Cancel the Olympics?

This is not an appropriate time for games, Olympic or otherwise. We are on the brink of World Suicide III -- wiping out the human race, our children, our future, everything. Does one play games in a burning building? -- no, the first priority is to escape or put out the fire.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to escape from this planet. So we need to organize a brigade of resourceful fire-fighters.

In ancient times, the Olympics were intended to provide a respite from war. Athletic competition was a surrogate for war. Today, the Olympics are a diversion from the task of preventing war. They enable us to feel good about ourselves while the killing continues all around us. This is not helping!

In 1914, people said It couldn't happen!. But our incompetent rulers and their bought-and-paid-for politicians made war happen: These Wolves achieved the impossible: twenty million dead.

And what was the reason for this stupendous human sacrifice? -- no one knew. What was achieved? -- no one knew. They told us WW I was the "War for Democracy!". They said WW I was the "War to end all wars!" Guess what: the Wolves lied. And "We the Sheep" fell for the lies, and killed our neighbors.

What?

This is not world news... This needs to be moved to the conspiracy or just dumb ###### category.

11 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

He's just sour because his athletics team got banned for using drugs.

Please send a message to the author if you have any questions (that is if you've read the whole thing which I doubt).

Well, between, Zika Virus, unchecked violent crime and a declaration of financial crisis, I'd say maybe cancelling Rio this year isn't a bad idea.  

Well, between, Zika Virus, unchecked violent crime and a declaration of financial crisis, I'd say maybe cancelling Rio this year isn't a bad idea.  

4 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Considering the political turmoil going on in Brazil right now, it's in the best interest of each tourist to take extra precautions, for their own safety's sake.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

World War Suicide?  Little dramatic don't you think.

So, you didn't read past the second sentence, did you? :) 

How is this "real world issues" ... and not some General Discussion/Soapbox/etc?  Some dudes opinion ... and what does it even have to do with the Olympics?  At least every two years (Winter or Summer Olympics) the world is brought together for a common goal.  Too bad the politicians never take note though.

5 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

How is this "real world issues" ... and not some General Discussion/Soapbox/etc?  Some dudes opinion ... and what does it even have to do with the Olympics?  At least every two years (Winter or Summer Olympics) the world is brought together for a common goal.  Too bad the politicians never take note though.

Would be concerned about water conditions and other issues being reported in Rio.

22 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

So, you didn't read past the second sentence, did you? :) 

I read the whole post and it was nonsensical...

There actually has been less war and more peace around the world in recent times. Someone is spending to much time watching 24/7 cable news channels.

Regardless, even in bad times you don't want to cancel the Olympics. The whole point of the games is to get people around the word together to hangout, compete and to learn something about each others cultures IN PEACE and bring that experience back home.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Would be concerned about water conditions and other issues being reported in Rio.

True.  I wouldn't go this years Olympics. :)

17 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I just cannot believe they expect the athletes to swim in that water.

Don't they swim in indoor pools?

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Don't they swim in indoor pools?

Yea, but that is where the  sailing competition will be held.   Still would not want to be any where near that water.

And I guess the Zika virus is spreading around and several other issues.  Bad place for the Olympics.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Yea, but that is where the  sailing competition will be held.   Still would not want to be any where near that water.

And I guess the Zika virus is spreading around and several other issues.  Bad place for the Olympics.

I guess... China's water AND air was pretty bad and everyone survived.

On 6/20/2016 at 9:01 PM, oldtimefighter said:

There actually has been less war and more peace around the world in recent times. 

Which planet are you talking about? 

4 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Additionally:

http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

But I'm sure @Mirumir won't like the cold facts regarding Russia's losses.

Personally, I don't know why they don't just relocate it. I know it takes years for a city to be ready for the Olympics but I'm am sure that another first world country could get more ready in the time left than Brazil will be when it's time.

9 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Please explain the causes of the European Refugee Crisis when two million people left their homes and fled to Europe in one of the biggest human migrations in human history.

According to the UNHCR, the number of forcibly displaced people worldwide reached 59.5 million at the end of 2014, the highest level since World War II