Feeling all Nostalgic

I just installed the RTM Version of XP and was thinking about how I have watched windows change. My first job in IT was migrating about 200 PC's from windows 3.11 to 95 with NT4 running most of the network services...wasn't life so much simpler then ?

I mean no one expected a lot from the PC and just giving users access to the network and MS Mail (Choke.. what a product that was) make them happy. I am dreading 6 months down the line when I am scheduled to start test roll outs of XP its just so damned big and I cant think why its needed in business. I know when I put the first new desktops out in the wild all the users are going to notice is the different colour schemes.

Am I the only one what wants a simple, stable operating system from Microsoft without all this multimedia crap? I know the only time media player is going to be used it to play videos of car crashes and the like..

Well I just wondered whose out there.. I think there are a lot of people on this board who have probably not used 3.1 or DOS or appreciate its simplicity?.

Give me MS-DOS 6 and LANMAN and I will give you a network? wont be stable.. but tell me a Microsoft one what is ?.

(Sorry for ranting on but considering the 4th roll out in 4 years is getting me down)

I remember the day we had a Novell 3.12 network with dos clients at work :)

running Lotus 123 and word perfect :D

LMAO @ Novell... only time I have ever had the pleasure of using a Novell server was when I inserted a DOS boot disk and ran Gdisk 1 /Dell /All :-) ... mind you I do like NDS but its too much hassle to use it on NT

I remember being brought up on DOS... SO MUCH BETTER THAN WINDOWS.

I was creating nice .bat files to launch programs with the press of a button and added a .bat file into my autoexec so that it booted straight up into it... I never really liked Windows 3.1 AT ALL. Windows 3.1 sucked but they included a card game and minesweeper in it which got my parents hooked on Windows... now all my parents play on my computer is bloody Spider Solitaire... I swear they're addicted to it!

I miss the days of typing in loads of commands into DOS [seriously!]. Sure, for n00b's a nice GUI is needed, but they shouldn't have fazed out DOS... if only they'd patched it up so I could run Win98 program in DOS then EVERYONE would have been happy. :D

FORCING people to upgrade to Win95 was a bit monopolistic, but probably best in the long run. You've got to admit that DOS loads up a bloody lot faster than they could ever make WinXP boot up!

-mortensenj

Yeah I love the command boxes, I change the text colour to green on the NT servers so it sorta looks like possessed VAX workstation. Linux is good for that you can do anything from a term window...

I had to goto the warehouse the other day to fix a label printing system.. its an old compaq laptop running MS-DOS 5.2 and a simple BASIC program to print stock lables... some helpful fool put in the correct date... BANG went DOS...

DOS may have been a bit basic but did it ever crash...?

I think that Microsoft has made mistake after mistake with their O/S's instead of going for stability they go for the new blue theme or Windows Me's System restore....Did they ever think if they made a better O/S to start with that you would never have to use restore. When an O/S is stable then it will be a step up from DOS.

Why not make a perfect O/S? Because once ppl have it they'll never want to upgrade!

But if you remeber windows 3.1 it didn't crash as much as 95!