Artificial intelligence has mastered painting

Artificial intelligence has mastered painting

A smartphone app called Prisma has been taking 10 post-Soviet nations by storm, reaching the No. 1 spot in app stores in record time.

At first glance, the software does nothing special: It's a collection of image filters that make photos look like paintings.

But the technology is far more complex and troubling: It uses artificial intelligence to completely "repaint" images in any of 20 preset manners, taking a major step toward making painting technique even more irrelevant than it has already been rendered by contemporary art.

Prisma is altogether more clever.

It's a consumer implementation of techniques  that use so-called convolutional neural networks - a type of artificial intelligence that, when "trained" on a series of images, can "learn" certain stylistic features and apply them to a different image - say, a photograph.

Until last year, only humans could separate style and technique from content in a painting.

The algorithms do not apply filters to a photo - they only use its content as guidance for new images produced with the features "learned" from Picasso, Van Gogh or Munch.

Continued...

Incredible AI app can ‘repaint’ your photos, make them look like they were composed by famous artists

Have You Tried Prisma Yet? This App Transforms Photos Into Paintings In The Style Of Famous Artists Using AI

Prisma uses AI to turn your photos into graphic novel fodder double quick

Russian photo app Prisma makes splash, woos investors

fullsizerender-5.jpg?w=738

fullsizerender-4.jpg?w=680&h=680

prisma-1200x0.jpg

Get Prisma @ iTunes

http://prisma-ai.com/

A version for Android is coming next month.

24 minutes ago, FiB3R said:

Sounds good, but the results still look like digital filters applied to photographs.

Those are not the best examples, I agree :) 

Still, it's quiet impressive and I'm gonna add links for download now.

• 4 weeks later...

Prisma is now out on Android!

Turn Every Photo into Art Using Artificial Intelligence

Prisma transforms your photos into works of art using the styles of famous artists: Van Gogh, Picasso, Levitan, as well as world famous ornaments and patterns. A unique combination of neural networks and artificial intelligence helps you turn memorable moments into timeless art pieces.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Looking at the results, I can't see how is this better or different from PC applications or Photoshop plugins that have been doing this for more that a decade?

The effort to make such a thing is appreciable, but based on the photos I have seen, it is not even remotely comparable to any kind of a human painting style. To me, its an app that divides a photo into a number of polygons and adds a different colour & texture to each one.

I like this app for two reasons:

1) it can turn a really bad, ugly, or an out-of-focus photo into a gem;

2) its potential for creativity (post-processing).

After I had installed the app for the first time, I spent almost an hour playing and experimenting with it by loading a bunch of old photos into my phone and applying different styles to them.