• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which version is recommended?

sc302    1,725

I think I ran hyper v once on my pro systems....

9 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

If he upgrades MS is going to upgrade him to Pro. That is how it works.

What part of Free don't you understand?

But did that really answer his first question?  You are making your recommendation on cost vs what is needed....I am merely suggesting that he needs Home as a minimum requirement and Pro is not needed based on what he wants to do.

That being said, and to make you feel better, go with what is free and get the Pro.

• Like 1

xendrome    5,421
1 minute ago, sc302 said:

But did that really answer his first question?  You are making your recommendation on cost vs what is needed....I am merely suggesting that he needs Home as a minimum requirement and Pro is not needed based on what he wants to do.

That being said, and to make you feel better, go with what is free and get the Pro.

Yeah I said the same thing first also he only needs Home because of his needs, but then I saw he was running Pro, so free > paying for home.

6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

No it is not!

You know what we all mean by Standard, no point in arguing symantecs. You could even say Windows 10 vs Windows 10 Pro... There are two retails SKUs

+Gary7    7,372
Just now, sc302 said:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1302062-which-version-is-recommended/?do=findComment&comment=597481074

He asked a question and I answered it. Why does everything here have to turn into a debate or argument. With his version if he updates MS is going to give him Pro. If he wants to pay for ir he can get whatever he wants.  I am done with this.

xendrome    5,421
10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Actually, the main benefit of Pro is Hyper-V. It is a huge benefit for the minor price difference. It is useful for anyone that actually uses a computer for real work.

So by that thought process if you don't need Hyper-V, you aren't doing real work? That's foolish.

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Without your dedicated passion for accuracy there would be no discussion at all in this thread since the automatic upgrade to 10 Pro has no disadvantage.

As a minor point, to all the very knowledgeable (and look at the people is this thread I'm not being sarcastic) holders of PC wisdom answering here, it might be useful to consider the number of requests for help in the various forums here at Neowin that are still unresolved and some not even answered yet...

• Like 1

+Gary7    7,372

All I know is that if you are running Windows 7 Pro SP1 and chose to upgrade, MS is going to upgrade you to Windows 10 Pro. I had no choice and neither does anyone else. That is unless you want to pay for an inferior product.

• Like 1

Jim K    13,226

Pro

/thread

:)

• Like 1

DevTech    1,517
27 minutes ago, xendrome said:

So by that thought process if you don't need Hyper-V, you aren't doing real work? That's foolish.

It is not foolish because absolutely no disadvantage would incur to the OP if he accepted the free upgrade to WIndows 10 Pro.

However, you might rather typify my statement as an superfluous exaggeration to emphasize a point which is an irritating and sometimes amusing habit which is idiomatic of my posting style in forums.

DevTech    1,517
16 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Pro

/thread

:)

It was like a "Perfect Storm" - a thread that appeared at a particular time when a lot of very talented regulars were reading Neowin and noticed a ridiculously easy to answer question which led to a ridiculously long thread but all rather entertaining at the same time sort of like bringing M1 Tanks to a knife fight...

• Like 3

Cosmin    23

Installed W10 Pro here.. very satisfied with it's behavior. 

Thanks a lot for all your "battle" :) 

• Like 6

DevTech    1,517
12 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Installed W10 Pro here.. very satisfied with it's behavior. 

Thanks a lot for all your "battle" :) 

We like playing World of Wincraft! - The Elves won this time....

• Like 1

Mando    5,117

your friend is full of his own ***** pro is more than adequate for your needs. hes spreading fud.

and re: media creation tool, no it doesnt hold all the latest patches.

• Like 1

Cosmin    23

Ok.. I'm coming with my first question.. regarding W10.. trying to make it skip the login password, since I'm using it at home I got 2 account or something.. I must use the pin for the first one in order to continue at..login.

Also.. why it's a "Cosmi" at login..even on C:\Users :|

01.jpg

02.jpg

Mando    5,117
Just now, Cosmin said:

Ok.. I'm coming with my first question.. regarding W10.. trying to make it skip the login password, since I'm using it at home I got 2 account or something.. I must use the pin for the first one in order to continue at..login.

01.jpg

02.jpg

thats very odd. does the top profile use Microsoft login perhance? so its syncing with your Ms passport? Doesnt explain the shortened username though....

DevTech    1,517

You just didn't pay attention during the install.

I don't mean that in a bad way - Microsoft makes that extremely confusing on purpose to suck everyone into using a MS account for login. They are doing that for generally good reasons related to customer convenience and good security.

Off topic note: All the major players are increasingly trying to tie every human to a single account tied to a cell phone number under the umbrella of 2 factor authentication good security but when you add in IPV6 which gives everything on Planet Earth an individual IP address, we have a very scary Big Brother (Nazi-like) scenario slowly emerging. (I couldn't resist Godwin's Law)

I have set up computers both ways and have yet to find an advantage to a MS login. I have 5 Windows 10 computers surrounding me right now at my desk and I want each one to be set up differently so I use different MS accounts on each of them. This is 100% backwards to what Microsoft wants to see.

If you fit Microsoft's imagination of a single MS account on all your devices where everything gets synced from OneDrive in the cloud, then keep the MS account login and delete the other one. Otherwise you can google how to get rid of the MS account.

If you get rid of the MS account then go to the Windows Store app and pick any free app to download and install. It will ask you for a MS account, so select the option to sign in individually for each app. That way your MS account is registered on your computer to make Windows 10 work properly for a whole bunch of stuff without being intrusive in any way. And the options is misleading about signing into each app individually. You only end up doing it once for all apps.

DevTech    1,517
24 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Not important really, the install just invented a user ID based on the computer name. See my previous post for the details.

DevTech    1,517
54 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

The "duplicate account" issue appeared after install.. when I tried to skip login with password/pin..and I don't even know why It can\t be possible now. Used this method : 

https://techhelpkb.com/how-to-automatically-skip-the-windows-10-login-screen/ 

Also.. take a look here : 

Capture.PNG

That image is correct.

You need at least one user account on the PC!

On my Windows 10 computers that login with a MS Account instead of local, it shows up in that list instead of the local account.

satysin    208
On 01/07/2016 at 9:21 PM, Cosmin said:

why you all insist that Standard Edition is enough for all my needs ? main reason ? 

You will get 10 Pro from your current version via upgrade so just go with that. Honestly there isn't any other answer to your question.

DevTech    1,517
Just now, satysin said:

You will get 10 Pro from your current version via upgrade so just go with that. Honestly there isn't any other answer to your question.

It is reasonably polite to skim through all the posts in a thread before posting a reply.

This issue has  been beaten to death so much in this thread that we risk a Zombie Apocalypse rising on Planet Earth if we kill it in any more ways...

• Like 3

Gotenks98    544

All software runs on WIndows 10 regardless of the version. The only real differences you see is with the pro and enterprise and education version which is the ability to join a domain and use hyper-v. Either of which a home users will have zero need for. If for some reason you do need to create virtual machines a good free alternative with good performance is VMWare Workstation Player. It runs circles around virtualbox. Also the enterprise and education versions can not be downloaded with the media creation tool which only does Pro and Home. Acquiring those through legal means will cost money unless your a college student and your school has access to Dreamspark. Lastly the delay of updates really only matters if you are worried about going from 1 build of Windows 10 to another which only happens after a huge amount of time like 5 to 8 months unless your are in the insiders program then the builds are like 1 or 2 a week. These build changes will bring in new features. The other windows updates you get are just regular Windows updates. Stopping or having control over updates requires the system be on a domain and managed by a WSUS server. So unless your plan on running a 2012/2016 server you might as well forget about that.

Cosmin    23

If you get rid of the MS account then go to the Windows Store app and pick any free app to download and install. It will ask you for a MS account, so select the option to sign in individually for each app. That way your MS account is registered on your computer to make Windows 10 work properly for a whole bunch of stuff without being intrusive in any way.

:|

Capture.PNG

DevTech    1,517
51 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

:|

Capture.PNG

Might be an issue arising out of the upgrade or did you do a clean install?

For Windows Store, O/S must be on Drive C: with free space, Background Transfer Service must be on, Windows Update must be on, none of the hacks blocking Windows 10 phoning home etc

Also try an app you have never installed before as a test.

• Like 1

Cosmin    23

Clean install here.

All those are disabled.. there's no workaround except installing a wierd app from store? all the apps from store give that error.

Thanks for all your support

DevTech    1,517
Just now, Cosmin said:

Clean install here.

All those are disabled.. there's no workaround except installing a wierd app from store? 

Thanks for all your support

You can't disable that stuff and expect a modern Windows to function correctly.

The downloading of a "weird app" is a convenience tip from me and is not a work-around to anything.  If you can't find a useful app from the store, there is nothing wrong with downloading a tiny app and then uninstalling it again so that your MS account is saving wherever it should be in the Windows registry. The point of doing this is just a convenience tip to save a bunch of later login requests and weird time wasting issues you might encounter later. It is certainly not a tip Microsoft would suggest, but I find it useful on computers using a local account which is my personal preference.

Microsoft has a clear path of encouraging people to login to a MS account for everything. Then they have made it easy to login to Windows 10 devices by using PIN numbers, or a touch swipe pattern or via personal facial recognition in Windows Hello.

• Like 1