Boston Dynamics Robotics - Updates

Google owns these guys, but looks like they are looking to sell them, i wonder why? Maybe too much of a money pit, or they took all the patents and are just selling the people and hardware.

These guys continue to amaze me, but for goodness sake stop making them fall over or slip on banana skins! It's like none of them have ever watched Terminator 

Taking over the world will be a team effort of Google's Larry Page and his buddy Elon Musk.

Page also once said he'd leave a chunk of his fortune to SpaceX for exploration.

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, DocM said:

Can you even imagine what they aren't showing us yet? Or if they had a BattleBot?? :shiftyninja:

Hollywood has shown us everything already.

In the future, the bots will police the common people and serve the rich.

Elysium is a great movie :) 

The story here is the "Artificial intelligence" and what we have not been shown. The basic robotic capabilities of the unit were achieved more than a decade ago...including balance. They did put on a show for those not aware....there is definitely a worrisome capability behind closed doors with an "ai" learning capability, which if not complimented by a strong fail-safe, could become an "issue".  :s

One of the issues which can be very troubling....is swarm behavior...ie.  20 or 30 of these units ( could be weaponized ) in a compound or secure area. An intruder enters...no dogs, just a swarm of these....:s

This could also be carried over to combat zones operating on "laser tagged" objects of interest... and the list goes on.

I am not a fan of "ai" unless extreme fail-safes have been implemented...ie.  "robot laws"

1 hour ago, Draggendrop said:

One of the issues which can be very troubling....is swarm behavior...

>

This could also be carried over to combat zones operating on "laser tagged" objects of interest... and the list goes on.

Tagging also as in a cloud of sticky targeting nanoparticles dropped over an enemy formation away from the ambush zone, applied to foilage to rub off etc. The bot swarms move on the zone, look for the particles and attack anything above ground level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

Tagging also as in a cloud of sticky targeting nanoparticles dropped over an enemy formation away from the ambush zone, applied to foilage to rub off etc. The bot swarms move on the zone, look for the particles and attack anything above ground level.

I can actually see this being implemented in the near future, or a variation of.....whole new shift in the making, coordinated with other platforms.

:s

2 hours ago, Draggendrop said:

One of the issues which can be very troubling....is swarm behavior...

>

Remember AMEE, the military catbot in Red Planet? Boston Dynamics has a catbot that can run.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 3

Ironic that we are talking of "ai" here, just saw this pop up on twitter...

I guess our poker face won't work now....oooops...AMEE and poker...ouch!

Very interesting, but can we please remember that these robots have next to nothing to do with genera purposel AI at the moment.
The worst thing a balancing algorithm in revolt will do is tip over the robot.

But I definitely agree that if these systems were ever married to any kind of general purpose AI we got to be very careful indeed!

The core of such an AI may already exist in the form of the very compact NVIDIA DGX-1 Deep Learning System AI supercomputer. 

The version known as NVIDIA DRIVE PX2 is used in the new Tesla HW2 Autodrive system, and is being implemented by other automakers.

Their DGX SATURNV is 125 DGX-1's.