64% of 18-24 year olds didn't vote in the Brexit poll

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Oh yeah, but that extends to everyone that voted and not singling out the 18-24 year olds.

I'd Agree - but I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that either?

10 hours ago, Defcon said:

There are so many articles on every news website about how 'the old have destroyed the future for the young' etc,

0980f6170e83760942a218017207071c.pngc9985e36d62a7fbe477506c6ae529b7d.png

10 hours ago, Defcon said:

There are so many articles on every news website about how 'the old have destroyed the future for the young' etc, I wish some of those reporters had actually bothered to ask the complaining youngsters if they actually voted and if not to STFU.

However of the 18-24 age group who did care enough to vote a massive 75% wanted to remain in the EU, if its true only 36% of that age group voted then that is disappointing as we could have easily stayed in the EU, which i personally believe is better for the younger generations.

11 hours ago, wakjak said:

Nothing has happened yet. UK has not left EU nor have they voted officially to do so.

As far as I am aware, a large vote last Thursday was the official vote.

8 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I'd Agree - but I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that either?

Stoffel's original quote was "If this is true then they got what they deserve", assuming that the "they" he's referring to is the 18-24 year olds. My point is they're abstinence from voting is just as bad as those who had no clue which way to vote but voted anyway. 

If they outcome of this referendum wasn't favourably, you can simply blame those that didn't vote. 

• Like 2

some say borris just wanted to leave so the euro terms could be revised and then join again.

where i live all we got was leave leaflets through the door, nothing about staying in. i voted in.

3 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

The public voted, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing. Those in power still have to submit Article 50 and there are some that believe it can be blocked (SNP for example believe they may be able to block this).

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Stoffel's original quote was "If this is true then they got what they deserve", assuming that the "they" he's referring to is the 18-24 year olds. My point is they're abstinence from voting is just as bad as those who had no clue which way to vote but voted anyway. 

If they outcome of this referendum wasn't favourably, you can simply blame those that didn't vote. 

Apologies I missed that, yes it is just as bad and if people aren't happy and want someone to blame then sure - those groups are your first stop.

However I think all this time and effort spend moaning about the outcome, signing silly petitions and talking about the older generation robbing us of XYZ would be much better spent now focusing on how to move this country forward. We live in a democracy and agree with it or not, the majority has spoken. 

• Like 2

Sadly like most data that figure was a guess from Sky News and passed around like Chinese whispers and not trumpeted as fact. Again never let facts get in the way of a good rant !!! :(

12 hours ago, Defcon said:

~80% of the 55+ age group did. This isn't surprising, young people are apathetic when it comes to politics. They want to make their opinions heard but not when it really matters?

I saw these numbers on a UK website analyzing the polls. If they are true then the outcome shouldn't be surprising at all. What were they doing - too busy with FB and Twitter to actually vote? So now they can spend more time on social media whining about it?

FWIW I think the Brexit decision is a disaster and just the harbinger of bigger things to come since the world seems to be giving in to FUD, but this does explain why it happened.

you actually think those votes mean anything? When will people learn that their opinions don't matter. As long as it goes in plan with the elite, nothing else matters. This is all done on purpose to crash the market.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skiver said:

The public voted, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing. Those in power still have to submit Article 50 and there are some that believe it can be blocked (SNP for example believe they may be able to block this).

Apologies I missed that, yes it is just as bad and if people aren't happy and want someone to blame then sure - those groups are your first stop.

However I think all this time and effort spend moaning about the outcome, signing silly petitions and talking about the older generation robbing us of XYZ would be much better spent now focusing on how to move this country forward. We live in a democracy and agree with it or not, the majority has spoken. 

Yeah and I think that is what's annoying me the most! Decision has been made....whether we like it or not, we need to get on with it!

Maybe Robert A. Heinlein had it right: no Federal Service; military, Peace Corps, role as a first responder, whatever to contribute other than getting high and being a professional student, no vote. Skin in the game.

Edited by DocM

1 hour ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Official, but not a legally binding vote, unlike a general election where the result is the result, the EU Referendum is basically a glorified opinion poll, it's just telling the government what the public want, the government doesn't have to actually act on the result, political suicide not to though.

My hope it Sturgeon will step in a veto it and/or there'll be a 2nd referendum, it was too close to act on rashly and quickly.

The petition for a 2nd vote has already reached over 3 million signatures (10% of the total votes cast), which is not an insignificant amount.

7 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Official, but not a legally binding vote, unlike a general election where the result is the result, the EU Referendum is basically a glorified opinion poll, it's just telling the government what the public want, the government doesn't have to actually act on the result, political suicide not to though.

My hope it Sturgeon will step in a veto it and/or there'll be a 2nd referendum, it was too close to act on rashly and quickly.

The petition for a 2nd vote has already reached over 3 million signatures (10% of the total votes cast), which is not an insignificant amount.

I've signed the petition for England to play again against Iceland tonight if we don't win.

Regarding that Petition mate, read the following: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/06/25/whoopsie-70-of-parliament-petition-signatures-demanding-another-eu-referendum-dont-live-in-the-u-k/

5 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

So the vote didn't go the way you had hoped so now you and 3 million others want a do-over?  Is that the lesson you were all taught in school?  You normally don't get to keep voting until the vote goes your way.  I realize this is a life changing change for the residents of the UK but whats done is done. 

If the referendum isn't binding and the results are only an opinion, you shouldn't even need a second referendum, right?  Just your petition should be enough right? Your parliament still needs to enact it so persuade to defy the results of the vote.  I'd think that would  pretty much put an end to the democratic process if they actually listened to the minority. Hate to say it but its a lose-lose scenario for the UK right now.  

12 hours ago, DocM said:

I don't see this as a problem.

The connections between the frontal lobe and rest of the brain often aren't complete until the mid-20's, which is why decision making and impulsivity in younger adults can be, shall we say, questionable at best. 

Raise the voting to 25.  

The conservative dream.

The first time I was able to vote, a presidential election was happening and I excitedly watched the debates, researched the candidates, reviewed all issues, etc... just as many of my friends at that time similarly did. My decision wasn't impulsive at all. Your view of the younger generations blindly voting for democrats is no different than old farts looking for the "R" column and going down the line, checking every one regardless of who they are.

21 minutes ago, John. said:

I've signed the petition for England to play again against Iceland tonight if we don't win.

Regarding that Petition mate, read the following: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/06/25/whoopsie-70-of-parliament-petition-signatures-demanding-another-eu-referendum-dont-live-in-the-u-k/

Yeh I've seen that...77,000 removed so far, being 2% of the petition sigs, a number yes, but not massive. And you can still pettion if your an ex-pat, those would be from outside the UK, so probably not a massive deal.

14 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

So the vote didn't go the way you had hoped so now you and 3 million others want a do-over?  Is that the lesson you were all taught in school?  You normally don't get to keep voting until the vote goes your way.  I realize this is a life changing change for the residents of the UK but whats done is done. 

If the referendum isn't binding and the results are only an opinion, you shouldn't even need a second referendum, right?  Just your petition should be enough right? Your parliament still needs to enact it so persuade to defy the results of the vote.  I'd think that would  pretty much put an end to the democratic process if they actually listened to the minority. Hate to say it but its a lose-lose scenario for the UK right now.  

Of course, with a vote as close as it was, and the majority of leave votes coming from the older generations which will be impacted far less by this in the long term, of course I want a "do-over". if it has been 60-40 or 70-30, I'd accept I'm in the minority and as much as I disagree I'd lump it, but it wasn't, it was 52-48.

And as has already been discussed for some stupid reason a number of younger people didn't vote, for that I call them stupid.

I also feel like with the Scottish independence Referendum the vote should have been given to 16+ years old.

This was a vote that shapes the future of our country for the next 20-30 maybe even 50-100 years.

It's not a general election where you can just change it again in 4 years.

As such the younger generations are far more affected by it (exactly why the vote was given to them in Scotland), and it needs to be considered more before anything is set in stone.

That age group is just flat out brain dead anyway no matter about the "connections between the frontal lobe and rest of the brain"

As already stated, if they can't vote through Facebook or Twitter, might as well not even think about it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

As already stated, if they can't vote through Facebook or Twitter, might as well not even think about it.

That is going to be in my signature, I mean seriously

15 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

That age group is just flat out brain dead anyway no matter about the "connections between the frontal lobe and rest of the brain"

And those that are 40+ don't get that the generation below need or want. See it's easy to generalise. ;)

philcuicks, I understand you are upset with the vote but real life doesn't offer do-overs. I am more and more of the thought the older generations did in fact think about the future and for the younger generations in their vote. Getting out now will put the UK in a very strong position a few years from now when the EU collapses completely.

24 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

As such the younger generations are far more affected by it (exactly why the vote was given to them in Scotland), and it needs to be considered more before anything is set in stone.

Trouble is though that everyone had an equal opportunity to vote on Thursday. If you didn't vote, shut up. If you did vote and it's not gone in your favour then there's nothing you can do. We have to make the best of the opportunity we've been given, and that's far more important than raking the coals of the result.

2 hours ago, Soldiers33 said:

you actually think those votes mean anything? When will people learn that their opinions don't matter. As long as it goes in plan with the elite, nothing else matters. This is all done on purpose to crash the market.

Pretty much my thining.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Experience thats what we older generation have and you sound very ungrateful and bitter over our input on a country we have shaped and guided more than you and your generation will ever understand.Dont like it go find somewhere in the EU to take your sorry ass.......

32 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

philcuicks, I understand you are upset with the vote but real life doesn't offer do-overs. I am more and more of the thought the older generations did in fact think about the future and for the younger generations in their vote. Getting out now will put the UK in a very strong position a few years from now when the EU collapses completely.

I'm sorry, but they really didn't think about the younger generations. You may well have done, and if that's what you generally thought was best for you and younger then I respect your for that, and there are plenty of leave voters who had valid reason to want to leave, I even know a few and their reasons where fine and justified for them.

However too much (and you can see it in the news today with the  xenophobia already coming out just a few days after) was all down to hatred and spite and people being mis-lead, not saying remain didn't tell lies, I'm sure they did, but leaves were far more blatant.

And yes I'm sure the England will regain it's standing in the world (not saying the UK as it won't be, Scotland and NI will leave), we are the 5th largest economy, I have no doubt we'll survive and do the British thing of making the best of it.

But it won't be better, we as a country do not have the ability to sustain ourselves as a sole country, we need imports and being out of the EU will make that more difficult.

Real life offers plenty of do-overs, are you telling me everything you've ever failed  at or has gone wrong you've just gone oh well and given up, no you try again, and you keep going until you succeed.

30 minutes ago, John. said:

Trouble is though that everyone had an equal opportunity to vote on Thursday. If you didn't vote, shut up. If you did vote and it's not gone in your favour then there's nothing you can do. We have to make the best of the opportunity we've been given, and that's far more important than raking the coals of the result.

And that's fair enough, they can;t complain, As I said those who didn't vote I think are stupid.

But I did vote.

14 minutes ago, Arachno 1D said:

Experience thats what we older generation have and you sound very ungrateful and bitter over our input on a country we have shaped and guided more than you and your generation will ever understand.Dont like it go find somewhere in the EU to take your sorry ass.......

So we've just gone to insulting people now and telling them to leave just because they don't agree with you, how childish and not old of you.

In fact I'm not at all bitter, just frustrated with a result that I believe is the wrong decision, I appreciate what my parents and the older generation have done, they've fought for a free UK and Europe in WW2, my granddad served and I couldn't be more proud of him, my mum is a nurse and has helped countless people in hospital, I'm very grateful of the older generations contributions to the country, they have made the UK what it is, including forming the EU and joining it.

But both my parents voted to remain as they believed it was the right thing, I'm generalising when I say the older generations, just because of the percentage differences in the vote split, there are plenty of older people who wanted to remain.

But enough didn't to win, and that will now have a far bigger impact on those of us who have to live and work with it for the extra 50 years.

If you want to talk experience what about the experience of all the experts in finance, business and many other fields that all supported remain with very few supporting leave.

Most of them will be older from an older generation than I am.

So yes I'm frustrated, yes I think there should be more consideration as the vote was so close, but that doesn't mean I'm ungrateful to the contributions for older generations have made to the UK.

Edited by philcruicks