Microsoft is working on Surface All-in-One PC destined for your living room

Microsoft is developing a new Surface all-in-one (AIO) PC running Windows 10. The information comes from a reliable source who has confirmed the news with Windows Central and it follows an earlier report by Digitimes.

While Digitimes claims a Q3 2016 release for the alleged Surface AIO, our sourcing suggests such details are undecided at this time. Like other next-gen Surface products the timeframe for a Surface AIO will partially depend on availability for Intel's new Kaby Lake 14 nanometer processor, the successor to Skylake.

We can also add to the original report that the company is positioning the Surface AIO for the living room. The device is evidently targeting a "modern and elegant" design and is meant to be something akin to a premium appliance or furniture.

Unfortunately, any details about specifications and the Surface AIO design are not known at this time.

Our last report claimed that Microsoft is aiming for an early 2017 launch of new Surface tablets, and a planned "Surface phone", all linked to Windows 10 Redstone 2 general availability. Bringing the Surface AIO into that launch window would seem to make sense.

All-in-one PCs are an exciting development in modern computing. By combining a display with high-end hardware into a single device, the experience is similar to an appliance rather than a traditional PC tower, external peripherals, and messy wires connecting them all together.

Currently, Apple's iMac and Lenovo are the market leaders in AIO devices. Lenovo recently launched the Yoga Home 900 PC (seen above). That device features a 27-inch Full HD display running Intel Core i5 or i7 Broadwell CPUs. The device weighs 16 pounds but is a single, large tablet that can run on an internal battery for up to three hours. The Yoga Home 900 can be propped up on a Surface-like kickstand or laid flat as a table-top tablet, which is ironically reminiscent of the original Surface (now called Microsoft PixelSense).

While bringing Windows 10 and modern computing to the home's congregation area seems like an obvious market, no one has fully cracked it yet with any success.

Source: http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-working-surface-all-one

I'd imagine it's something like this:

cintiq-27qhd-touch-product-specification

37 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

I'll take two!

$4000 plz

Edited by illegaloperation

There are two sceneries here: the economic or high end markets. There are AIO computers with touch capabilities for less than $400. Microsoft could succeed in this market with an attractive device but low end hardware. Now they could also release an expensive one that could compete with the high end iMac.

4 minutes ago, macoman said:

There are two sceneries here: the economic or high end markets. There are AIO computers with touch capabilities for less than $400. Microsoft could succeed in this market with an attractive device but low end hardware. Now they could also release an expensive one that could compete with the high end iMac.

Definitely the latter. No way is Microsoft going into the low end.

13 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

Definitely the latter. No way is Microsoft going into the low end.

I agreed, I have not see a surface yet that target the low end.

If it works for the Mac why not Windows.  The only problem is Microsoft going to cut off the rest of the computer industry as has Apple.  if so is the Linux community going to be ready to compete with Windows and Mac OS systems. . .:shiftyninja:

9 minutes ago, Pam14160 said:

If it works for the Mac why not Windows.  The only problem is Microsoft going to cut off the rest of the computer industry as has Apple.  if so is the Linux community going to be ready to compete with Windows and Mac OS systems. . .:shiftyninja:

To be fair, there aren't any  Windows PCs (at least none that I can think of)  that can compete with the 27-inch iMac 5K.

11 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

To be fair, there aren't any  Windows PCs (at least none that I can think of)  that can compete with the 27-inch iMac 5K.

In what way?

7 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

True but to be fair... there has to be something that the iMac does not offer to be competitive at a very expensive hardware at that level. Touch capabilities could be the difference. There is not a single iMac that have touch capabilities. 

10 minutes ago, Pam14160 said:

If it works for the Mac why not Windows.  

Except there are always people who are begging Apple to make an "xMac" where you have a tower with replaceable components inside.

illegal is right... the 5K iMac is a gorgeous beast.  But in 5 years the screen will still look amazing... yet its Broadwell or Skylake CPUs will be woefully inadequate.  All-in-ones are basically an appliance.  Use it and then get rid of everything and start over.

All this being said... the kinds of people interested in an AIO aren't the type to upgrade them anyway. :) 

1 hour ago, illegaloperation said:

What's your current PC?

AMD 8350 8-core, 16 gig RAM, 1 tera-byte drive, dual wifi, DVD burner, many USB ports and expansion slots. HD 32" monitor.

There isn't much that it can't do.

1 minute ago, Hum said:

AMD 8350 8-core, 16 gig RAM, 1 tera-byte drive, dual wifi, DVD burner, many USB ports and expansion slots. HD 32" monitor.

It probably doesn't have a multi-touch screen and pen support.

Just now, illegaloperation said:

It probably doesn't have a multi-touch screen and pen support.

My tablet is frustrating enuff.

I don't want a touch screen PC.

35 minutes ago, Hum said:

Well I didn't think the obvious needed to be stated but, this isn't for you then. Not everyone has the same needs and wants as you. 

41 minutes ago, Hum said:

You say that but you haven't experienced performance yet ;)

12 hours ago, Hum said:

You asked what it has that your current PC doesn't and I answered.

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that others don't.