just like all those games you showed at e3

Which one? They've announced games before the PS4 was even released we're still waiting on :laugh:

I think the more interesting point Andrew has commented was this..

House said that one of the key motivations for PlayStation 4 Neo was specifically to prevent high-end users from abandoning the product at an earlier point than its natural eight-year lifespan. “We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

So they want this generation to last eight years again?! And the neo to help that happen? Not a chance. They either update the specs for the neo or are forced to release a PS5 early to compete with the Scorpio. The release of the Neo really won't see them pushing a new console out but for another 3 years I feel but, as bad as a decision as that is. 

Edited by Vandalsquad

11 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Hardware isn't the same as games, so that is a pretty naive comment from you.

Arguably. it makes a hell of a lot more sense to announce hardware early than software though. Ones a thing you can just pick up whenever with your monthly paycheck, the other requires significant investment 

So I don't see it as naive, more like common sense. 

HEck the beste games announcements are the ones that go "here's our new game. oh and it launches next week/month". 

37 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Arguably. it makes a hell of a lot more sense to announce hardware early than software though. Ones a thing you can just pick up whenever with your monthly paycheck, the other requires significant investment 

So I don't see it as naive, more like common sense. 

HEck the beste games announcements are the ones that go "here's our new game. oh and it launches next week/month". 

15+ months is a long time, especially when MS are saying this is the same generation and no exclusives are allowed. The risk is people hold off buying a One, or more so the One S, to wait on a far more powerful Scorpio.

XB1 sales this month in America almost dipped below 100k. After the initial rush for new hardware with the One S MS gotta hope announcing Scorpio this early isn't going to stagnate their sales.

Not to mention VR is probably going to be Scorpio exclusive as well. Adding yet another reason to wait.

1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

So they want this generation to last eight years again?! And the neo to help that happen? Not a chance. They either update the specs for the neo or are forced to release a PS5 early to compete with the Scorpio. The release of the Neo really won't see them pushing a new console out but for another 3 years I feel but, as bad as a decision as that is. 

MS said straight out that there is no more generations though. so they don't expect it to last 8, they expect it to last 30. 

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

MS said straight out that there is no more generations though. so they don't expect it to last 8, they expect it to last 30. 

Microsoft also refused to call the Xbox 360 the Xbox 2 because it would sound inferior to PS3. I seriously doubt we will never see a new console with a new name from Microsoft in the future. Which is prety much what denotes a new generation for the most part. Everntually they need buzz to counter Sony's own announcements about PS5, 6 etc.

3 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

15+ months is a long time, especially when MS are saying this is the same generation and no exclusives are allowed. The risk is people hold off buying a One, or more so the One S, to wait on a far more powerful Scorpio.

XB1 sales this month in America almost dipped below 100k. After the initial rush for new hardware with the One S MS gotta hope announcing Scorpio this early isn't going to stagnate their sales.

I don't see peopel holding off on buying a one or one s because of this. this is the choice between a high end or a normal device. like buying a cheap or expensive gaming rig. it's not marketed at the same people. most of the targets for the scorpio already has a one or a PS4 or both. It's going to be expensive, very expensive. The power differential is basically an entire generation anyway. For all intents and purpsose this IS the next generation xbox as this is the last, and first, generation xbox in a way. IT's th e last of the genearionts, but the first of a generation free xbox console. 

What will be ineterestign to see is what time limits they set on backwards support for new games after the scroption launches. At some point they have to do what they do with phones and such and say "games need to support hardware generations minimum 8 years old". 

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Microsoft also refused to call the Xbox 360 the Xbox 2 because it would sound inferior to PS3. I seriously doubt we will never see a new console with a new name from Microsoft in the future. Which is prety much what denotes a new generation for the most part. Everntually they need buzz to counter Sony's own announcements about PS5, 6 etc.

We don't know for sure the Scoprion will be called Xbox One xxx yet. 

I suspect it willbut they need to figure out their naming for this to make peopel understand what hardware games will support in the future as the first "gen" xbox one" starts to get so old making LOD models and settings for them in new games don't make any more sense. 

With a OS foundation based on windows and hardware the way it is, changign to an entirely new console that isn't xbox one compatible doesn't make sense for a long time untill x86** is replaced by an enitrely new architecture. and when such a thing happens, its because the hardware is fast enough to emulate x86  fully anyway... so it would still be compatible. in the future it wouldn't really matter anyway as it would just be a matter of compiling for both platforms, and while it didn't happen yet, digital distribution will at some point be the only method. so it would still be fully cross compatible generationless. 

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I don't see peopel holding off on buying a one or one s because of this. this is the choice between a high end or a normal device. like buying a cheap or expensive gaming rig. it's not marketed at the same people. most of the targets for the scorpio already has a one or a PS4 or both. It's going to be expensive, very expensive. The power differential is basically an entire generation anyway. For all intents and purpsose this IS the next generation xbox as this is the last, and first, generation xbox in a way. IT's th e last of the genearionts, but the first of a generation free xbox console. 

What will be ineterestign to see is what time limits they set on backwards support for new games after the scroption launches. At some point they have to do what they do with phones and such and say "games need to support hardware generations minimum 8 years old". 

Just how expensive do you think this is going to be? :huh:

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

more than the one at launch. 

More than $499? lol good luck with that MS.

but then, I already consider the current price of the one and PS4 fo be "expensive". it's not somethign you just go out and buy, it's an investment you generally save up for. at launch they where defintly in the very expensive category. I waited quite a while to get one, especially since I didn't feel the need since I had a 360 with lots of games and the one didn't have as many. 

With the Scorpio, they're aessentially launching a new generation. but it can play the full library of games already out there. quite possibly with better graphics as well. definaitely no framedrops. and for a year and a half. devs can now already make their games Scorpio ready. so I'd say informing peopel that it's coming and letting them save up is what they want. 

4 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

why ? for what you get its not bad. and you're forgetting, it's not replacing the one, it's a high end version, it's not supposed to sell to everyone, it's supposed to sell to the hardcore enthusiats, they could sell pretty well for 599 for their intended marketbefore gradually reducing the price as the Scorpion becomes the new "regular" version and it's successor is launched. 

6 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

why ? for what you get its not bad. and you're forgetting, it's not replacing the one, it's a high end version, it's not supposed to sell to everyone, it's supposed to sell to the hardcore enthusiats, they could sell pretty well for 599 for their intended marketbefore gradually reducing the price as the Scorpion becomes the new "regular" version and it's successor is launched. 

Because the market showed just how much it thinks of paying $500+ for a console. Not to mention Neo while very clearly going to be less powerful than Scorpio will still be a powerful box and will be much less than $500~600 next year whenever MS decide to put out Scorpio.

The current rumoured graphics card for Neo is 5.5 TFLOPs, but apparently downclocked for Neo (probably due to cooling). Either way the device should be announced at the next games event, probably Gamescom/Paris, and we'll have the final specs. The price for Neo is not going to be $599 though, LOL. I'd bet heavily on it not even being over $500.

Either way I invite MS to go ahead and try and sell a console at that price, will be glorious to watch if they are arrogant enough to try it. Sony PS3? Doesn't matter the Xbox S will exist then, both the PS4 AND Neo will be faster than it, so your hardcore market will be dying for a faster Xbox One by then. At $500+ though? Nah. GG pushing even more sales to Sony MS if you put your Scorpio out at that sort of price.

the market at the time was ALL the buyers of the new generation. this is NOT a replacement for the One, it's a high end version. designed for thos who did NO have a problem paying the launch price for the one. which was as I recall quite a lot. 

12 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

the market at the time was ALL the buyers of the new generation. this is NOT a replacement for the One, it's a high end version. designed for thos who did NO have a problem paying the launch price for the one. which was as I recall quite a lot. 

A very small portion of the market, hence Sony getting a massive head-start to eventually getting to 2:1 in sales. Although Kinect being forced upon everyone was the major issue there, but overall price did not help.

Never thought I'd see the day where people on Neowin start to defend $500+ for a console. Thought it was only crazy PS3 fans who tried to do that :p 

Also 6 TFLOPs by late 2017 will be low~mid end PC as is normally the case for a console release. Meaning why should you expect $500+ pricing? The Xbox One will be 4~5 year old tech by the time Scorpio releases, so Scorpio prices should have no issue hitting normal new console release prices ($400).

I'm not defending, In fact I quite clearly stated it was expensive, I'm saying it will sell at that price as well. I won't buy it at that price, probably not even 499. especially since 499 in US tranlates to the equivalent for 650 or more over here usually).

Saying they will sell, and sell well, is not the same as defending the price or sayin git's "cheap". 

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm not defending, In fact I quite clearly stated it was expensive, I'm saying it will sell at that price as well. I won't buy it at that price, probably not even 499. especially since 499 in US tranlates to the equivalent for 650 or more over here usually).

Saying they will sell, and sell well, is not the same as defending the price or sayin git's "cheap". 

Well I hope we get to see that, as I seriously doubt they will sell well at $500+. Especially the $599 you said above. I ask you to explain again why you think that sort of price is necessary? 6TFLOPs by late 2017 PC standards will be low~mid end. Why would MS need to charge $599? It's almost as if you are trying to price a 6TFLOP box now, as opposed to late 2017. The AMD RX 480 which is 5.5 TFLOP has a consumer price of $200, let alone whatever price Sony/MS could bag those chips for now with a mass order. So again, why does a 6TFLOP box late 2017 need to be $599?

Let's see what the Neo price is for this year as well. Are you expecting it to cost $500+? $499 is the absolute max I expect to see Neo at.

Graphics card of that caliber will still be 2-300 alone at that point. and you cna't compare directly to PC teraflops either.  then you slap on all the other hardware you need and comes with it and well. 

we'll see what it atcually end up at. but even at 499 I'd class it as a very expensive device. when I bought a new GT970 for around 2000NOK earlier this year, I also classed that as "very expensive". it's not something I can just go out and buy, it's an expensive investment, and for a 970 that's was cheap. 

Also, if you base the price on the current price of the One S. and consider the significantly improved horsepower. and the willingness of 4k owners to fork out money for hardware that can actually output 4k on their 4k TV's. they can basically cash in sfely without worryign about selling at a loss or cost. 

1 hour ago, Audioboxer said:

Just how expensive do you think this is going to be? :huh:

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

more than the one at launch. 

1 hour ago, Audioboxer said:

It definitely will be. Even when you factor in buying bulk or loss-leading, it will be very expensive. And you still have to add a 4K TV and whatever VR headset they support. If it were released today, you'd be looking at over £2k for the whole setup.

Which I suppose plays in nicely again for Sony. The PS4 will be much cheaper in 2017. PSVR will most likely see some form of price cut by then which puts the VR entry requirements in Sony's favour. I imagine the Neo could be close to £500, barring any major changes to specs.

IMO, if you're spending anywhere near 1k for the console, you would be a fool not to buy a gaming PC. Especially when MS is making everything cross-platform.