• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Could this be the most beautiful picture on the internet ?

adrynalyne    12,304
On June 25, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Gary7 said:

Cars today do not have frames JJk is correct.

Unibody != car without frame. 

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, adrynalyne said:

Unibody != car without frame. 

I know this.

adrynalyne    12,304
1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

I know this.

Then you know you are incorrect to say cars do not have frames. They do not have separate  frames from the body. 

+Gary7    7,372
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Then you know you are incorrect to say cars do not have frames. They do not have separate  frames from the body. 

Then so was jjk

adrynalyne    12,304
7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Then so was jjk

Is that how you measure your success by throwing someone else under the bus?

Also he didn't say that. 

Jim K    13,629

Not sure how I was wrong.  Cars are mostly unibodies now ... trucks and other larger vehicles typically have frames...though I believe a lot of the smaller SUVs (like the Ford Explorer's Escapes) are also unibodies.  That wasn't really the point though ... the point I was trying to make is that cars are much safer now because everything around the passenger compartment is fairly crushable (i.e. not rigid) thus dissipates all that energy that occupants used to absorb.  

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, jjkusaf said:

Not sure how I was wrong.  Cars are mostly unibodies now ... trucks and other larger vehicles typically have frames...though I believe a lot of the smaller SUVs are also unibodies.  That wasn't really the point though ... the point I was trying to make is that cars are much safer now because everything around the passenger compartment is fairly crushable (i.e. not rigid) thus dissipates all that energy that occupants used to absorb.  

I said that modern cars do not have a frame just as you referred to. But the nit picker has to nit pick any possible way that I can be wrong. So OK  adrynalyne I was wrong unibody=frame/

adrynalyne    12,304
3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I said that modern cars do not have a frame just as you referred to. But the nit picker has to nit pick any possible way that I can be wrong. So OK  adrynalyne I was wrong unibody=frame/

Glad you could admit your mistake. Because modern cars DO have frames, they simply are not separate from the body nor full frames as cars of yesteryear. 

I would be be nitpicking only if you had been correct to begin with. 

+Gary7    7,372
3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Glad you could admit your mistake. Because modern cars DO have frames, they simply are not separate from the body nor full frames as cars of yesteryear. 

I would be be nitpicking only if you had been correct to begin with. 

I was correct they have no frame like back in the 60's

adrynalyne    12,304
4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I was correct they have no frame like back in the 60's

Goalpost moved. Congrats!

That is NOT what you originally said. You said NO frame. Not no frame like....

Yes frames have changed a lot since then. On that we agree and find common ground. 

+Gary7    7,372
On 6/25/2016 at 0:15 AM, jjkusaf said:

huh?  Cars are by far safer now than they ever were.  You don't want "rigid" frames ... because you take all of the impact.

Read, I agreed with this.

adrynalyne    12,304
3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Read, I agreed with this.

So do I. It doesn't say 'no frame'. 

sc302    1,740
49 minutes ago, Nik L said:

From what I understand of @TEXAS - he can afford whichever he chooses.  So I'd write it off as taste over envy ;)

I'm classless, I'm crass, I love what look like American muscle cars but are really road-cars with aggressive body kits ;)

Affording one car is easy.  Affording 2 or 3 cars is a different story.

Circaflex    3,564
6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

According to this link, there still has to be some kind of frame as the wheels do not connect to a uni-body But the source maybe wrong

http://myautomobileguide.blogspot.com/p/automobile-chassis-and-frame.html

From your source:

Car Chassis

The main structure of a car is known as chassis. Car chassis functions as a support for the different car parts. Automotive parts like engine, suspension & steering mechanism braking system, auto wheels, axle assemblies and transmission are mounted on the car chassis. 

A frame is the main structure of the chassis of a motor vehicle. All other components fasten to it; a term for this is design is body-on-frame construction.
In 1920, every motor vehicle other than a few cars based on motorcycles had a frame. Since then, nearly all cars have shifted to unit-body construction, while nearly all trucks and buses still use frames.

sc302    1,740

As I am working under my wife's 2015 explorer as I type this, I can assure you the vehicle has a frame. 

I I am staring at the frame rails right now. 

• Like 3

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, Circaflex said:

Since then, nearly all cars have shifted to unit-body construction,

The key word is nearly

Ladder Chassis: Ladder chassis is considered to be one of the oldest forms of automotive chassis or automobile chassis that is still used by most of the SUVs till today. As its name connotes, ladder chassis resembles a shape of a ladder having two longitudinal rails inter linked by several lateral and cross braces.

Jim K    13,629
16 minutes ago, sc302 said:

As I am working under my wife's 2015 explorer as I type this, I can assure you the vehicle has a frame. 

I I am staring at the frame rails right now. 

You're right.  I meant to say the Ford Escape ... typed Explorer instead (since I have one as well).  Doh.

sc302    1,740
1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

You're right.  I meant to say the Ford Escape ... typed Explorer instead (since I have one as well).  Doh.

The current explorer (mine) is built on a unibody frame.  just because it is a unibody, does not mean it doesn't have a frame.  the body and frame are one on the unibody vs body on frame the body and frame are separate...they still have frame rails on the bottom of the car on a unibody frame.  unibody frames are more ridged than a body on frame vehicle...lighter weight, blah blah...just watch the video below.  That isn't to say there aren't crumple zones on cars (look it up), it just means that the vehicle is more ridged and can take more abuse while using less material to do so. 

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,232

How did a discussion about rigid vs crumple frames turn into "all modern cars are unibody"...

• Like 1

adrynalyne    12,304
Just now, HawkMan said:

How did a discussion about rigid vs crumple frames turn into "all modern cars are unibody"...

Someone making things up. 

murph1012    0

Gas Monkey Garage can fix that!  

:woot:

+Human.Online    8,535
13 hours ago, sc302 said:

Affording one car is easy.  Affording 2 or 3 cars is a different story.

Which, from previous posts I assume he can.

+Mirumir    5,635
14 hours ago, Stoffel said:

I don't get it!

Some people take pleasure from other people's misfortune or tragedy, especially when an incident was caused by stupidity.

+JHBrown    13,217
On 6/24/2016 at 7:16 PM, T3X4S said:

A GT500 spins out, hits a Tundra and ends up against another trailer park Ferrari.

Maybe there is a god.

No, wait - forget I said that - if there was a god, it would end with the driver engulfed in flames.

Capture.JPG

You've got serious issues my friend. Engulfed in flames because they are Mustangs? And now a $60,000 GT500 is consider a "trailer park Ferrari", okay dude. I find it awkward, and bizarre, that someone with an Infiniti(overpriced Nissan), is always ragging on people based on shortsighted stereotypes from their little neck of the woods.

:pinch:

• Like 1