My first smartphone; questions about Uber/Lyft

I've been getting by just fine, thank you, for over ten years with my trusty Blackberry 8900 & T-mo PAYG Gold.  Recently I had to give up driving due to a medical condition, so I needed to get a smartphone to use Uber and Lyft.  Groupon advertised a refurb Moto E LTE for $50, and I had a 40% off coupon so got it for $30. It seems quite nice for the money. It's activated on Freedompop for now.  I don't plan to use the data for anything but taxi service.

The learning curve for first time Android (Lollipop) use seems pretty steep, but I'm gradually figuring it out.  The "box" button in the lower right seems to have multiple uses. SOmetimes it maximizes an app, sometimes it seems to make it display a smaller copy of the current screen. I'm guessing that might be related to a multiple desktop type feature.  I haven't found the online tutorials to be useful, as they show older versions of ANdroid that behave differently.

Anyhow, after reading about Lyft and Uber, I see numerous complaints about people getting bogus cc charges due to the drivers stealing their cc#s.  How can this happen? I thought you just put your cc info into the Uber website and they do the billing. How can a driver get a passenger's cc#?  Other complaints are things like having the driver no-show, forcing you to cancel the ride, and then getting cancellation fees on the account.

Can anyone explain what is the safe way to use these services?   Also, it's not clear how to get the apps. I saw two versions of the Uber app in the Google store. One said just "Uber" and the other said "Uber ad". What is the latter?  Do I get the app via Google, or download the app from  the Uber website? Uber's FAQ pages don't say. Same for Lyft. There seem to be promo codes available for each, too. Which are best?

Thanks for helping a first-time user.

13 minutes ago, kaborka said:

Anyhow, after reading about Lyft and Uber, I see numerous complaints about people getting bogus cc charges due to the drivers stealing their cc#s.  How can this happen? I thought you just put your cc info into the Uber website and they do the billing. How can a driver get a passenger's cc#?  Other complaints are things like having the driver no-show, forcing you to cancel the ride, and then getting cancellation fees on the account.

I don't think the drivers steal the cc#...  They get paid via the account and they see the balance in the app on their phones.

If the cc# actually gets stolen then someone in Lyft/Uber office might have stolen the cc# from the computer.  if this happens to you, just report to the headquarters and bank and/or credit card company.

Unless somebody has the RFID reader.

Can anyone explain what is the safe way to use these services?   Also, it's not clear how to get the apps. I saw two versions of the Uber app in the Google store. One said just "Uber" and the other said "Uber ad". What is the latter?  Do I get the app via Google, or download the app from  the Uber website? Uber's FAQ pages don't say. Same for Lyft. There seem to be promo codes available for each, too. Which are best?

Uber app is for the customer who would pay the driver for a ride.

Uber ad is for the customer who would like to have a free ride. All you do is view the ads...  I am not sure if this app would do the small fee.. I have not had experience this way before.

Which is similar to the websites with ads ..  the site owners get paid from the ads displaying on the websites. You view the site for free.

You can get either Lyft or Uber via Google app store.

• 6 months later...

True - both are available via the GPS.  (Mom first tried Uber while we were in LV two months back.)

Unlike in Austin, both Uber and Lyft have NOT been chased out of Las Vegas - if anything, it's increased the pressure on the taxi companies - which actually get it.  While headed back to the airport, our taxi driver was actually making a case for Uber - compared to a cab.  (Also, a lot of drivers ALSO drive for Uber and/or Lyft as a second/third job - especially the non-native Nevadans.  Open secret in Las Vegas, but dirty little secret elsewhere?)