Quick poll on the UK's decision to leave the EU

Remain 48% Leave 52%  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the decision for the UK to leave the European Union?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Eric said:

That's odd, then. I don't how they would have come up with the data other than aggregating opinion polls.

I suspect some newspaper has made it up to try and start an argument rather than accepting the result for what it is and getting on with things?

4 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

There were no exit polls for this vote.

I was fully Remain. And am pretty ticked off now, especially when you look at the votes compared to other data like educational background and age. I need to get a new haircut because i like to look pretty when i get ######ed.

Then again i live in Scotland, so eff knows what's going to happen here now!

Hadrian's Wall is going to get a spruce up ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Hadrian's Wall is going to get a spruce up ;)

Who'd have thought Scotland and London would suddenly be best mates? haha

• Like 2

I am genuinely embarrassed to be called British today.
Both campaigns have been negatively run, however.

We as a nation have voted for a step back 60 years, it's people voting for 'the way it used to be' - when beer was cheap, measurements were in imperial and everyone was white and foreigners were things you tutted while looking for a shop that sells proper English food and on holiday.
When Britain was and empire, and won the world cup and World War II and people sang royal Britannia.

Here's a reality check, the world has moved on, and that should be embraced.

The issues we have in Britain are primarily of our own making, and we should be forcing our government to change things that needed - NHS, Tax avoidance, bank regulation.

But no, instead we'll blame the EU, because its much easier to blame something on someone else than fix it yourself right?

Leave stated that 54% of laws were passed in Brussels, simply not true in the last 4 years I believe the actual figure is 9% (and even they are not LAW in the UK unless the government votes on it)

Leave - £350 million can be poured back into the NHS, until apparently this was found to be not actually true (a 'mistake' I believe the words were from Nigel Farage)

Leave - we can trade with the EU tariff free because we're the 5th largest (*Edit - since the huge drop in sterling today, now the 6th) economy in the world - well maybe, but you don't KNOW that.

If we do want free trade we will very likely need to keep the freedom of movement, so all that stuff about controlling our boarders is likely totally incorrect too.

For the last 40 years we've had free trade, free movement of people and it's been a good thing, a progressive thing, a modern world thing.

The EU is not perfect, I'm not suggesting it is, but the best place to be to fix something as at the table, not out of the room.

So, to the leave voters, congratulations, you won you 'took your country back','little England' is now yours, and for the first time in 34 years its really not somewhere I wish to be.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, grunger106 said:

We as a nation have voted for a step back 60 years, it's people voting for 'the way it used to be' - when beer was cheap, measurements were in imperial and everyone was white and foreigners were things you tutted while looking for a shop that sells proper English food and on holiday.
When Britain was and empire, and won the world cup and World War II and people sang royal Britannia.

The issues we have in Britain are primarily of our own making, and we should be forcing our government to change things that needed - NHS, Tax avoidance, bank regulation.

But no, instead we'll blame the EU, because its much easier to blame something on someone else than fix it yourself right?

Leave stated that 54% of laws were passed in Brussels, simply not true in the last 4 years I believe the actual figure is 9% (and even they are not LAW in the UK unless the government votes on it)

Leave - £350 million can be poured back into the NHS, until apparently this was found to be not actually true (a 'mistake' I believe the words were from Nigel Farage)

Leave - we can trade with the EU tariff free because we're the 5th largest (*Edit - since the huge drop in sterling today, now the 6th) economy in the world - well maybe, but you don't KNOW that.

If we do want free trade we will very likely need to keep the freedom of movement, so all that stuff about controlling our boarders is likely totally incorrect too.

For the last 40 years we've had free trade, free movement of people and it's been a good thing, a progressive thing, a modern world thing.

The EU is not perfect, I'm not suggesting it is, but the best place to be to fix something as at the table, not out of the room.

So, to the leave voters, congratulations, you won you 'took your country back','little England' is now yours, and for the first time in 34 years its really not somewhere I wish to be.

What a brilliant post.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Back on their downward spiral?  The USD has been on a tear in the recent years....and has been doing nothing rising since its low point in Apr '08  :laugh::laugh::laugh: (the financial crisis).  So...what "back on their downward spiral".  

This one:

Spoiler

dxy2016.jpg

7 minutes ago, John. said:

A YUGE spruce up ;)

Actually it probably won't. We'll close the borders so there's now no-one to do that manual labour lol

10 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

What is it? 

The EuroBund is the EU equivalent to US ten-year Treasuries.

It runs the same length of term as well.  Due to that, it is as close to an official measure of relative strength between the two currencies - as determined by their respective issuing agencies.

Like Treasuries, EuroBunds are term-defined sovereign debt (non-callable, in other words) and - like Treasuries - non-taxable to EU citizens.

Treasuries (even ten-year Treasuries) still have yield, as their coupon rates are above zero; however, that can't be said about the same-length EuroBund - it has a NEGATIVE yield.  In short, if you invest a thousand euros in EuroBunds of ten years, you won't even get back all you invested. (Hence my comment about the "knife in the back" - and why Janet Yellen has tried to avoid the Fed going sub-zero on Treasuries.)

Further, like Treasuries, ten-year EuroBunds are the investment of choice for the conservative (if not the chicken) EU-based investor (the non-rich, in other words) - however, why in the world would you invest in anything that doesn't pay out what you invest?  (Treasuries may be taxable, but they still have a yield; the EuroBund no longer does.)

I think the benefits of being in the EU outweighed the cons.

It seems to me it was more of "I want to vote for it, just because I can, even though I don't understand it".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The EuroBund is the EU equivalent to US ten-year Treasuries.

It runs the same length of term as well.  Due to that, it is as close to an official measure of relative strength between the two currencies - as determined by their respective issuing agencies.

Like Treasuries, EuroBunds are term-defined sovereign debt (non-callable, in other words) and - like Treasuries - non-taxable to EU citizens.

Treasuries (even ten-year Treasuries) still have yield, as their coupon rates are above zero; however, that can't be said about the same-length EuroBund - it has a NEGATIVE yield.  In short, if you invest a thousand euros in EuroBunds of ten years, you won't even get back all you invested. (Hence my comment about the "knife in the back" - and why Janet Yellen has tried to avoid the Fed going sub-zero on Treasuries.)

Further, like Treasuries, ten-year EuroBunds are the investment of choice for the conservative (if not the chicken) EU-based investor (the non-rich, in other words) - however, why in the world would you invest in anything that doesn't pay out what you invest?  (Treasuries may be taxable, but they still have a yield; the EuroBund no longer does.)

Are you talking about a bond issued by the Bundesbank? What's the ISIN?

13 minutes ago, grunger106 said:

x1000000

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grunger106 said:

It's like you climbed inside me, took my thoughts and wrote them out far better than i ever could!

I'm hoping the Scottish now take the lead and remove themselves from this shambles.

Just now, Mirumir said:

Are you talking about a bond issued by the Bundesbank?

EuroBunds are issued by the European Central Bank (ECB) - the Bundesbank, if I'm not mistaken, is the GERMAN equivalent to the US Treasury (or the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer), and as such does not issue Euro-wide bonds officially.  You can trade EuroBunds in Germany (and they are, in fact traded there); however, the authority derives from Brussels - not Bonn (or Berlin, for that matter).

Sovereign debt (or ANY debt with a negative coupon rate) means that you don't get back all you invest - why would anyone do that?  The skewing in favor of the issuer is as obvious as a knife in the back, and sovereign debt is supposed to be the refuge of choice for conservative investors (the non-wealth class); however, the EuroBund just mucked that up.

18 minutes ago, grunger106 said:

Free trade isn't inherently good or bad. What matters is your country's interests. It could have been an advantageous concept 40 years ago and deteriorated into a burden over the years.

Anyways, none of those things are going anywhere.

The flow of goods and people will continue. A British tourist won't ever need a visa to go to France or Germany and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

This one:

Reveal hidden contents

dxy2016.jpg

aaah.  So you consider 1 year as downward "spiral" ... ok :)  If you go back even two years you'll see that the DXY has been around 92-100 range (after a huge jump from the 70 range)... normal adjustments/conditions and certainly by no means indicative of a downward "spiral".  

Spoiler

Capture.JPG

Yep...sure looks like a downward spiral to me.  Your anti-US statements get nauseating .. especially when they're put into a thread which really isn't about the US.

• Like 2

Both Scotland and Northern Ireland wanting out of the UK now. London looking at "Special measures". JP Morgan out as well... hot damn this is messy.

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

aaah.  So you consider 1 year as downward "spiral" ... ok :)  If you go back even two years you'll see that the DXY has been around 92-100 range (after a huge jump from the 70 range)... normal adjustments/conditions and certainly by no means indicative of a downward "spiral".  

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.JPG

Yep...sure looks like a downward spiral to me.  Your anti-US statements get nauseating .. especially when they're put into a thread which really isn't about the US.

Ok...

Spoiler

DXY01.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Ok...

Hide contents

DXY01.jpg

Which is why I said it has been on a tear the past couple of years (well since '08).  Now you're just trying to be difficult...certainly not a continuation of a downward "spiral". :)

9 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.JPG

jjk - the inspiration for the EU itself was to counterweight the United States; and especially in terms of trade.  The same has, in fact, held true for ALL these multinational alliances - including, if not especially, Airbus Industrie.

JP Morgan - an American (US-based, in fact) financial institution (named after the US-based founder - James Pierpont Morgan; Morgan and FDR butted heads during the Great Depression).

While Morgan has a not-insignificant present in Europe, Citi has a bigger presence than JP Morgan; heck, Bank of America does as well (via Merrill Lynch).

I have nothing against wanting to counterweight the United States - to each their own; however, flubbing it up is Europe's own fault.

5 minutes ago, John. said:

Nasdaq sees worst drop since 2011!

Probably time to pick up some "discounted" stocks...or give it a few days. :)

So... since the Brexit was announced...

The pound has plummeted to a 30 year low
Japanese stock market has crashed 8% and suspended trading
Already a push for another Scottish independence
Calls for an Irish reunification referendum
Far-right nationalists across Europe now calling for referendums and the demise of the EU
Hundreds of UK pension funds underwater
FTSE is expected to open 10% down (the bankers knocked 8% off in the 2007 financial crash, so this is big)
German DAX market expected to open 10% down
HSBC is worth £10bn less since yesterday
S&P has announced that UK now likely to lose its AAA credit rating
In two hours (as of 7am) the UK economy has lost over £255bn, the equivalent of 40 years' worth of EU contributions
The British Prime Minister has resigned

JP Morgan announced UK exit for all business

22 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Which is why I said it has been on a tear the past couple of years (well since '08).  Now you're just trying to be difficult...certainly not a continuation of a downward "spiral". :)

I'll PM you when DXY hits a new low.

15 minutes ago, John. said:

Nasdaq sees worst drop since 2011!

There's an opinion that the upward ride from 2011 was fueled by the depreciating dollar. So when the dollar surged today, the U.S. stock market experienced a currency evaluation correction. In other words, since the currency has strengthened, the assets which are priced in it, depreciated. Which is the reason why the price of commodities fell too today.