• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which version is recommended?

sc302    1,725

After dealing with life, this is fun. 

This (meaning the pics below) has topped off my week of losing power, losing Ac in the server room noc, and the ceo with memory errors on his surface. 

Someone was digging and got a little too ambitions while digging and hit the conduit that houses our fiber lines. Completely sheared one and the other well you can see for yourself. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DevTech    1,517
6 minutes ago, sc302 said:

fwiw, and on a more serious note, pebkac (in any iteration) isn't very useful and it could be considered attacking a member which does break the rules.  I am trying to poke fun of it and be light about it, other mods might not and hand out a warn. 

I don't think the OP is in disagreement with the assessment.

But thanks. I think you have a good point. It is just a humorous way to say something that is not the most compassionate thing. But also we all poke fun at ourselves for "User Error" such as my typing mistake earlier so I suppose there is a risk of being too "dry" as well. But on the whole I think I will avoid PEBKAC/PBKAC in the future.

• Like 2

DevTech    1,517
4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

After dealing with life this is fun. 

This is topped off my week of losing power, losing Ac in the server room noc, and the ceo with memory errors on his surface. 

Someone was digging and got a little too ambitions to the conduit that houses our fiber lines. Completely sheered one and the other well you can see for yourself. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's a severe sever. I hope you file a bug report at the highest severity level!

Well, if it helps at all, I'm pretty sure I've said other stuff in this thread that could use a good roasting...

T3X4S    4,532

A severe server sever so stubbornly shocking it simply stymies the synapses.

SMH

• Like 1

sc302    1,725

lol thanks.....if i get more great news tomorrow I might take you up on that....rofl. 

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

A severe server sever so stubbornly shocking it simply stymies the synapses.

SMH

lol

DevTech    1,517
14 minutes ago, sc302 said:

lol thanks.....if i get more great news tomorrow I might take you up on that....rofl. 

lol

One last time before I change my evil ways...

PEBDCAOC - Problem Exists Between Digger Controls And Operators Chair

which causes an attack of the NAZIS - Nasty A*** Zero Internet Service

(and we also confirm Godwin's Law all in the same crazy a*** thread)

• Like 2

Cosmin    23
On 7/8/2016 at 0:09 AM, DevTech said:

Well, I guess Step 1 for anything is keeping a positive mental attitude, and you have done that quite well.

Step 2 is don't change any default Windows 10 settings connected with fundamental Windows Services. Don't turn off any background services etc.

Step 3 is to remove the Microsoft Account Login so you just have a single Local Login

Step 4 is to make that Local Login automatic.

Step 5 is to change Power Stettings to turn off the login after screen turns off and after screen savers etc.

OK.. so did all above but no luck!

I have now only one local account..and no more other (erased all related with @outlook.com). Is there another trick related or why is this procedure so.. mandatory? 

Capture1.PNG

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0895.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

+Anarkii    2,250
30 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

OK.. so did all above but no luck!

I have now only one local account..and no more other (erased all related with @outlook.com). Is there another trick related or why is this procedure so.. mandatory? 

Capture1.PNG

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0895.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

If you want to sign in automatically if your the user just go to the 'ask me anything' bit in cortana, and type

netplwiz

Take the tick out of users must type their password to sign in, then click apply.
Then enter your login password twice, hit ok, and reboot. 
You will then be able to go straight to the desktop without doing a thing :)

Cosmin    23

already did that..as I've said.

Capture.PNG

Also..saw that windows does not start normal..even I select it and restart goes back to selective startup.. :|

Untitled.png

Edited by Cosmin

DevTech    1,517
17 hours ago, Cosmin said:

already did that..as I've said.

Capture.PNG

Also..saw that windows does not start normal..even I select it and restart goes back to selective startup.. :|

Untitled.png

As long as you can keep ignoring the spam to switch to a Microsoft Account, we can try to debug the issue without that getting in the way.

I've never seen Windows insisting on two accounts before. In the Group Policy Editor you can turn on the built-in Administrator account and then if you renamed it (don't know if it can be renamed) then the login screen would look like yours.

I assume the  accounts control panel does not show the extra user. Does it show up in C:\Users ?

Is there anything out of the ordinary with your hardware setup?

Do you have a dual boot with Linux etc?

Can you provide a list of applications you installed - large complex apps in particular and security apps and apps like hot keys and scripting that would have enough Admin access to install an extra account (due to some bug etc) There has to something different about your setup for this to happen every time.

Cosmin    23

Thanks a lot for your patience..anyway :)

Does it show up in C:\Users ?

Capture.JPG

Is there anything out of the ordinary with your hardware setup?

I don't think so .. 

Core i7 4770 - 8Gb RAM - EVGA GTX660 - Asus D2X ..nothing fancy.

Do you have a dual boot with Linux etc?

No.. only W10.

13 hours ago, DevTech said:

Can you provide a list of applications you installed - large complex apps in particular and security apps and apps like hot keys and scripting that would have enough Admin access to install an extra account (due to some bug etc) There has to something different about your setup for this to happen every time.

Sure..

Untitled-1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

DevTech    1,517
8 hours ago, Cosmin said:

Thanks a lot for your patience..anyway :)

Capture.JPG

I don't think so .. 

Core i7 4770 - 8Gb RAM - EVGA GTX660 - Asus D2X ..nothing fancy.

No.. only W10.

Sure..

Untitled-1.jpg

Capture2.jpg2nd account?

The "Cosmi" in C:\Users is the account you are using. At some point you must have renamed that account to Cosmin but the file name in users does NOT change when an account is renamed.

So I was wondering why we didn't see a second "Cosmin" in C:\Users then I thought perhaps you have never logged into that account - so can you log into that second account. We might be able to do something with it once it is active such as delete it or hide it.

Cosmin    23

I wonder where should be the place for erasing it..since Cosmin is actually a local account. 

Remove accounts gives me only the default one.. ;)

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

+Zlip792    482

1. Press 'Windows Key + X'

2. Navigate to System

3. Go to 'Advanced system settings'

4. Then in the second box 'User Profiles', press on 'Settings' and take screenshot and share here.

It could be related to 'User Profiles' mess up. Just a guess!

Also post screenshot from 'Work access ' and highlighted through below mentioned:

Screen these.PNG

• Like 1

Cosmin    23

Here they are.. ;)

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

+Zlip792    482
24 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Here they are.. ;)

~snipped~

Please post from 'Workaccess' as well (see second image of yours) to ensure that you don't have MDM or Domain profile.

Can you delete the credential from the following:

Start > RUN and type " rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr" (without quotes) to ensure that your other user accounts does not have any cached credentials and then go to "netplwiz" (through RUN as well) to ensure that "Users must enter a username..." is ticked (Yeah! I know someone above suggested to untick it, but please tick back).

Also go to START > RUN and type "lusrmgr.msc" and go to [Users] from the left hand column and ensure that no duplicate 'COSMIN' accounts are present in the right pane.

• Like 1

Cosmin    23

sorry :)

Capture.JPG

to ensure that your other user accounts does not have any cached credentials 

how to ensure that ? by removing them ? 

No duplicate Cosmin.. & ticked above.

Capture2.JPG

& Restart ? 

Edited by Cosmin

+Gary7    7,372

What is so hard about entering a password. When I worked for AT&T I had to login with a password that was generated on a key fob and it changed every time I logged out. Windows 10 Manger has a mod that will allow you to login automatically. You can just use the trial copy to do it.

Cosmin    23

& workeeeeed!!! No I have to type only the PIN .. very satisfied ! Thanks a lot!

maybe later.. I can pass the PIN with other tricks.. but I'm very happy with your tips!

Thanks!

• Like 2

+Zlip792    482
Just now, Cosmin said:

& workeeeeed!!! No I have to type only the PIN .. very satisfied ! Thanks a lot!

maybe later.. I can pass the PIN with other tricks.. but I'm very happy with your tips!

Thanks!

Please post the solution, which might have fixed it. So other users can benefit from it.

• Like 1

+Gary7    7,372

So you are all set now right? Everything is the way you want it. If so  I would create an image for backup.

Cosmin    23

it's the one described in your previous post :) all.. those steps were followed. 

I also have a worry.. cannot switch back to normal startup..but I've disabled some services & I quess these are the main reason. It is ok to live with selective startup ? 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

+Zlip792    482
2 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

it's the one described in your previous post :) all.. those steps were followed. 

I also have a worry.. cannot switch back to normal startup..but I've disabled some services & I quess these are the main reason. It is ok to live with selective startup ? 

~snipped~

As long as systems is running fine and not showing any error (hopeful that you didn't disable any critical services) then you are good to go. Congrats BTW! to run it little better than previously.

• Like 2

Cosmin    23

I would create an image for backup.

Restore point or..by using third-party software?

+Gary7    7,372
2 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Restore point or..by using third-party software?

I use Macrium Reflect. They have a free version. It works great. I do not use restore points. Takes up space and slows your machine down. I do an image every night Takes 7-8 minutes.

http://forum.macrium.com/Default.aspx

• Like 1