Tesla’s Model S can turn into a boat (kinda), Musk claims

+Mirumir

Tesla’s Model S can turn into a boat (kinda), Musk claims

Tesla CEO says electric car can float, for a little while at least

MW-EP634_tesla0_20160619181818_ZH.jpg?uu

In case you were ever wondering, Tesla Inc.’s Model S electric car will float, in a pinch, CEO Elon Musk said Sunday.

At least now we know the “S” does not stand for “sinks.”

In a series of tweets, the Tesla TSLA, +2.58%   co-founder said the “Model S floats well enough to turn it into a boat for short periods of time,” and the rotating tires can provide thrust. As proof, Musk linked to a video showing a Model S swimming through a flooded underpass in Russia.  :laugh:

Musk did note, though, that turning your $70,000 car into a boat is not recommended.

A typical Model S is actually about 1,200 pounds heavier than a comparable luxury car, but its battery pack and drive units are sealed against the elements, Musk said.

Floating isn’t the only extreme condition Tesla has prepared for...

Continued...

• Like 1
The Evil Overlord

I read the headline and had a Top Gear one liner pop up in my head

It's been towed so many times, it thinks it's a boat :p

• Like 1
Arachno 1D
21 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

It's been towed so many times, it thinks it's a boat :p

I think he means its that heavy it would make a good part of a boat ...........the anchor

• Like 1
Torolol

Did the Simpson predict this one too with its Knightboat?

kjordan2001

The new VW Beetle?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      Drivers for ride hailing apps including Uber and Lyft on strike in the U.S.
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Just ahead of Uber's initial public offering, employees of ride-hailing services in the U.S. have decided to go on strike. Lyft, Juno, Via, and Uber drivers have requested members of the public to boycott these services for the day, and have turned off their apps. They have several demands, including improved working conditions, better wages, and job security. Drivers who work in Los Angeles specifically are demanding that Uber abolish its 25% wage policy that was introduced recently and that both Uber and Lyft implement a minimum pay rate of $28 per hour or $17 per hour (minus costs) - a rule already in place in New York.

The strike is planned to last for 24 hours today, May 8, 2019, and will go on in 10 cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, San Diego, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Washington, San Francisco and Stamford. In L.A., the movement is headed by Rideshare Drivers United (RDU-LA), a Los Angeles-based association. The organization is asking the authorities to reform the ride-sharing industry by introducing a fair Drivers Bill of Rights which contains the following conditions:

a 10% commission cap transparency around deactivations the right for drivers to organize and negotiate with the companies, and community standards around traffic and emissions to ensure that the ride-hailing industry benefits the cities where it operates Similarly, the workers on strike in New York also have a set of demands. Led by the New York Taxi Workers Alliance (NYTWA), ride-hailing app drivers aim to achieve the following goals:

To stop poverty and debt in support of their national demands To secure a livable income by ending upfront pricing where passengers pay more but drivers earn less To win job security for app drivers by ending unfair deactivations in NYC To put drivers' lives before company profits Uber responded to the strike in a statement issued to The Washington Post:

This isn't the first time that Uber drivers have gone on strike to take a stand against unfair work practices. Just last year drivers in the U.K. organized a 24-hour strike calling on Uber to put an end to its deactivations, raise the fares, reduce the commissions they pay to Uber and grant them employee status. Back in 2016, Uber settled class action lawsuits in the U.S. by paying up to $100 million to its drivers and agreeing to implement a formal driver deactivation policy, among other concessions.

Source: Rideshare Drivers United, NYTWA via Engadget | Image credit: Los Angeles Times

• By Decebalvs Rex
      Hello!
      Out of boredom, a few questions struck my mind.
      I was watching a documentary on TV wich presented the NASA situation and how they developed Saturn and Apollo rockets. I always loved Space Shuttles like Atlantis, it looks amazing.
      Now the question is, if one would take for example, an F-16 fighter plane and remove the air intakes, provide those engines internal oxygen tanks for combustion, would they provide thrust in atmosphere and beyond?

This story short, would it be possible for a modified Space Shuttle like Atlantis to run on take off from an airport , fly towards the ISS and return back without a Shuttle Carrier?

Thanks in advance. 

• By Draconian Guppy
      Can't get my microsoft sidewinder mouse to work with my asus laptop, the mouse works perfectly with my desktop, also, every other button works fine in the laptop, but the wheel just won't click, anyone had any similar issues and solved them?
    • By deck
      Here's a fun one...

When I stream movies from my Win 8.1 PC to my Xbox One using Play To I only get stereo sound, even if the movie has surround sound.  Surround sound works on the Xbox for TV, Netflix and BluRay.

I haven't found info explaining why.  I am using the default audio drivers in Win 8.1 (for some stupid reason Gigabyte wants me to install a beta BIOS before installing the only available VIA audio drivers for Win 8.1; no beta BIOS for me, thank you).

My PC is is able to output to my surround sound to my 5.1 desk speakers.  Windows Media Player and VLC both do surround sound (after I turned on Speaker Fill).  Any ideas?